Author Topic: Hellgate: London  (Read 49960 times)

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Hellgate: London
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2007, 04:02:50 PM »
Well you can always play for free, then if you like the game, pay for a few months if you want. Im not paying the 150$ founders fee thats for sure, and surely there will be a lot of good mmorpgs coming out next year, so just paying the monthly fee i know i can stop playing it without losing too much money.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
Yes except that I don't pay to play games online.  So 2 months would be a little too much.
[snapback]38219[/snapback]
/agree

I might even give Fury a second chance except that it is the same thing. They let you play free monthly but you're being left out of a good amount of things that you want if you are to play the game.

I just feel its not worth the initial $50 if you dont get the same options as people who can afford to pay their bitch fee.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »
200 dollars for a game? I remember when it was 5-20.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:31 PM »
It's insanity.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2007, 10:11:16 PM »
Its the same than paying for any other online game... at least hellgate has offline mode and lets you play for free.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »
Its the same than paying for any other online game...
[snapback]38233[/snapback]
I think the point is that we don't.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »
Well, as you know, Throbble and I are both vehemently against the whole concept of pay-to-play games. We've discussed the issue with gamers and game makers for years and we always came to the same conclusion: We'd rather pay one large, lump sum up front for lifetime access rather than allow our funds to be drained monthly for as long as we want to play the game.

Consider this fictional Diablo 2 scenario. Let's say that when Diablo 2 was announced in the late 90's Blizzard said that it was not financially feasible to host a game as huge and complex as D2 on Battle.net for free. Let's say they decided they would charge $10 a month to play Diablo 2 online.

Now, Throbble and I have been playing D2 online continuously since it was released (2000), for simplicity sake we'll say it's been exactly 7 years to the month. That means each of us would have spent $840 to play Diablo 2 for the past 84 months. Considering this, we would both be happy to slap down $150 a piece up front for lifetime access.

That's the basic argument behind the option of paying the lump sum.

But Hellgate isn't really pay-to-play anyway since the entire single player game is free to play online and there is no restrictions stopping non-subscribers from playing with subscribers.

[snapback]38224[/snapback]

Alltough that is a very good explanation and it would come cheaper to you guys if you pay lifesubscription indeed.

But what if the game becomes a dissapointment and you don't play it more then one or two months?
there you paid 200$ for a game that you play for a month or two....
i saw a review today of the game it had a score of 82(while the wicher got close to 90 lol) here they said the quests were too repetive and the storyline sucked, I think the devs of Hellgate London concentrated the most on items and the itemfever then the storyline and the quests, I mean I probably will buy hellgate london but won't pay monthly for it not worth it in my opinion.

BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
The Witcher is only single player isnt it? because that doesnt matter much with hellgate, but yeah seems like hellgate storyline isnt so bright but who cares, i never pay attention to online games storyline :0.

But yeah im with razor when it comes to pay the funders fee.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:58:52 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
The Witcher is only single player isnt it? because that doesnt matter much with hellgate, but yeah seems like hellgate storyline isnt so bright but who cares, i never pay attention to online games storyline :0.

But yeah im with razor when it comes to pay the funders fee.
[snapback]38245[/snapback]

yes the witcher is only a singleplayer game but man oh man i mean seriously the story, hell man the graphics i'm gonna search and find a way to post screens this weekend because believe me when you see the game you won't no you can't believe that the witcher runs on the same engine like nwn2 because it looks sooooooooooo much better, detailed and cooler.
you'll see
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2007, 05:58:55 PM »
But what if the game becomes a dissapointment and you don't play it more then one or two months?
there you paid 200$ for a game that you play for a month or two....
[snapback]38243[/snapback]
Bioshock wasn't a disappointment but I payed $50 to play it for two weeks. Once you finish it there isn't really any "replayability" to it. Great storyline, great single player RPG, great gameplay, but in the end there is no staying power because there is no multiplayer option.

In that regard, $200 is pretty paltry considering that the beta has sucked away both Throbble's and my life over the past couple weeks. (The item drops are really the determinant factor, it's the whole reason we still play D2 after all.)

