Author Topic: Brink  (Read 18161 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Brink
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
If you are familiar with the game developer Splash Damage, creators of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars then you may be interested to hear that they have a new title coming out called Brink which they showcased at E3 this year.

Like there other two titles the game will be an objective-based multiplayer FPS. However, unlike the other titles, Brink will have a single player storyline (which can also be played co-op with friends online). In addition you will be able to switch between single player and co-op at any point in the story.

Two things that really stand out are the ridiculous amount of character avatar customization and the SMART (Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain) system which allows you to automatically interact with your environment in an intuitive way. So say I'm heading toward a low railing, I just hold down the "sprint" key and I'll automatically vault over it when I get close enough.

Links

Screenshots: Brink page on Splash Damage Web Site

Trailer and other cinematics: Brink Official Web Site

Make sure to crank this up to HD quality and go full screen: E3 2010 Demo Gameplay

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Brink
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
It's been a long time since a FPS shooter really got me interested.  Well not since Unreal Tournament, and I haven't played a FPS the whole way through since Halo 2.  I'm hoping for a new game to get me back into that genre.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
So, if anyone is interested in getting their asses handed to them (or would like to join us in handing asses out) then pre-order Brink and get goodies:

Brink Pre-order Packages

Throbble and I will be sporting the Fallout pack.

If you don't know what Brink is, it's basically the most recent incarnation of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:16:41 AM »
Hmm...it has potential.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
Brink Releasing a Week Early!

We're very excited to announce that Brink's release date is moving up a whole week - the game is now set to be released on May 10 in the US, and May 13 in Europe and Australia.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:36:50 PM by Mo »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
Brink Releasing a Week Early!

Oh Ya? No Canada? Pricks.

PS.  It says 420's post was edited by me.  I accidentally hit modified instead of quote.  His post is not modified.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
Oh Ya? No Canada? Pricks.
Oh, I thought you would have figured it out by now. The US annexed Canada after 9/11. We told all the other nations, guess we forgot to inform the Canadians... I mean, the "Neo-Americans".

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »

First Impressions of Brink

I came home on Friday to find the two pre-ordered copies of Brink had arrived. After two days of posting to the Splash Damage forum and trying to contact Steam/Valve I was finally able to install Brink on Throbblefoot's computer. Full Details on the Splash Damage Forum

So, now that I have the game installed on both of our computers we are unable to connect to each others games. So that's the next technical issue we need to address.

Aside from that there seems to be numerous technical difficulties with the game with many people complaining about other players being invisible, game crashes after a few minutes play or the game just not starting at all. While some of these complaints are valid it seems a few don't meet the minimum system requirements (ie you must have a dual core processor).

Throbblefoot has a superior machine to mine and the game runs and looks great. The game was a bit choppy for me on my nVidia 8600 (minimum req. 8800) until I updated my graphics drivers (it had been about a year since the last time I updated). Now it runs pretty smooth but I get some minor graphics glitches after playing for about 30 minutes.

I suspect there are a bunch of memory leaks that Splash Damage will have to patch but the game graphics and storyline are amazing. Throbblefoot was a bit frustrated with the "challenge missions" aspect of the game but the campaign is much more interesting. I'll post some feedback on the multiplayer part once we figure out how to get into a game together.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:17:20 PM by 420 »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »
Dear god...8600 o_O

Should have gone with EVGA during "Tax Season" got a $349 GTX 570 with a $50 mail-in rebate.

For you I'd say:

GTX 550: $150
GT 520: $60

-both are PCI-E 2.0 16x

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
Every review of the game mentions numerous game breaking bugs.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
Every review of the game mentions numerous game breaking bugs.
Yeah, sort of ironic that they decided the game was "finished" and released it a week early. Finally figured out a way for Throbblefoot and I to play together. Even though I post the game to the internet she has to join using the LAN option. I've even freed up the necessary ports but it seems that they need to fix some multiplayer aspects as well as graphics glitches.

