Author Topic: What's Your Best Final Fantasy Game  (Read 21081 times)

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
What's Your Best Final Fantasy Game
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 08:13:09 PM »
FFVIII is also a PC game.
[snapback]30025[/snapback]

Its also a crap game

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 08:20:17 PM »
Can someone please tell me why you enjoy the FF series of games?
The early versions I can understand - they had an element of gameplay involved.

But FF VIII onwards (maybe before, but i havent played them) seems to consist of:

1) Graphics
2) Soundtrack
3) Story

Where is the gameplay element?
What aspects of the actual gameplay do you enjoy, and why?

I dont mean to be bitchy, and I have actually played these games, and found them very pretty.
But they are just the modern day equivalent of Don Bluths videogames, albeit with a bit more control. You just wander around, usually just to get to your next encounter whereby you listen to some crappy fight music, choose a few attacks at random, then watch a FMV sequence.

Am I wrong? If so, why am I wrong? I really want to know.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2006, 08:26:17 PM »
Dragon Warrior owns!

Okay sorry about that. I'd like to know too actually, I HAVEN'T played them, so it would be interesting to know before I actually do play them, it'd give me some extra things to look out for whilst playing.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 08:30:02 PM »

But FF VIII onwards (maybe before, but i havent played them) seems to consist of:

1) Graphics
2) Soundtrack
3) Story

Where is the gameplay element?
What aspects of the actual gameplay do you enjoy, and why?

I dont mean to be bitchy, and I have actually played these games, and found them very pretty.
But they are just the modern day equivalent of Don Bluths videogames, albeit with a bit more control. You just wander around, usually just to get to your next encounter whereby you listen to some crappy fight music, choose a few attacks at random, then watch a FMV sequence.

Am I wrong? If so, why am I wrong? I really want to know.
[snapback]30027[/snapback]

Interactive movie is how I'd put it.  That's probably overly simplified however.
I have disliked FFX onward.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 08:31:19 PM by Mo »

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2006, 08:34:10 PM »
Interactive movie is how I'd put it.  That's probably overly simplified however.
I have disliked FFX onward.
[snapback]30029[/snapback]

That was my impression too - hence my reference to Don Bluth (Dragons Lair, Space Ace, et al).

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
That was my impression too - hence my reference to Don Bluth (Dragons Lair, Space Ace, et al).
[snapback]30030[/snapback]

Wasn't sure who Don Bluth is.  But i had a feeling that's what you were talking about.  Final Fantasy games are much more opened ended than those games, with a lot more stuff to do and find.  Plus those games didn't have much in the way of a story line and players definitely didn't feel as though they had any influence over what ever story elements those games did have.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 12:08:55 AM »
[snapback]30030[/snapback]

Wasn't there one called Cliff Hanger or something like that too? I seem to remember spending a bunch of quarters on that before I decided it was crap.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 09:17:59 AM »
From psx and back you can play all console games on pc Snes, Genesis (Mega Drive), game boy, game boy advance, Nintendo 64, some of dreamcast but you need a fast pc or dreamcast games run slow, and all psx games ive tried run good.
theres an Ps2 emulator that runs a lot of comercial games but you need a VERY fast pc and a good graphic card and even with that you only get 5-10 fps on most games or even less.

( i have all those emulators if you want one just tell me )
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:20:07 AM by tyrael084 »

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 09:27:37 AM »
Its also a crap game
[snapback]30026[/snapback]

Not true.

1) Graphics
2) Soundtrack
3) Story
[snapback]30027[/snapback]

I don't know what you mean by gameplay element but for me the gameplay element is equivalant to the story element at RPG's .
Face it most of the RPG games aren't about graphics, but about soundtracks and storylines.
FF VIII for me at least has one of the BEST storylines ever (haven't played FF VII or later then FF VIII.)
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 09:36:31 AM »
Not true.
I don't know what you mean by gameplay element but for me the gameplay element is equivalant to the story element at RPG's .
Face it most of the RPG games aren't about graphics, but about soundtracks and storylines.
FF VIII for me at least has one of the BEST storylines ever (haven't played FF VII or later then FF VIII.)
[snapback]30041[/snapback]

