Author Topic: What is everyone playing  (Read 190482 times)

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is everyone playing
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
The description of the toolset hints at real multiplayer. I'm curious about this now.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
Just started playing around with the toolset in Shadow run. Pretty simple to use so far as building areas is concerned. Everything is just a big bucket of digital leggos. Here is a quick bit I tossed together in about a hour.

... an empty bottle of something lay on the floor, remnants of the "business arrangement" the night before. Another bottle of something else poised itself at the edge of the desk like a burned out junkie ready to end it all and join its compatriot. Five bullet holes in the wall beside the unmarked dartboard told the story of my career. Business was as good as my aim. Dammit!
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2014, 12:09:51 AM »
Path of Exile is all at the moment

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15:49 PM »
Playing Wolfenstein: The New Order and having a lot of fun.

Pretty sure it's the only game where you can kill a Nazi with a swirly:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
lol.  I'll probably pick it up when it goes down to <$20.  Gonna start Divinity soon. 

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
Eve and WoW only for me. Bought the D3 expac, but it was boring.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:33 PM »
Borderlands 2 game of the year edition is now $10 on steam for a few more hours. I am downloading it now.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
Borderlands 2 game of the year edition is now $10 on steam for a few more hours. I am downloading it now.
Let me know what you think and also you me and Throbble should get some multplayer going.

Goat Simulator was for sale on Steam for $5 last weekend. I read it could be played multiplayer so I bought a copy for Throbble and me but I can't find the multiplayer option.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

How is that?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: October 03, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
How is that?
Pretty good so far, story is rather bland so far. As is already known, actual movement and many ways the game plays is Assassin's Creed-like. Wraith mode is comparable to eagle vision. Mostly hack and slash, stealth, shooting enemies, and infiltration-style/assassination-style missions. Not a whole lot of depth with customization or anything, as there isn't gear or crafting or anything. Mostly just skills and ability upgrades so far. But it's been fun anyway. Not too far into story mode yet.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »
Pretty good so far, story is rather bland so far. As is already known, actual movement and many ways the game plays is Assassin's Creed-like. Wraith mode is comparable to eagle vision. Mostly hack and slash, stealth, shooting enemies, and infiltration-style/assassination-style missions. Not a whole lot of depth with customization or anything, as there isn't gear or crafting or anything. Mostly just skills and ability upgrades so far. But it's been fun anyway. Not too far into story mode yet.

Sounds like a pass to me...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Sounds like a pass to me...
Well, I got a little farther and things got a little more interesting, including the gameplay and fighting. However, the story is still pretty bland. At least you get some cool insight into Middle Earth.

The most you have for gear customization is 5 rune slots in your 3 weapons. You unlock runeslots over time with attribute points and then socket it runes you obtain mostly through killing captains and warchiefs.

It's fun shit, but I think the majority of the game price is for graphics. It definitely has dlc potential though.

ULTRA mode on the graphics settings asks for 6GB VRAM (most people report it working with 3 or 4 though) and it requires you download an additional 40GB texture pack to an already 34GB sized game.
Ironically, I know someone who plays Xbox One who thinks it's funny that I had to lower the graphics settings to run the game smoothly. This is funny because the game is 34GB on PC and to play ULTRA requires an additional 40GB, but the game only needs 28GB on the Xbox. Which tells me it likely only plays at medium. Ha, I'll be laughing even harder later today when I get my new card! :D

What console gamers don't understand is that there is NO benefit to owning a console over using a PC except to play console exclusives. If there were no exclusives, there would be no benefit. If you disregard exclusives, then the only thing consoles have going for them, is the amount of bang you get for your buck. To actually purchase a fully loaded pc gaming rig, costs far more than a console, even with equivalent power. But hey, they don't get unlimited backwards compatibility, and the freedom to hack, mod, fix, or anything else whatever you're playing. This same guy actually asked me what benefit there is to playing on PC.. like really? I can hack any game I want to either to cheat or to fix a problem, mod anything, download mods of others that make the game more fun, extend the games fun, improve graphics, or fix issues. I can play and listen to any music while checking e-mail and chatting with somebody, and I don't have to buy a special little keyboard because it's a computer... it's got a fucking keyboard. I can make any hotkeys and set all of my settings manually how I want them, graphically, or otherwise.

On a completely unrelated note: How the fuck, out of an entire living room, does my daughter manage to find a metal pin on the floor? (came out of my couch) ...and then she tries to eat it. &lt;_&lt;
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:07:23 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »

What console gamers don't understand is that there is NO benefit to owning a console over using a PC except to play console exclusives. If there were no exclusives, there would be no benefit. If you disregard exclusives, then the only thing consoles have going for them, is the amount of bang you get for your buck. To actually purchase a fully loaded pc gaming rig, costs far more than a console, even with equivalent power. But hey, they don't get unlimited backwards compatibility, and the freedom to hack, mod, fix, or anything else whatever you're playing. This same guy actually asked me what benefit there is to playing on PC.. like really? I can hack any game I want to either to cheat or to fix a problem, mod anything, download mods of others that make the game more fun, extend the games fun, improve graphics, or fix issues. I can play and listen to any music while checking e-mail and chatting with somebody, and I don't have to buy a special little keyboard because it's a computer... it's got a fucking keyboard. I can make any hotkeys and set all of my settings manually how I want them, graphically, or otherwise.