Multiplayer is fun though, though we've only kicked bot ass. Still need to try our skills against real people.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
Sounds like another game rushed to release to repay the investors.....sigh

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:50:56 PM »
Sounds like another game rushed to release to repay the investors.....sigh
What really confuses me is the history of Splash Damage and their relationship with id Software. Their first game, Enemy Territory was supposed to be an expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein but they focused on multiplayer and didn't bother with making a new campaign storyline so they released it as a free game (with id Software's financial support I assume). Throbblefoot, myself and a number of friends played that game for years because there was nothing else like it out there: a multiplayer team objective based game with persistent experience and rewards for free.

Then, soon after id released Quake 4, Splash Damage made Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. They charged a normal game price for it ($50 or $60) and it's one of my favorite games of all time. (I think I may have developed carpal tunnel syndrome playing it.)

Then, there was a long pause for any new stuff from Splash Damage while ZeniMax acquires id Software, Bethesda, and Splash Damage.

Now Brink. The first game by Splash Damage released on multiple platforms (consoles + PC) suffers from game breaking bugs, depending on your PC's hardware config. It turns out that people running Win 7 64 bit with a nVidia 4xx or higher can't even play the game as it freezes their computers and they have to do a hard reboot.

Luckily, Throbblefoot and I are playing olde skool with our Win XP OS and "old" nVidia cards.

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad for a game developer and they seem to be trying to furiously patch the PC version. Though I wonder why so few people from Valve/Steam and Splash Damage were even available over the weekend four days after release. Throbblefoot works in software development and she had to work the entire weekend and it wasn't even a release week!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:55:04 PM by 420 »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »
Hehe, that's why I don't bother with release...unless it's an MMO; then I'll bite.

...though I do laugh when shit like this happens, what the hell did they test the game on; or did they even bother to....

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:13:51 AM »
Hehe, that's why I don't bother with release...unless it's an MMO; then I'll bite.

...though I do laugh when shit like this happens, what the hell did they test the game on; or did they even bother to....
They tested the game on consoles and on PC hardware from five years ago.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:26 AM »
Or just tested it on Consoles (lololol).

If Brink can live for....3months it should get better; patches and all that.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
Apparently, Brink is going to have DLCs (which is just stupid) and Splash Damage is apologizing for the buggy release by offering the first DLC, due in June, for free.

I just don't see how this business model is supposed to work. Their first game was free, their second game cost a standard amount and needed a few patches to fix minor bug. Now they think they are going to (eventually) charge money for DLCs to a game that can't be played on Windows 7. Very confusing.

I plan to upgrade my video card in the next few days to a 4xx or 5xx nVidia. From what I've seen on the Brink forums it shouldn't be a problem on a Win XP system.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:17:11 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 09:36:28 AM »
All this from an independently owned dev.  Strange.  Maybe they bit off more than they can chew here.

DLC is a big money maker that's why they are offering them.  All about the profits.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
Maybe they bit off more than they can chew here.
Throbblefoot and I said the same thing at the same time about it yesterday. Spooky.

DLC is a big money maker that's why they are offering them.  All about the profits.
No it isn't! It's all about the game man! *sobs* it's... all... about... the... game. *sniff*

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
After nearly a month of playing and posting to the Splash Damage forums I have some updates and, thanks to our bartender coming into work sick, Throbble and I have been sick for the past week so we've had a lot of time to spend playing Brink.

First a rant about computer hardware:
The patches are coming fast and furious, almost daily, and it's making a big improvement. I bought a nVidia GeForce 460 GTX only to find out that my pre-Alienware Dell computer has a 150w power supply (wtf!?!?) which can't support the new card. Frankly, I'm surprised it runs the 8600 GT and Sound Blaster XF-i cards that I bought for it. Throbble's Alienware case Dell has a 750w but I doubt her 9800 GTX will run in my computer. And that's not to mention the fucking proprietary power supply and hardware connections that means I need to go out and buy a bunch of splitters even if it could run it.

So, after years of speaking highly of Dell. Fuck them.

