Author Topic: Darkness over Daggerford  (Read 36778 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
The short sword with fire damage comes from the Bandit Leader. I always figure, when you find a fire or acid damage weapon at the beginning of a mod, there are going to be trolls.

I went with a tank, a battle axe weapon master, which was a big mistake because the battle axe is the only weapon that the first store doesn't have a magical version of. Every other weapon has a +1 - +3 version in the store except the battle axe!!! DOH!

Don't know why you'd play a rogue since you get that fat gnome rogue henchman at the very beginning of the mod.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 12:08:44 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 12:26:28 PM »
I solo. I hate henchman. - That's why. Plus there are other benefits you get as a rogue, that even with a henchman you don't get. Sort of like a 6th sense of what's going on. It's pretty sweet shit. And I didn't know about any of the henchmen or that there even were any, before I began playing... but that may have something to do with me preferring solo. Though I would've thought that obvious.

Just do what I do, if I fuck up in feats and so forth, I just delevel and relevel. You could consider it cheating, but I consider it changing my mind. Which I think is perfectly reasonable when you waltz into a mod, that very likely does not have an equal amount of powerful weapons per weapon type. So the main thing I ever relevel to change, is normally always weapon feat specific. I've played mods where you get a kickass longsword, and there's no other weapons you can get as good, and I have feats in some other weapon, and it blows ass that way. So relevel. =P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »
Something interesting from NWVault:

Thanks to Steve Savicki for pointing out that the recently released Darkness over Daggerford module by Ossian Studios has met all Hall of Fame requirements in less than 3 days, with a perfect score of 10, nearly 5000 downloads when only 2500 are needed, as well as 36 votes when only 25 are needed. Even at the peak of the NWN I don't think we've had a module get this much of a response. Congrats to Ossian, all the Hall of Fame authors who worked on it, as well as DLA for their very cool TNO tileset that is featured in the module.

-- Maximus @ 9:21AM Fri 18 Aug 2006

EDIT: Instead of double posting I'm just going to add screenshots to this one.

Custom Tileset Mill
[attachmentid=899]

A reference to the Baldur's Gate series
[attachmentid=900]
(The founder of Ossian Studios worked on Baldur's Gate II. Also, notice the third response.)

Laughed my ass off!
[attachmentid=901]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 01:31:36 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 04:09:34 AM »
Two henchman with you!? God. lol I would slaughter them both for getting in my fucking way. Anyway, I seen the loading screen, it officially says fire OR acid. And so far 5 quests of mine have broke. Lovely.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 01:30:07 PM »
Two henchman with you!? God. lol I would slaughter them both for getting in my fucking way. Anyway, I seen the loading screen, it officially says fire OR acid. And so far 5 quests of mine have broke. Lovely.
[snapback]30859[/snapback]

Yeah, I saw the loading screen too. I suspect the reason the trolls don't always die is the same old problem with them getting back up right as you do the fire or acid damage so it doesn't count as finishing them off.

I haven't had any broken quests yet, mostly just some odd NPC dialogue where I did things in the "wrong" order and it skipped ahead in the storyline a bunch.

The henchmen are actually very useful, they have evolving backgrounds that they add to whenever they level up. They also point out things of interest that the PC wouldn't notice, like the fat gnome thief noticed that one of the houses in Daggerford was boarded up but the lock on the front door had been forced open.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:07:17 PM by Throbblefoot »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
I did as much B&E as possible already. I cleaned all the houses in Daggerford that could be opened out already. Killed some thieves in one, took the loot for myself, some wizard in another, and a gang. None of them seem to be for a plot or quest, but it's possible I just haven't found it yet.

Well, 1 quest I could not finish, because the npc I got it from didn't have the option for me to say I was done. And one of the npc's became immobile and would not speak or anything when he was supposed to, even though he was no longer needed for the quest.