I was thoroughly disappointed with Guild Wars but I still played it for a year before giving up on it. So, if I pay $200 and give Hellgate a year then it's still a $170 value ($50 for game + $10/Month for 12 months). Which means if I give up on it after a year I've lost $30 but if it keeps my interest for at least 3 more months I break even, after that it's all free subscription.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:00:19 PM by 420 »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
Razor i already knew about the witcher since months b4 summer and ive already watched trailers and screenshots, i live in spain not in a cave... i have internet :P

But like 420 said its just a single player game, when you beat it, there isnt much more to it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:32:05 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2007, 12:19:27 AM »
[attachmentid=1348]Okay so first hour on the euro beta and now i got this little bueaty. Heres one for your item guide 420 the prfix "prosperous"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:20:12 AM by cuchulann »
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2007, 01:33:30 AM »
Bioshock wasn't a disappointment but I payed $50 to play it for two weeks. Once you finish it there isn't really any "replayability" to it. Great storyline, great single player RPG, great gameplay, but in the end there is no staying power because there is no multiplayer option.

In that regard, $200 is pretty paltry considering that the beta has sucked away both Throbble's and my life over the past couple weeks. (The item drops are really the determinant factor, it's the whole reason we still play D2 after all.)

I was thoroughly disappointed with Guild Wars but I still played it for a year before giving up on it. So, if I pay $200 and give Hellgate a year then it's still a $170 value ($50 for game + $10/Month for 12 months). Which means if I give up on it after a year I've lost $30 but if it keeps my interest for at least 3 more months I break even, after that it's all free subscription.

[snapback]38247[/snapback]

Sure.  But then there are games like NWN that don't cost money to play online.  It's the fact that we've all played that game for, in my case over 4 years, and with you and D2 even longer.  It just makes it seem like these pay to play games are just there to extract your dollars while never coming close to providing the entertainment that a game like NWN was able to do, while being free of charge.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2007, 02:39:09 AM »
Come on Mo, it's unfair to compare the online aspect of NWN to games like HGL or Diablo2 or WoW even, and I'll tell ya' why. Because NWN was designed for the community aspect. If you have the gumption and the resources, you can make NWN do anything you want. games like D2 and HGL rely on even though the story is always the same, there are several ways to get the task done. So its better to compare them to the main campaigns made by bioware. So imagine if you did not have the toolset and could only play the NWN campaigns made by the host. It gets old pretty fast when you think on it like that. Games like HGl and D2 are made to create random areas, encounters and item drops, so like as Forrest once said, "You never know what you're gonna get." That now leads me to the PvP aspect. When one plays a sever contolled game like HGL and D2 relentlessy they have a better chance of acquiring powerful items where in a server like GS items are completly balanced and the factors which are most important are the players mental ability to create a good duelist and their physical ability to use it. So in a nutshell with games that are server controlled we have to play by their rules but games like NWN we can play by our own rules.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2007, 07:28:37 AM »
I havent been invited to any beta yet... lame!! >_>
I do have the full game already but its encrypted on the EA dl manager so i cant install it untill the release day xD

Do i have to do anything or i just should receive an email? :0

Well its not a big deal, 3 days to release and i already have the game so that good enough, at least i didnt have to start downloading it in the release day ^^.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:52:44 AM by tyrael084 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Tyrael: You should get an email informing you that your account is now active. Did you create an account and enter your preorder code on the Hellgate: London web site?

Cuchulann: To add to what he said: Unlike NWN, online Hellgate is being hosted by the developer, so they are also providing all the server hardware and anti-cheat support.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
Err no when i try to create an acc in the hellgate london page i get a forbidden access error :0, i think it doesnt let create accounts anymore for now, maybe i had to create the acc the same day i preordered the game.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »
Point is that even with all those things that cuchulann and 420 mention.  NWN is still more fun.  Free content created not to make any profit and free servers end up offering better gaming experiences than these rip off mainstream servers like WoW and all the others.  Explain that.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »
Well the most part of the nwn players stopped playing nwn to go to those mainstream ripoff servers :0, anyways 9$ its nothin.. i probably lose even more change in my couch and even going to the cinema its more expensive these days and its for just 2 hours, im fine with the 9$ if that keeps them adding new stuff and making the game better, besides if you just dont want to pay, you can still play for free (and no other pay to play game lets you do that besides dungeon runners but thats just 5$)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:39:56 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2007, 06:38:43 PM »
NWN is still more fun.  Free content created not to make any profit and free servers end up offering better gaming experiences than these rip off mainstream servers like WoW and all the others.  Explain that.
[snapback]38256[/snapback]
I think you explained it pretty well actually.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
I honestly don't see what the fuss is about actually....

if multiplayer in Hellgate London is a bit same like Diablo 2 then they have no right to charge for it actually all you do is slash monsters for better items and a bit pvp in it, oh wait yeah you pay for them to add new items, new areas, server protection right, right but wait a second didn't Diablo 2 had those things too and what?? it was for free???
LOL give me a break!

meh honestly i'm only buying the game for singleplayer I played like Diablo 2 multiplayer for like 2 weeks or so.....