With my current card I get about 20 fps, which isn't too bad when I got a team of real people going up against a team of bots (the bots tend to use the same appearance). The problem crops up when we get into a full 8 humans vs. 8 humans match. The customization for your avatar's look is extremely diverse (I'll post some pics later) and rendering all those unique looks bogs down my computer.

Now to the gameplay!
I find the character customization to be pretty amazing. Not only for the look of your character (each character you create has a unique look depending on if they are on the Security team or the Resistance team) but also for the weapon loadout and weapon mods available. Also, the body type (light, medium, or heavy) makes a huge difference in appearance, movement, and weapon options.

Currently I have 4 max level (20) characters:

Engineer Build: Medium, Primary Weapon: Fallout pre-order sub-machine gun, Secondary: machine pistol
Operative Build: Light, Primary Weapon: Fallout pre-order sub-machine gun, Secondary: machine pistol
Soldier Build: Heavy, Primary Weapon: minigun, Secondary: Fallout pre-order sub-machine gun
Medic Build: Medium, Primary Weapon: Fallout pre-order sub-machine gun, Secondary: machine pistol

Splash Damage came up with a pretty interesting use for the secondary weapon, at max level you can choose a skill that allows you to fire your secondary weapon while you are down (incapacitated but not dead) so you can dish out some damage while you wait for a medic to revive you.

I thought Engineer would be my favorite class because it was most similar to the Field Ops class from ET and ET:QW in that they hand out ammo. But without the artillery and air strikes (which don't exist at all in the game) it's just not the same.

I find Operative to be extremely fun to play however, as there is always something for them to do, Firewall the com station our team just captured, throw down some caltrops near the objective you are trying to protect, spot enemies so they have a red outline that teammates can see through walls, incapacitate an enemy then "Coms Hack" him so his entire team shows up on your team's radar then, since Coms Hack kills him, hack his corpse to disguise yourself as the enemy. I consistently get the highest XP on a map with this build, though it's more for gauging effectiveness since he's already max level.

The Soldier is my second favorite, I tend to laugh maniacally as my burly dude mows down the entire enemy team with his minigun. Other than that he is only good for blowing up objectives so he is sort of a 2-trick pony.

Though I've maxed the Medic, it's probably my least favorite class due to the fact that it is designed for a support role (reviving teammates) instead of combat. I just use it if Throbble and I are in a map and we don't have enough (or any) medics. The medics can boost teammate's max life but the boost is pretty minor, even if they invest the extra skill point for "double health boost". Meh.

Of the maps provided there seems to only be one that's imbalanced but it's pretty minor and could probably be fixed in a patch. The maps themselves are laid out well, at first I thought some were kind of small until I realize there is a very "vertical" aspect to the game and there are lots of ways to climb around and get the drop on the enemy.

So, those are my impressions for now. I'll post pics of my characters later.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
/facepalm

why a 460? the 560 costs about the same. Believe it also uses less power too (can't be arseed to look at spec sheets). [1]

Also, should take a look at the "Home Build" kits on Newegg; bonuses to using standard form factors should be obvious. [2]

I may have to put Brink on my "To Get" list :D

[1]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GeForce+460+GTX&x=7&y=31
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GeForce+560+GTX&x=0&y=0

[2]
http://www.newegg.com/Store/MasterComboStore.aspx?StoreID=7&name=DIY-PC-Combos&cm_sp=Homepage_Pillar_Rt-_-Pillar/bundled060911-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fhomepage%2fPillar%2f060911%2fbundled.jpg

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
/facepalm

why a 460? the 560 costs about the same. Believe it also uses less power too (can't be arseed to look at spec sheets). [1]

Yeah, I could have saved some money going through New Egg, but I got a local shop here where I get all my hardware. They are a bit more expensive and their newer items like the GeForce 5xx series are always priced at a premium. That's why I always get the slightly older hardware.

I paid $180 for a EVGA GTX 460 SE. A little more expensive but, meh, I smoked $50 worth of pot this morning.