Final Fantasy is not an rpg, its an adventure game where the puzzles are replaced by hours and hours of endless battles and even more hours of summoning cinematics.
Its not your fault. Squaresoft would have you believe that it is in fact a roleplaying game, they even advertise it as one, but when you get right down to it you're on the same kind of rigid path you are on in a game like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, or Myst (only without the requirement of your brain). You just have to click things in a slightly different way to unlock the story. So yes, it is widely acceptd that the final fantasy series is somehow a roleplaying institution of some kind, but its mostly a way to give lonely teenagers something to stare at for 50-100 hours.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 12:07:09 PM »
Final Fantasy is not an rpg, its an adventure game where the puzzles are replaced by hours and hours of endless battles and even more hours of summoning cinematics.
Its not your fault. Squaresoft would have you believe that it is in fact a roleplaying game, they even advertise it as one, but when you get right down to it you're on the same kind of rigid path you are on in a game like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, or Myst (only without the requirement of your brain). You just have to click things in a slightly different way to unlock the story. So yes, it is widely acceptd that the final fantasy series is somehow a roleplaying institution of some kind, but its mostly a way to give lonely teenagers something to stare at for 50-100 hours.
[snapback]30042[/snapback]
I was watching my friend EDG (Evil Dr. Giggles) A.K.A. HeLLRaZoR play FFX, and I will note that he was watching ALOT of cinematics. It was his second time playing through he said. I looked over and watched one of the cinematics.. I see how they help to "hook" teenagers, positioning the camera angle so you end up seeing what's going on right next to a female character's cleavage. Tell me I am wrong and I will smack you, I seen it myself! Then again, one must think about how many games now a days use the 'horny teenager' thing to their advantage.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 12:43:28 PM »
[snapback]30042[/snapback]

Sorry but again not true you say FF doesn't have puzzles not true, first example a dungeon..
you are at the city but to enter the mansion of Rinoa's dad you have to find a student's ID number in a dungeon, you get a map of the dungeon and you can get a GF in the dungeon.
The student's ID number is easy to find but to get to the GF you have to use your brain a little to navigate trough the dungeon...
Second example at Ragnarok my first time trough FF VIII i was battling those monsers but they kept spawning the trick was to to beat up the monsters with the same colour....
Third example navigating trough the sewers (same as the dungeon a bit)
There are many things like that...
FF VIII isn't just brainless battles IT is a RPG/adventure game, just as NWN in NWN you go also to other regions and battling monsters....
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »
Sorry but again not true you say FF doesn't have puzzles not true, first example a dungeon..
you are at the city but to enter the mansion of Rinoa's dad you have to find a student's ID number in a dungeon, you get a map of the dungeon and you can get a GF in the dungeon.
The student's ID number is easy to find but to get to the GF you have to use your brain a little to navigate trough the dungeon...
Second example at Ragnarok my first time trough FF VIII i was battling those monsers but they kept spawning the trick was to to beat up the monsters with the same colour....
Third example navigating trough the sewers (same as the dungeon a bit)
There are many things like that...
FF VIII isn't just brainless battles IT is a RPG/adventure game, just as NWN in NWN you go also to other regions and battling monsters....
[snapback]30045[/snapback]
That's a maze not a puzzle.

That's also not a puzzle, either a tactic or a strategy, not a puzzle.

Still not a puzzle, probably a maze like the first.

Maybe not brainless, I don't know, I haven't played. But the examples you gave are not puzzles.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »
That's a maze not a puzzle.

That's also not a puzzle, either a tactic or a strategy, not a puzzle.

Still not a puzzle, probably a maze like the first.

Maybe not brainless, I don't know, I haven't played. But the examples you gave are not puzzles.
[snapback]30046[/snapback]

Still the maze required to think about it to solve it so I think of it as a puzzle....

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 02:13:48 PM »
Still the maze required to think about it to solve it so I think of it as a puzzle....
[snapback]30049[/snapback]
Just because a cat and a dog are both animals doesn't make the cat a dog.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
If it's found on the paper placemat you got with your Kid's Meal, it counts as an "activity" but then, they keep the maze books with the puzzle books in most bookstores.....

