Author Topic: What is everyone playing  (Read 190104 times)

Offline Kid in Helmet

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is everyone playing
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
Lately Third Age: Total War, a total conversion mod of Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms into the LOTR world, and Uncharted 2.

Also going to pick up Dragon Age in a bit which I hope will keep me occupied for a while.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 03:40:38 PM »
Is anyone playing Borderlands? Its a rpg shooter, kinda like a simplified fallout 3 but with classes and skills, pretty fun.
And you can play coop mode online.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
Borderlands on ps3?  Looks pretty sweet

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
Borderlands on ps3?  Looks pretty sweet
Pfft, obviously a lame attempt to sell a game by trying to release an inferior version of a similar genre before the actual game comes out: Rage

No thanks.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »
hhmm clicked on that link and had to enter my birthdate and I clicked submit by mistake with out entering anything.  Won't let me in now haha

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 01:46:46 AM »
I have to say, 420, I am totally getting it. Fucking awesome.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »
Playing Borderlands on PC, that Rage game looks good but its just an action game with cars, Borderlands is more like a post apocaliptic parody and its RPG, you lvl up, you have skill points and classes and the maps and weapons are ramdom generated with stats and such, with rares and all, pretty much like diablo 2 loot.

The only thing in common is that theyre FPS and have cars kinda.
Though ill be getting Rage too looks good.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »
I'm playing Mass Effect 2 (on PC).  Fucking sweet.  Bioware can do no wrong!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »
Good to hear. Anyone get Bioshock 2 yet?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
Good to hear. Anyone get Bioshock 2 yet?

My step brother did.  I saw it for a bit today...seems just like the first one and I got bored of that due to what I found was level repetitiveness.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »
Haha, told you so. I haven't bought it yet; told myself no due to having other perfectly good games to finish. lol.

Also, "Bioware can do no wrong!" except for this:
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-103/1389206

After seeing that, I might as well hold off till' I got the bucks for my new tv.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Haha, told you so. I haven't bought it yet; told myself no due to having other perfectly good games to finish. lol.

Also, "Bioware can do no wrong!" except for this:
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-103/1389206

After seeing that, I might as well hold off till' I got the bucks for my new tv.

lol funny.  Anyway I'd rather play checkers than game on an SDTV.  It's amazing how much you lose on those resolutions.  PCs still in my mind offer the best gaming experience, and so far Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are both superior on PCs (not to mention $20 cheaper).  Also, I saw Bioshock 2 on PS3 and even at 1080p I was unimpressed with the graphics.  On PC, Bioshock 1 was much nicer looking.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 01:25:41 AM »
To be honest, I'm unimpressed by the graphics of a lot of games on PS3 in comparison to PC as well as Xbox 360.

I'll most likely get Mass Effect 2 for the 360. Partially because I have the first one for it, and it would therefore be fitting. Not for certain yet though as the hacking and modding opportunities on PC are downright tempting no matter what game it is.

And quite frankly, nothing beats a good old fashioned game like checkers, Mo.
I recently bought Super Scrabble; like Scrabble except nearly twice the board size, twice the pieces, and a grid that holds the pieces in place. Slick eh?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 09:32:06 AM »
And quite frankly, nothing beats a good old fashioned game like checkers, Mo.
I recently bought Super Scrabble; like Scrabble except nearly twice the board size, twice the pieces, and a grid that holds the pieces in place. Slick eh?

I HATE Scrabble.  Ever since I was playing with friends and they got something like 90 points for spelling the word 'box'.  Give me a freaking break. Laaame.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
I love Scrabble. I've always loved Scrabble. All of my rl friends love Scrabble.

EVERYBODY LOVES SCRABBLE.

You're just a hater!

Nah, I almost never play by points. If points make a game unfun; remove them, or find a different way to score. ;)

I haven't really been playing any video games much. Some N64 games on emulator on and off; currently Super Mario 64. Mainly been doing random stuff, apart from reading and making random images the past few days.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »
Im playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and when i finish that ill start with Mass Effect 2, though i rarely finish games lol :o, Bioshock, Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age... and a few others i stopped playing around mid-end and never got in the mood of finishing them :o

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »
Same here on Dragon Age. I finished Mass Effect without much problem though. Saints Row 2 I beat the piss out of it... did everything and got 100% as well. lol.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »
Im playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and when i finish that ill start with Mass Effect 2, though i rarely finish games lol :o, Bioshock, Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age... and a few others i stopped playing around mid-end and never got in the mood of finishing them :o

You sir have commitments issues.  Bioshock and Oblivion I put away after short amounts of playing time.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »
I love Scrabble. I've always loved Scrabble. All of my rl friends love Scrabble.

EVERYBODY LOVES SCRABBLE.
I spent a weekend at a cabin where there was this guy who spent a large amount of his childhood in a hospital playing Scrabble. He schooled me about what constitutes a "word" in the Scrabble dictionary. I never played again after that.

However, I just found out that a second S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sequel was released, it's an actual sequel to the original game story instead of being a prequel like the first... uh... sequel.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 02:28:33 AM »
Well some games just dont keep my interest up for long and i end playing something else but i've also finished some other games, DMC 4, Fallout 3, Assassins Creed, RE 5, I beat Tales of the Abyss twice and haver over 200 played hours on that game :o, heck i even finished Mini Ninjas... it was so fun despite the childish look, and i think those are all the games i finished last year lol

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
Final Fantasy XIII on PS3.