My only concern now is that Brink had problems running on Windows 7 64-bit when it first came out. I think they may have fixed the problem in a patch but I'm checking on the Brink forums to make sure. I will probably just get standard Windows 7 so I'm inquiring about any potential problems that may have with Brink.

Slightly off-topic, a hacker group named [removed name of group out of paranoia] hacked the Bethesda servers last week and apparently got information about Brink account names/passwords. Today the US announced that the same group hacked into Senate computers. Fuck, I can't wait for summer to be over so these little juvenile delinquents can be locked back up in school.

EDIT: Oh and it's the same group that hacked Sony a week or so back.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:22:57 PM by 420 »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
Actually, that group is pure "pro hacker". Sony deserved it...how dare you sue me over modding MY PURCHASED HARDWARE when in no way affects others' gameplay.

Their name says it all...Lawls @ Security.

As for Windows 7, do be mindful that only Professional and Ultimate have the Remote Desktop SERVER; the others just have the client. If you're a student you 'should' be able to get in on the UltimateSteal....Windows 7 Professional (Upgrade*)....$29.99

*will still perform a full install if you do some folder placements on the drive...believe it just needs to see the \WINDOWS folder then it'll do either an upgrade or a FULL INSTALL! Plenty of stuff on the net to walk you through it (I may have missed some stuff :P)

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:06 PM »
With the upgrade, just install 7 fresh. Then reinstall it as an upgrade. :D That's what I did.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
lol 150W power supply???? How can that even be possible?  What kind of computer do you have?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
I think he said Dell.

Man fuck Dell, it blows ass, always has.

I never buy pre-built computers. Custom or otherwise, but if someone needs a recommendation I usually tell them Acer or Asus. As for a laptop, I research heavily first, check specs, and I would never buy a Dell laptop.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
lol 150W power supply???? How can that even be possible?  What kind of computer do you have?
It's a pre-Alienware Dell XPS. Throbble has an Alienware Dell XPS and that came with a 750w. Frankly I'm as surprised as you that my power supply can handle the GeForce 8600 GT and the Sound Blaster X-Fi that I bought for it.

I think he said Dell.

Man fuck Dell, it blows ass, always has.

I never buy pre-built computers. Custom or otherwise, but if someone needs a recommendation I usually tell them Acer or Asus. As for a laptop, I research heavily first, check specs, and I would never buy a Dell laptop.
Yeah, I thought I was saving a few bucks by buying the computer from Dell then upgrading the video card and sound card from a local store. Oh well, I got a few good years out of it. Time to start building from scratch again. I've learned my lesson.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
Time to start building from scratch again. I've learned my lesson.

Definitely the only way to go.  My current build is from 2008.  I've upgraded the CPU twice and the video card once.  Still going strong.  I plan to build a new one for Windows 8 and Intel Ivy Bridge, or their next depending on release schedule.

Currently I'm running a Yorkfield Core 2 Extreme Quad  that I got second hand off eBay for around $250.  Overclocked to 3.6Ghz, fastest CPU my board can take.

Video card is a Radeon 3870X2, can't do DX11 but still good performance on DX9/10 since it's a dual GPU card they last quite a bit longer.  I only have 1 PCI-e 16x on my board so I can't add a second.

My next computer will have multiple full speed PCI-e slots so I'll initially buy a high-end video card and upgrade by adding a second in SLI or Crossfire.  Best bang for buck as by the time I'll want to upgrade the old models should be relatively cheap.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »

My next computer will have multiple full speed PCI-e slots so I'll initially buy a high-end video card and upgrade by adding a second in SLI or Crossfire.  Best bang for buck as by the time I'll want to upgrade the old models should be relatively cheap.
I was wondering about this. The nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ on Throbble's computer takes up a single PCI-e slot but it requires two spaces on the back (one where you plug the monitor in and one that's just an extra vent.) My new card is like that too. Do new motherboards with multiple PCI-e slots take this extra needed space into consideration for SLI? (That's when you link two cards together right? I haven't done that since the 3DFX Mega Monster.)

Ugh, this is what I get for not building my own computer in the last 6 years.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:25:13 PM by 420 »