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2007, 09:01:49 PM »
D2 Multiplayer died for me when 1.10 patch came out. 1.09 was awesome, the patch ruined the game for me, I pretty much quit after that. Well, I admit it wasn't all the patch, but it was the main reason behind my quitting. The bots and hackers definitely helped though too.

Yeah, Cuch, I was gunna say, that doesn't change Mo's point. Since you grouped D2 and HGL in comparison to NWN, while D2 multiplayer with full features is free like NWN and HGL is not. Not that you didn't raise good points, just that they can't really be grouped when it comes to free multiplayer.

HGL does sound alot sweeter due to free online play and single player, that puts it apart from other pay to play games. But nonetheless, that "people who pay for it get more features" thing... has always pissed me off.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »
Well seems like diablo 2 didnt had any protection and it was full of hackers and that made most people leave, but i really dont care, its always the same when a game announces it will have a monthly fee option, in my opinion WoW sucks but a lot of ppl still pay for it.

If Hellgate its a success more people will pay for it and if its not, they will most likely remove the monthly fee, but i dont think that will happen because even dungeon runners that is just a D2 wannabe with the ramdom maps and ramdom loot with crappy graphics has a little fee for extra stuff and seems its still doing fine, just the loot hunt for better stuff makes it fun... and hellgate its a way improved version of that system.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2007, 10:38:48 PM »
What system!? Isn't that what almost every RPG/MMORPG is like? The hunt for better stuff and cash (to use for buying more and/or better stuff) to improve your character in some way shape or form, as well as fighting and leveling/gaining points/whatever to also improve your character?

Of course there are storylines and challenges and whatnot, and that makes it an RPG, however, we're just talking about the backbone here. This is especially the case in mmorpg's obviously, as they lack a certain amount of plot and storyline for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:39:50 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Chard!

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2007, 06:58:18 AM »
It all comes down to trying to be "better" then someone else in MMORPG's. I think most of us can admit that that's what they're after when playing games like WoW or GW.

Who cares about the storyline in quests? All we look at is the amount of gold or exp it will give us. Who cares about roleplaying? All you want is one of the most expensive and coolest looking gear around. Then all we want is to just show it off to people.

"Pwning" others is what it's all about.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:58:52 AM by Chard! »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
I meant the Diablo 2 system.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:22:23 AM by tyrael084 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »
Were you talking to me in that post, Tyrael? If so, I see, sorry. lol.

That's what MMORPG's are like, Chard, that's why I don't like them... that whole way of playing is pointless to me.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »
lol i'm prolly getting the game tomorrow i don't know why but it's been a long time since i had the itemfever lol....

EDIT So i got the game it has really the good old diablo 2 feeling lol pretty nice, i must say i'm a bit dissapointed on the gfx of the game i'm playing everything on max and well even the witcher for me looks a lot better then hellgate oh well i'm nog playing for the graphics gimme cool armor and weapons lol i like shiny stuff hehe
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:27:12 AM by Razor Blade »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
I already have the game aswell, i just had to wait untill EA dl manager would let me install it (since it was encrypted), so im playing now :P but since i made an european acc it always says wrong password when i try to enter US server, so im playing on Sidonis server or somethin like that, razor your playing online or just the single player?.

My name is Tyraell btw someone had already taken Tyrael >_<.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »
I already have the game aswell, i just had to wait untill EA dl manager would let me install it (since it was encrypted), so im playing now :P but since i made an european acc it always says wrong password when i try to enter US server, so im playing on Sidonis server or somethin like that, razor your playing online or just the single player?.

My name is Tyraell btw someone had already taken Tyrael >_<.
[snapback]38279[/snapback]

single player atm....multiplayer fun?

btw lvl 5 blademaster with two kickass swords lol!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:46:21 PM by Razor Blade »