I've got to say that although the production value is top notch which as the norm for FF this "game" plays more like an interactive movie.  After watching cut scene after cut scene then there are instances where I'm forced to take control and walk my way through the uber-linear levels, I almost wish the game would just have an auto-pilot button. .  There's never been a larger difference between console RPGs and computer RPGs

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
And you know, linear can be some pretty bad-ass play, but it's gotta have some moderation. Really, I love linear and non-linear RPG's alike, but you can only get so non-linear and so linear before you ruin the game by taking it too far to one extreme.

I've heard others say the same about this game; I think Final Fantasy should have it's final fantasy and move on. Of course, they're still going to milk it for all it's worth.

Admittedly, I do wish to try the supposedly "movie-like" Heavy Rain, it's PS3 only.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 07:22:34 PM »
Final Fantasy XIII on PS3.

I've got to say that although the production value is top notch which as the norm for FF this "game" plays more like an interactive movie.  After watching cut scene after cut scene then there are instances where I'm forced to take control and walk my way through the uber-linear levels, I almost wish the game would just have an auto-pilot button. .  There's never been a larger difference between console RPGs and computer RPGs
Funny, I felt the exact same way about FF 7.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »
Medieval: Total War
Got this for a Christmas gift one year and hadn't really played it until this last year which I beat but now I'm into it again.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
Really, I love linear and non-linear RPG's alike, but you can only get so non-linear and so linear before you ruin the game by taking it too far to one extreme.

Yes I agree.  For example Oblivion was on the non-linear extreme and I've got to tell you I got a little fed up with it about 2 hours in.  I wanted to complete a certain quest but it appeared that only a rogue would be able to properly do it and I was a warrior, however there was no indication either way and I was a little at a loss.  FFXIII is the other extreme.

IMO Bioware gets it just right.  Dragon Age is exactly where I want to see games.  The only problem I have with Dragon Age is that it should be twice as long.  Baldur's Gate 2 hit it on all cylinders of course.  I played BG2 for about 200 hours, including Throne of Bhaal.  Watcher's Keep is still my favorite side quest ever, man that was awesome.  Speaking of BG, it's funny to play Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 and notice all the nods to BG.  An optional boss in DA has the same name as one in BG only spelled backwards.  In Mass Effect 2 you can buy a pet space hamster for your quarters hehe.  There are a few others too.

@420, FFVII is not nearly as linear as XIII because there are a lot of side quests.  but I understand your point.  Just about all FF games are linear.  VIIs saving grace when it comes to game play (story and characters are obviously top notch) is that there's like 70-80 hours of fun game play and character building in that game and some really cool super-boss fights.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:22:18 AM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
I personally like Oblivion but I definitely agree with you that it is in the non-linear extreme. I think there has to be a few linear and non-linear extremes to satisfy certain players, but for most players a good moderation between the two is required. I agree with you that Dragon Age hit the nail on the head, my problems with the game were unrelated to this issue. It was simply holding my interest that was the problem, nothing more.

----Oblivion Rant----
However, I don't understand your quest issue with Oblivion. In most Elder Scrolls games, quests can be put off and in many cases have to be until you are more suited to accomplish them. However, being more combat oriented over stealth is even more trivial in Oblivion than all of it's predecessors, as picking locks and sneaking isn't quite as limited as it was in previous games. You can pick any lock at any time no matter your security skill, whereas in Morrowind, many locks had to wait until you had the proper pick, the proper skill level, or the proper spell and the ability in which to cast it.

There is a quest most people find early on, which is finding out where a suspicious shopkeeper is getting his merchandise and how he is selling it for so cheap. You're supposed to follow him and find out where he goes and then witness a meeting between him and another individual. If this is the quest you're referring to, it doesn't require stealth whatsoever. You don't even have to sneak to follow him, just keep your distance. When the meeting take place, you actually have to run up to them where you're in plain sight for them to commence, and they act like you're not even there. lol.

Regardless, I understand what you mean about it's non-linearity, but in regards to class limitations, it is just as non-linear. All major skills do is level you up and increase a little faster than the rest. I usually make a custom class, I always favor luck, because it's the hardest to increase. As a second choice, endurance is good because it determines health gained when leveling, so higher earlier is better, but strength means more loot to carry, etc. I also ignore my favorite skills and pick the hardest ones to level. That allows me to build up higher multipliers before leveling, as I favor non-major skills and the major skills increase slower due to being naturally harder to increase, and less used by me. For instance, although I use armorer frequently, it is harder to increase because you need damaged equipment in order to do so. Because of that, I almost always have armorer as a major skill.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
Elder Scrolls games, quests can be put off and in many cases have to be until you are more suited to accomplish them.

Hmm I don't really like that idea because I do quests as soon as I get them.  Unless the game makes it pretty obvious that I need to wait to do the quest, I'll tend to waste a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I finished Mass effect 2 a bit more than a week ago with an infiltrator>Assassin being nice (Paragon route), now i started again with a renegade vanguard, Shepards face got full of scars and his eyes turned bright red lol, btw the new charge skill is just great fun :o

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
Hmm I don't really like that idea because I do quests as soon as I get them.  Unless the game makes it pretty obvious that I need to wait to do the quest, I'll tend to waste a lot of time trying to figure it out.
I like to do that as well, although, if you can't you can't. A quest I did in Oblivion took me days because I'd go so far in, get close to leveling or have too much loot, leave, sell it, build multipliers, level, go back, repeat. Finally I beat the quest after having to leave the dungeon over and over to go level or sell loot. The final time, monsters had re-spawned and some chests were restocked. Making it more difficult, but I finally got it. Quite a pain in the ass, that leveling. I could only wish for an easy mode that automatically awards you a +5 multiplier in all abilities except luck every time you level, so I could enjoy the game more and nitpick about leveling less. lol

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
Dragon Age Origins - Awakening comes out tomorrow!