I think this is the last run for consoles. When I heard about what the Xbox 1 was supposed to do I thought, "You all kinda dropped the ball there didn't ya?" Why just have a fully integrated home entertainment system? Why not the the entire house on one personal server? Most homes are already rigged up with coaxial and wifi so just make one big box to run them all, one big box to find them, one big box to bring them all... Sorry got my scripts mixed up there. But yeah one home server and you access it off satellite tablets and screens wherever you are, in the world. Really the tech to do this already exists on the public market, it just needs the supporting companies to sign contracts promising to play nice with each other.

On a completely unrelated note: How the fuck, out of an entire living room, does my daughter manage to find a metal pin on the floor? (came out of my couch) ...and then she tries to eat it. &lt;_&lt;

Didn't you learn anything from gaming about the magic powers of little girls? You're letting us down man.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
At least you get some cool insight into Middle Earth.
Never read The Silmarillion? That's about all the insight I could handle.

She knew what she was doing, testing dad. Smart girl.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Yeah she didn't like me holding her mouth open and digging it out though. Hahaha!

You know, I could live with a console-free world. But actually, I don't care that they exist, I just hate exclusives and shitty ports.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »
I just got invited to Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm Alpha. Downloading it now to try it out.

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/game/

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
I'm "Crafting The World" again.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2014, 05:05:12 AM »
Civilization: Beyond Earth

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2014, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
Civilization: Beyond Earth
It looks like an updated version of Alpha Centauri. If so, I will definitely get this game.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
So far it's pretty damn cool. I wouldn't say it's better than Civ: V. But it's different, and I like that. Miasma is a cool concept, and the affinity's are definitely a change-up. Victory types are a lot different than the old standard, and the tech tree is more like a non-linear web now. It actually pays to use covert ops, and operations are not only plausible but recommended. Units don't simply unlock with tech like they used to, although there are some that do, based on affinity level and tech, the standard set are leveled through affinity level.

The diplomacy AI is as stupid and nonsensical as ever though. Not much has changed on that front.

For example, two civs declare war on you and then refuse to sign a peace treaty, so everyone else hates you and calls you a warmonger even though you're only defending yourself. Yup... that backwards shit is still in the game.

I never played Alpha Centauri.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
I never played Alpha Centauri.
It's on Good Old Games. It's the best incarnation of the Civilization game after Civ III in my opinion. If you get it make sure you get the Alien Crossfire expansion with it. (I think it comes bundled with the base game.) It's the title that Sid Meier did after Civ III when he left MicroProse to found FIRAXIS (or something like that).

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
Well, I had and played Civ III. I liked it quite a bit, but I always got bored and could never finish a game. Civ IV sucked ass. Civ V is amazing as fuck. Every other civ game usually makes me bored, but I've played and finished tons of games in Civ V with 0 boredom. Many even, with the only way to win through domination.

I may have to put it on my list, but I'm still waiting for the game that Spore was supposed to be. ;)

Also the perfect pirate game? Where are you!? Assassin's Creed is as close as it gets, which is surprising, for not inherently being a game about pirates. :)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: November 07, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »
Well, I had and played Civ III. I liked it quite a bit, but I always got bored and could never finish a game. Civ IV sucked ass. Civ V is amazing as fuck. Every other civ game usually makes me bored, but I've played and finished tons of games in Civ V with 0 boredom. Many even, with the only way to win through domination.

I may have to put it on my list, but I'm still waiting for the game that Spore was supposed to be. ;)

Also the perfect pirate game? Where are you!? Assassin's Creed is as close as it gets, which is surprising, for not inherently being a game about pirates. :)

Completely agree.  I've played over 600 hours of Civ V.  Finished 98% of the games I've started. So much fun.  Have you beat the AI on Deity mode? :)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: November 07, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
I've beat Civ V on all difficulties, I think. The hardest ones, for sure. I've also done some of the scenario's, but I haven't beat those on every difficulty nor with every character.

Uh, Civ: Beyond Earth got boring. I couldn't keep playing. My understanding is that it is very different from Alpha. One of the lead devs says it's a "spiritual successor" to Alpha, but that's about the extent of it.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/20/civilization-beyond-earth-impressions-interview/

420- Have you ever heard of Pandora: First Contact? Seems to have a similar theme. It's on Steam.

I am waiting for Endless Space, and Galactic Civilizations 3 to come on sale, to try out.

Mo, why do I not have you on Steam? lol

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
Uh, Civ: Beyond Earth got boring. I couldn't keep playing. My understanding is that it is very different from Alpha. One of the lead devs says it's a "spiritual successor" to Alpha, but that's about the extent of it.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/20/civilization-beyond-earth-impressions-interview/

420- Have you ever heard of Pandora: First Contact? Seems to have a similar theme. It's on Steam.

Too bad. I love Alpha Centauri but the graphics really show its age. I will probably still get Beyond Earth once I finish a few of the games I'm currently playing.

I'll take a look at Pandora.