Another one I cleared out some bandits in their den, and then went back to the guy I had to talk to and the option wasn't there to tell him I did it, and that was the same guy who gave me something to give to someone I had taken a quest from earlier, that I couldnt give the items to because they wouldnt talk...

I also had a problem with a quest I got from one guy, where I had to go to another and I chose to do a quest for him, to complete the quest for the other, and now that I have the item I need, there's no option to give it to him, and therefore I cannot end either quest.

I've had other fudged quests as well, and the skipping stuff in dialogue, had plenty of that happen too. I am thinking of starting again... *sigh*

I am a rogue, so the rogue henchman would be useless to me.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 01:19:14 PM »
Here are some more screenshots:

[attachmentid=902]
I love these guys, may they both rest in pieces.

[attachmentid=903][attachmentid=904]
The only thing stranger than this sign is its description.

[attachmentid=905]
Mmm, food.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
I started a new game. lol. I save like every minute. =P

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
I haven't gotten too far in this yet, but I did run into a familiar face:
[attachmentid=906]
I had no idea "Taffy" was so popular with the Bioware crowd there.

-Throbblefoot

"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 03:08:56 PM »
hehe ya, i laughed at that, unfortuneatly i didn't get to finish all my quests before I got past a certain part so I couldn't go back to finish them...I think i might try it next as a mage....

-Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 04:10:35 PM »
hehe ya, i laughed at that, unfortuneatly i didn't get to finish all my quests before I got past a certain part so I couldn't go back to finish them...I think i might try it next as a mage....
-Elessar
[snapback]30869[/snapback]

I'm stuck in a broken cut scene right now but I think I can take an alternative route to finish the quest I'm on.

NOTE: It seems that many quests are broken if you make a successful intimidate attempt and follow that path to complete the quest. I've only had one problem where I can't continue a quest, the one for the Lathander priest. I won't give any details because Throbble hasn't delt with that one yet.

I think I'm gonna take a ranger through next time, maybe with a few levels of Shadowdancer, pump up my Animal Empathy and Bluff.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »
I don't think I will be completing this mod after all. Like a million other mods I've played, too much shit fucks me up. Bugs and shit like that, but then I sometimes get this other lovely little problem which I just got now on my new game, meaning I am probably going to just give up. The all too familiar Save Game Corrupted because the game crashed when you went to save. I went to save, it crashed, I haven't even bothered to look to see if it's corrupted yet, there's a chance it may have crashed before the actual save overwrite began... though I doubt it. This is why I normally have two saves, one is a backup, the other is the main save, and I save one at one point, and the other later, then back to the one again, this way if it crashes, I don't have to start all over. Unfortunately I was just about to make my backup after saving over my old save. This is typical though, if it is corrupted, that's another mod ruined for me because of this type of shit.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2006, 05:13:31 PM »
Unfortunately I was just about to make my backup after saving over my old save. This is typical though, if it is corrupted, that's another mod ruined for me because of this type of shit.
[snapback]30871[/snapback]

I always have 3 save games: Main Save 1, Main Save 2, Quicksave (and don't forget the autosave). I usually quicksave before conversations or before making some kind of quest-related decision. Then I alternate between my two main saves whenever I complete a significant plot point.

Any mod that uses Hak packs (especially as large and numerous as the ones DOD uses) always create problems for me. Often the custom content will glitch and placeables or creatures will have NULL models which is a pain in the ass in when you walk into an encounter and can't see what's killing your party.