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
Just because a cat and a dog are both animals doesn't make the cat a dog.
[snapback]30054[/snapback]

If someone can get through the maze in the GS dungeon, I'd be impressed.  I may have posted a map around here...some where.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 03:37:28 PM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 05:11:45 PM »
If someone can get through the maze in the GS dungeon, I'd be impressed.  I may have posted a map around here...some where.
[snapback]30061[/snapback]
Then be impressed, I did it twice. The first time I did it with a party, we didn't kill much we just did our best to run through. I found the door on the first floor by the markings, and had someone with search look there, then I had to figure out the damn puzzle on the second cause my party members were incompetent. The maze was simple however, it was easier than the first two floors cause I didnt have a bunch of shit trying to kill me. Once we got to the end, my party ended up dying out cause people crashed or left, went to the fourth dungeon by myself, got owned and left. The second time I had Hubba following me killing shit for me lol.

Though I remember running into a huge fricken eyeball and a horror in a dead end. -_-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:12:41 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
they keep the maze books with the puzzle books in most bookstores.....

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]30056[/snapback]

Yes excatly thanks throbble, Maze's are being looked as Puzzle's you need your brain to get out of them

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2006, 05:50:03 PM »
Virtual mazes and paper mazes are different. On paper you see the whole maze, and have to look to see the correct path. In a virtual maze, you just run around trying to find the right place to go, unless there are clues, for the most part you only use your brain to remember where not to go.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2006, 09:25:46 PM »
Then be impressed, I did it twice. The first time I did it with a party, we didn't kill much we just did our best to run through. I found the door on the first floor by the markings, and had someone with search look there, then I had to figure out the damn puzzle on the second cause my party members were incompetent. The maze was simple however, it was easier than the first two floors cause I didnt have a bunch of shit trying to kill me. Once we got to the end, my party ended up dying out cause people crashed or left, went to the fourth dungeon by myself, got owned and left. The second time I had Hubba following me killing shit for me lol.

Though I remember running into a huge fricken eyeball and a horror in a dead end. -_-
[snapback]30065[/snapback]

well...shit. I'm impressed :P

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »
well...shit. I'm impressed :P
[snapback]30072[/snapback]
:lol: I actually got completely through the dungeon the second time since Hubba was kind enough to allow the creatures to see him. (Sometimes looks will kill.)

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2006, 11:56:26 PM »
The second time I had Hubba following me killing shit for me lol.

[snapback]30065[/snapback]
Super Impressed
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Chard!

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2006, 12:21:22 AM »
Now that i think about it, you don't really have to use your brain in Final Fantasy. But i don't care. The story and the graphics is what keeps me hooked up till the end.

FFX sucks compared to VII and VIII.  :tease:

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2006, 02:04:33 AM »
Now that i think about it, you don't really have to use your brain in Final Fantasy. But i don't care. The story and the graphics is what keeps me hooked up till the end.

FFX sucks compared to VII and VIII.  :tease:
[snapback]30085[/snapback]

But you have to admit that the original Final Fantasy had the best graphics and soundtrack. I even entered a Nintendo Power contest by taking a picture of the randomely spawning robot near the final battle.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2006, 05:13:57 PM »
But you have to admit that the original Final Fantasy had the best graphics and soundtrack. I even entered a Nintendo Power contest by taking a picture of the randomely spawning robot near the final battle.

[snapback]30086[/snapback]

Warmech in the Sky Castle cooridor right before Tiamat.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2006, 05:20:56 PM »
Warmech in the Sky Castle cooridor right before Tiamat.
[snapback]30135[/snapback]

I still got the pictures, they are blurry as fuck but next time I'm at Throbble's parents I'll see if I can scan it in and post it!

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
For clarity, when 420 says he "took a picture" he means he took a picture of the TV set with his 35 mm, 30 lbs. Instamatic with the flash cube.

-Throbblefoot
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:03:51 PM by Throbblefoot »
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Chard!

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2006, 12:56:22 AM »
For clarity, when 420 says he "took a picture" he means he took a picture of the TV set with his 35 mm, 30 lbs. Instamatic with the flash cube.

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]30144[/snapback]

Sounds like something i really want to see.  B)

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
If anyone can get PSM (magazine), this months issue is really really good. It also has like 5 page article on FF XII, FF XIII, and FF Versus XIII.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles