Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 17596 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
Coming out in August this is the 3rd Deus Ex title and it is a prequal to the original. It takes place before nano-tech so you use chemical enhancements instead.

Here is a gameplay trailer that shows 3 different methods for getting through a short area early game. No real spoilers.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gameplay Trailer

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
Here is another trailer showing off 3 ways to complete the same objective:

2nd Trailer

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
One things for sure, the music in the CGI Trailer is freak'n epic! Been listening to it on repeat for the last 10hrs.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
One things for sure, the music in the CGI Trailer is freak'n epic! Been listening to it on repeat for the last 10hrs.
The music in the what what?

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
Fucking awesome! Hadn't seen that one before.

Did you see the Sarif Industries "commercial"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLiIS6yjg5A

oh and: http://www.sarifindustries.com/

And.... http://www.deusex.com/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:16:01 AM by Ivon »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
ARGH! I'm going crazy (even crazier than normal!) because I see all these friends on Steam playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution (released 8/23/11) but I got the Best Buy pre-order package online because their retail store employees are too stupid to know what a pre-order is and I won't get it until the 30th!!! FUCK!

Oh, and this is hilarious. I've never seen a company try so hard to go out of business: GameStop under fire for removing free coupons from Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Video game retail giant GameStop has been opening up brand new PC game boxes of the critically-acclaimed shooter Deus Ex: Human Revolution and removing packed-in coupons granting free copies of the game to users of the OnLive cloud gaming service.

Idiots,

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
Still ordering boxed version huh? Join us in the 21th century 420!  I'm gonna grab it from Steam in a few weeks. 

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
Still ordering boxed version huh? Join us in the 21th century 420!  I'm gonna grab it from Steam in a few weeks. 
You'll get my floppy disks (both 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" DD and HD), CDs, and DVDs when you pry them from my cold dead hands!

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »

Sadly, you still have to....SWTOR: CE  :(

Digital Deluxe is missing the merchant and "mouse" companion, which is stupid...wtf do I need the soundtrack (piratebay) or the dumb figurine >:|

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »
Fuck that shit anyway; I'm with 420. Physical copies,  please.

Maybe I am oldschool, but at least I have a physical copy I can shove up the company's ass when they piss me off with their fucking bullshit.

Sure there are some things I buy digital; convenience and lack of other options being the reason usually in those cases. GoG, is an example of digital I opt for, but a lot of those original physical copies for those games won't even run properly without fucktons of tweaking. That would be awesome if they could fix up the old installments of the TES series and put em up. Anyway, a lot of DLC doesn't give me much of an option (when it's for console), either.

What pisses me off is map packs that cost $15 a piece and add four fucking maps... Then they later release an all inclusive version of the game. Fuckers.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
OK, I came home from lunch yesterday to find Deus Ex waiting for me in the lobby.

My first problem was figuring out which of the 3 codes on the little glossy inserts go where. Then after trying all 3, unsuccessfully, just to install the game I discovered a 4th code on the back of the manual. Which was the actual code. The other one being my preorder code which I was able to figure out. Never found out what the other 2 are for.

So, then I start the game and decided to try it out on "normal" difficulty (that is, the one with the description "The way Deus Ex was intended to be played." or some such). After a lengthy (and I mean lengthy) cut-scene I finally get to go up against my first baddies and the first guys I go up against kill me! WTF!?!?

At that point I decided to shut that shit off and go play some Brink.

So, I get up this morning and ask Throbblefoot if she wants to check out the opening cut-scene for Deus Ex. So I start it up, get to the elevator scene with the douchebag with ponytail complaining about firewalls and the fucking game crashes!

At this point I decided to make breakfast while Throbble watched the opening sequence again and discovered some interesting stuff to interact with at the very start. We got through that and I figured out how to get through the first encounter (same difficulty level) and went on to finally get to the opening credits.

Very cool opening credits.

Now it's time for lunch. More later.

EDIT: Corrections
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:31:02 PM by 420 »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
You don't like stealth...do you? :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »
That's some review ! :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
Just bought it on Steam.  60 mins to download on my new 25M connection :):)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »
In other words, he's excited as shit.

And we won't see him for 3 days...

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
In other words, he's excited as shit.

And we won't see him for 3 days...

Celebrate tiem is now, yes?

:P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
Just bought it on Steam.  60 mins to download on my new 25M connection :):)
That reminds me, AT&T has been attempting (ie epic failing) to upgrade my DSL to the new "Uverse" fiber optics system for 4 weeks now! Fucking morons. I better not get charged for this shit.

Deus Ex is a ton of fun btw. Lots of reading if you choose to examine everything, which helps with immersion into the story. I noticed that my pre-order pack from Best Buy is slightly different than originally advertised however. Instead of a "reusable hacking tool" (whatever that was supposed to be) I get a double-barreled shotgun which, while cool, takes up a bunch of inventory space. That, combined with the massive amount of space taken up by the pre-order silenced sniper rifle, basically cuts your starting inventory in half at the beginning of the game.

Oh, and I just got the 1st season of 3rd Rock from the Sun for my birthday, thanks Throbble!

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 05:55:33 PM »
lawl, uverse sucks..AT&T should stick with phones :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
Ya this game is good.  We in Montreal know how to do good work hmmm :)

Gonna try to get through the game with 100% stealth.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
Oh, and I just got the 1st season of 3rd Rock from the Sun for my birthday, thanks Throbble!

Tom's Dick is Harry. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
I finished the game Sunday and really enjoyed nearly all of it. It was very reminiscent of the original title in visual aesthetics and storyline. Being a paranoid person by nature I also enjoyed the conspiracy-within-a-conspiracy aspect.

The only major problem I had with the game was the "boss fights" which Eidos outsourced to a company called GRIP Entertainment who specialize in FPS games. Which means your stealth, hacker, sniper, and non-lethal builds are useless against any of the bosses. I used a sniper/hacker build because I had the preorder silenced sniper rifle and the difficulty of the boss battles were insane as compared to the general gameplay leading up to them.

That is, until I found the secret to making every boss fight super easy:

(Minimal spoilers beyond this point.)

Get the Typhoon Augmentation, it will take down any of the bosses in 2 hits.

You can check out screenshots on my Steam Screenshot Page

Also check out the sweet attached pic.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:24:16 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
I finished the game Sunday and really enjoyed nearly all of it. It was very reminiscent of the original title in visual aesthetics and storyline. Being a paranoid person by nature I also enjoyed the conspiracy-within-a-conspiracy aspect.

The only major problem I had with the game was the "boss fights" which Eidos outsourced to a company called GRIP Entertainment who specialize in FPS games. Which means your stealth, hacker, sniper, and non-lethal builds are useless against any of the bosses. I used a sniper/hacker build because I had the preorder silenced sniper rifle and the difficulty of the boss battles were insane as compared to the general gameplay leading up to them.

That is, until I found the secret to making every boss fight super easy:

(Minimal spoilers beyond this point.)

Get the Typhoon Augmentation, it will take down any of the bosses in 2 hits.

You can check out screenshots on my Steam Screenshot Page

Also check out the sweet attached pic.

I think I'm almost finished too just got to the Arctic.  As for the boss fights, that was a general consensus and Edios acknowledged it.  I'm playing 100% non-lethal/hacker.  I haven't killed one NPC all game.  I heard about the boss fights being the way they are so I keep a couple of machine guns handy for these encounters.  They are hard until you figure out the rudimentary AI the bosses have, then it's not too hard find their attack pattern and bring them down with guns or the stun gun (very effective against bosses).  I did die on them a lot trying to figure out the pattern though.

I like the shoutouts to Montreal made in the game.  Sneaking around the Olympic Stadium was especially fun (retrofitted in game as a news station headquarters.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:16:49 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
They are hard until you figure out the rudimentary AI the bosses have, then it's not too hard find their attack pattern and bring them down with guns or the stun gun (very effective against bosses).
Ooo, good advice! On my next playthrough I was planning to go completely non-lethal to get the achievement. (Killing bosses doesn't count against the achievement.) But it's good to know that non-lethal weapons are effective against them.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »
Ooo, good advice! On my next playthrough I was planning to go completely non-lethal to get the achievement. (Killing bosses doesn't count against the achievement.) But it's good to know that non-lethal weapons are effective against them.

Yup.  I'd pack some heat just in case anyway ;)

At the start of the game in Detroit there were these two punks next to a basketball court.  Anyway I knocked them both out.  On my way back around there some time later I noticed one of them was dead.  Not sure how he died cause I didn't think I killed him, maybe I bug.  I probably won't get the achievement cause this prick died on me...we'll see.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
At the start of the game in Detroit there were these two punks next to a basketball court.  Anyway I knocked them both out.  On my way back around there some time later I noticed one of them was dead.  Not sure how he died cause I didn't think I killed him, maybe I bug.  I probably won't get the achievement cause this prick died on me...we'll see.
I remember those guys. Did you use the non-lethal takedown or a weapon? Also, did you check to see if they were both "asleep" at the time you took them down? If you did a takedown it's possible you may have held the button too long and twisted his head, where the cinematic doesn't look as lethal as the blades.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
I remember those guys. Did you use the non-lethal takedown or a weapon? Also, did you check to see if they were both "asleep" at the time you took them down? If you did a takedown it's possible you may have held the button too long and twisted his head, where the cinematic doesn't look as lethal as the blades.

I must have held the button too long though it really didn't seem like I killed him at the time.  Oh well I'll chalk that one up to an accident...

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
I must have held the button too long though it really didn't seem like I killed him at the time.  Oh well I'll chalk that one up to an accident...
It would be nice to have some sort of indication when an achievement becomes unavailable. While I find the achievement system novel (the first game I owned on Steam was Fallout: New Vegas) I think it's seriously lacking in details.

Right now there is an achievement in Brink where I have to beat every map in "Campaign Mode" on both sides. I've only played online, because single player sucks, and I know I beat most of the maps on both sides (it says the achievement is close to completion) but there is no indication which maps for which sides I haven't beaten in Campaign Mode.

Rant over,