Also, it seems that with mods using Hak packs I must restart NWN every 2-3 hours or risk a crash. Makes me think the Hak pack system has some kind of memory leak because the game starts to get really choppy after I've played a mod using a Hak pack too long.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2006, 07:59:31 PM »
When I play with a hak pack, it starts out worse and then gets better. Kinda weird. Well, technically I always do have 3 saves including autosave, but I normally don't use that unless I know I had one not too long before a fuckup. Comes in handy sometimes. I still don't know if it's corrupted or not, haven't bothered to check it yet. Not really in the mood to find out. lol.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »
The all too familiar Save Game Corrupted because the game crashed when you went to save.
[snapback]30871[/snapback]

Maybe you should get another computer, or use NTFS...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 08:37:27 PM »
My computer is fine, and I am using NTFS. My video card is the only thing fucked up... but I've said that a million times already.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2006, 01:04:09 PM »
Spoiler Warning![/color]

Finished DOD last night, sent in a bug report with 20 total bugs. They were already aware and working on a good number of them. Really fun mod, can't wait to go through with a wizard. Then a ranger!
[attachmentid=907]

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »
I am so going to wait until a version or 3 passes. Wait for some bugfixes. I can't even get through a game of it. I normally would make a bug report myself, sept I can't fricken beat it without something going wrong. lol.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2006, 02:03:32 PM »
Ossian Studios has responded to my list of 22 bugs and has either fixed them or is currently fixing them right now! They thanked me very much for my bug reports and asked that I keep them coming (if I find any new ones when I play through again).

I'll post my bug list so people can send in any that they found that aren't on my list.

Send bug reports here: info@ossianstudios.com

SPOILER WARNING! BUG LIST![/color]
1. "There be Trouble Down ot the Farm" journal entry never goes away.

2. Fernigold the Younger quest says that I found a map to King Telarthir's forgotten tomb but the map item says it's in a wilderness area near a waterfall to the west of Liam's Hold, should say to the "east".

3. Millie Churlgo doesn't take her bag of gold or reciept when I return after delivering the cheese.

4. Farmer Callaway in Gillian's Hill gets stuck when you ask him to return from Mabda.

5. Daxion, in the crypt under Gillian's Hill cemetary said he gave me a lens that could identify objects but there was no item created in my inventory.

6. Daxion says he will leave (after I intimidated him) but he just stays there and acts like I haven't spoken to him before, though I do get the correct journal update that says I convinced him to leave.

7. "The Truth About Vampires" quest is broken, I intimidated Daxion into leaving and my journal entry says I should talke to Liam Sunmist but I can't tell him anything new. My wife chose to kill Daxion and is having the same problem (journal says to talk to Liam but he has no new conversation options).

8. The Gillian's Hill Gang journal entry says the tower is north of Sejello's house but it is actually south west of it.

9. Found a "Slimy Crevice in a Cliff" when I first entered Liam's Hold that says I was told about it be Hegrad the night watchman, but I can't find a "Hegrad" and the night watchmen walking around just tell me not to hang out in the street.

10. When I level I get a new conversation option for Raegan but I get the same conversation option for Purfbin that I got last level.

11. In the "Blade Cliffs" area, after intimidating the gate guard into setting up a midnight meeting with Feldran, Soliana and Griswald. When I return to Griswald and choose the "[Go with Griswald at midnight]" option, I enter cutscene mode, my PC approaches Griswald at the castle and the drawbridge appears then nothing happens until I hit esc to get out of the cutscene.

12. I had a successful Intimidate check on Nagnorm Stuffler but his dialogue indicated that it failed.

13. I failed to persuade the Wild Elves in the Lonely Barrens and had to kill them all. After which Raegan said, "Now I can unblock those streams". Then it faded to black and stayed black.

14. In Edalseye Tower, the 3rd floor (Chamber of Delights) Minedi refers to Bappi (a male gnome) as both "she" and "her" during the lolipop riddle.

15. Skully has two "I have no more questions." options when you ask him about Edalseye.

16. As a Paladin or Fighter I have the option to tell Squire Blancheflor to pull herself together at the beginning of her conversation. However, when I choose that option I can ask her about specifics that I shouldn't know anything about yet.

17. When I talk to Astiel about Fzoul's Note one of my conversation options is that the note says there is an alliance between the Zhents and Dragonspear Castle but the note doesn't say anything about Dragonspear Castle.

18. After learning the location of the Zhent caravan from the Harpers in the Brush of Barbs cave, when I click on the area transition it gives me the option to travel to the caravan or to the world map. I chose the world map and went to my stronghold to rest, but I don't get the option to travel to the caravan if I go to the Liam's Hold's area transition, I must return to the Brush of Barbs and then click on the area transition there to get the option to travel to the Zhent caravan location.

19. When talking to Talarenne the Globe she refers to "the Harper agent Astriel", but Astriel is a Waterdavian agent not a Harper, that would conflict with the quest involving the Harpers where Astriel meets Semmemon in disguise who claims to be a Harper.

20. After returning from Illefarn, while searching for the "elite orcs" in Daggerford I found an Off Duty Griffon Mercenary in the guard barracks even though they were all supposed to be chased out of town.

21. In the description of "The Army Banner of Daggerford" in Torleth's Treasures (in Gillian's Hill) in one sentence "Dragonspear Castle" is refered to as "Daggerford Castle".

22. In "The Phantom of Liam's Hold" quest, I read Xandra's diary then entered the "Slimy Crevice in the Cliff" where I found a small tomb with a door that is locked and plot. If there is a key, I finished the game without finding it. I can't tell the mayor I found anything out about Xandra and I can't get into the upper floor of Michael and Xandra's Home to investigate further.

NOTE: #18 is not a bug, that is how it is suppose to work.

Offline Hubba

• MSN Messenger - roy_paprika@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »
Bugs? God, i can't even get the module started. NWN crashes when the module is loaded up to about 10%. Bummer.
[snapback]30838[/snapback]

I would love some help with this one? Any common solutions besides re-installing?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2006, 02:14:45 PM »
Version 1.1 of Darkness Over Daggerford is out. Unfortunately is was released the day before the 1.68 patch so I doubt the new cloak models will work correctly.

I haven't looked at the patch notes yet but if the 20 bugs I reported were fixed (as I was told by email) then I suspect they fixed a BUNCH of other problems.

Anyone who was having problems loading the game (or had other problems) should try the new version here.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:16:03 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2006, 02:46:45 PM »
I'm planning on waiting till' the next version after this one, so hopefully it will work well with the new cloak dealies and have even more problems fixed before I try again.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
So far i havent had any problems with the cloaks in my current game other than they are the Boring Beige color. I thought of going through and updateing the cloak instances by their blueprints but just one took about 15 minutes, so I dont yet have the patience to finish that nonsense.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »
WARNING SPOILER ALERT![/color]

Anyone who played Planescapr: Torment may recognize this little guy:
[attachmentid=914]

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 01:48:05 AM »
I'm not sure how long the 1.2 version has been out, but I suspect awhile. I ran the updater to update to it. However to get the cloaks this is what the installation instructions tell me:

"Wearable PC cloaks have been added to the game. To enable the cloaks, you need to update to 1.68 and copy the "baseitems.2da" (included in the update file) into the "dag_development.hak." To do this, simply go to your hak directory, double-click on "dag_development.hak," drag the new version of "baseitems.2da" into the hak window to replace the old one, and save the hak. The PC cloaks that are included in Daggerford will now show up."

My only problem is... what fucking hak window? My system prompts me to open with a program, and I have no idea what program I should be using. I also looked for a sort of hak editor or some shit I might be able to do it with, but I couldn't find anything... and it seems a little fucked up they conveniently forgot to add the little detail of what you should be opening it with.

Anyone know what I'm supposed to do?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 01:52:40 AM »
Anyone know what I'm supposed to do?
[snapback]34570[/snapback]
Try associating the .hak extension with the nwhak.exe file in the utils directory. Just a thought, no idea if it has anything to do with your problem.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Darkness over Daggerford
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2007, 02:00:44 AM »
That's probably it too. *does that*

*drags the file in and replaces*

Looks like that did the trick. Can always rely on good ole' 420 to help, and I had expected only you to answer anyway, lol. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:01:58 AM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »