Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 11865 times)

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
    • http://
Firefox
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »
So I just got Firefox and I ike it. I only have two probelms with it (which i'm sure can be fixed) is that it downloads things to my desktop and the blinking thing that appears when you write something doesn't blink and is bold!!!!!!!! But yeah it's cool. I actually think it's faster than IE.

Edit: Btw the Tabs are soooooooo cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 06:00:54 PM by Who The Man »

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 06:53:21 PM »
So I just got Firefox and I ike it. I only have two probelms with it (which i'm sure can be fixed) is that it downloads things to my desktop and the blinking thing that appears when you write something doesn't blink and is bold!!!!!!!! But yeah it's cool. I actually think it's faster than IE.

Extensions are your friend (Tools -> extensions)
The blink tag was a MS only tag - i.e non-standards compliant

EL CABAZONO

Firefox
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:02:30 PM »
My blinky thing blinks with firefox.... I think you're broken.

EL CABAZONO

Firefox
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 10:44:48 PM »
In other words - Minha coisa do farol intermitente pisca com firefox....  Eu penso que vocÃ???Ã??Ã?ª Ã???Ã??Ã?© quebrado.

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 10:54:35 PM »
In other words - Minha coisa do farol intermitente pisca com firefox....  Eu penso que vocÃ???Ã??Ã?ª Ã???Ã??Ã?© quebrado.

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 10:57:02 PM »

Extensions are your friend (Tools -> extensions)
The blink tag was a MS only tag - i.e non-standards compliant
So how do I make it blink fast and make it skinner, it's soooooo thick. It blinks, but it blinks soooooooo slow!!!  

EL CABAZONO

Firefox
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 11:02:14 PM »
It blinks at the same rate as IE... maybe SLIGHTLY slower, unnoticeable by me.

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 12:33:42 AM »
Mine blinks once every 5 seconds....

Offline Aljn

• MSN Messenger - mortuus_0@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Aljn0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 11:42:18 AM »
I must say I like Firefox Alot, been using it about a month now... other than that... I haven't experienced the blinky thing either.
I regret that I have but one life to waste on videogames! - Ethan CtrlAltDelete

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 07:11:01 PM »
What the heck are you guys talking about?

Whats  "blinky thing"???

A cursor?

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 02:45:33 PM »
I reinstalled it and the blink thing works now =)

Just having trouble with flaash movies, but there's probabaly an extension/pluggin for that somewhere. O and windows update, windows xp game advisor, basically anything with windows (microsoft) needs IE =(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 03:00:46 PM by Who The Man »

Offline Lord_Aiden

• MSN Messenger - DJ_LiquidIce@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acp3983
    • View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 03:33:12 PM »
I'm assuming this is another Mozilla-esque Internet Browser... probably seems cool, but when there's a program that 1. works and 2. is free... then I just have to ask myself "what is the programmer getting out of this?"

*Usually* someones not going to undertake something like designing a web browser without some sort of payoff.  If you're not told upfront what that payment you're making is.. then it's probably a price you don't want to pay.

I'll leave the spyware infested trojan carrying software to other people.

This one may be clean.. but i've seen too many cases where people "swear this thing is totally legit" turn out to be timebombs waiting to go off... CuteFTP is a perfect example.
A.K.A. Xorin - Dragon Archer of the Marauders
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

-Confucius, The Confucian Analects

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

-Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

-Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Offline Chichiri

• AOL Instant Messenger - Chichiri66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 04:30:19 PM »
IT IS the Mozilla browser (no -esque about it).
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 06:30:57 PM »
i've seen too many cases where people "swear this thing is totally legit" turn out to be timebombs waiting to go off...
Sounds like IE to me....

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 03:15:30 PM »
If this is the legit Mozilla Browser then my reservations aren't as severe.  Bit curious though, before I bother to even look at this does it support the following:

JavaScript
VBScript
Flash
ActiveX
OLE
ADODB Connections
DHTML
VRML

I ask not only because I need those compatibilities.. but also because I may be redoing the front-end for Lucidmagic for Nathan (if he likes what I've come up with) and I need to know what kind of compatibility you guys using this have.
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 03:21:46 PM »
If this is the legit Mozilla Browser then my reservations aren't as severe.
I have been using it for about a month now, though I still use Netscape and IE, firefox is now my default.

Basically Netscape won't make anymore updates to its browser. SO mozilla decided to do it themselves since Netscape was based on their technology anyway. It has all the functionality of Netscape, but it starts up quicker and loads pages faster.

Think of Firefox as Netscape 8.0

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 03:24:42 PM »
Also.. Since it's available for free download.. is it open sourced?  I feel a lot better bout freeware if I can take a look at what it's got in it.

-David Eddings

Offline Chichiri

• AOL Instant Messenger - Chichiri66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 03:56:38 PM »
Yeah you can open it up and look around to your hearts content.
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 04:32:49 PM »
Ok, I have been persuaded.. I'm gonna grab it up if for no other reason to test scripting compatibility with sites I design.  Who knows.. maybe I'll be persuaded to leave the Cult of Microsoft.  Doubtful.. but ya never know.

-David Eddings

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 05:03:50 PM »
Ok.. right off the bat I have some issues... Firefox seems to interpret Pixel dimensions and table settings differently than other browsers.  Also.. there seems to be an issue with absolute positioning, which seems to be tied in with the pixel dimensions as well.

ActiveX doesn't seem to work at all, auto-popup blocking is nice.. but many sites use that as a functional part of the site.. although I'm sure that can be worked around.

Rowspan/colspan seem to work a bit differently.. something's just not quite the same.. can't quite put my finger on it atm though.

DHTML doesn't seem fully supported, motion is choppy.. as if graphics that are set to preload don't..

VBScript functionality is limited.

On the other hand, Built in Java Console and debugging scripts are nice, I'll definitely be using this to check my java coding.

Flash seems to have little or no issues, and I like the fact it playes in a separate window if linked directly to a .swf file.

XML Seems fully supported.

Meta tags are readily viewable under the view => Page information section, which I haven't been able to find an equivalent in Internet Explorer.  I really like that as I tend to use meta tags to "sign" sites I create, as well as include keyword information and site descriptions.

Overall, for static or basic html pages, Firefox seems up to par.  It includes a lot more functionality than I expected, and has some nice extras I rather like.  For more dynamic, interactive pages, it seems limited in its ability to handle complex scripting at a reasonable speed.  

I give it (out of five)

-David Eddings

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 06:36:21 PM »
Ok.. right off the bat I have some issues... Firefox seems to interpret Pixel dimensions and table settings differently than other browsers.  Also.. there seems to be an issue with absolute positioning, which seems to be tied in with the pixel dimensions as well.

ActiveX doesn't seem to work at all, auto-popup blocking is nice.. but many sites use that as a functional part of the site.. although I'm sure that can be worked around.

Rowspan/colspan seem to work a bit differently.. something's just not quite the same.. can't quite put my finger on it atm though.

DHTML doesn't seem fully supported, motion is choppy.. as if graphics that are set to preload don't..

VBScript functionality is limited.

On the other hand, Built in Java Console and debugging scripts are nice, I'll definitely be using this to check my java coding.

Flash seems to have little or no issues, and I like the fact it playes in a separate window if linked directly to a .swf file.

XML Seems fully supported.

Meta tags are readily viewable under the view => Page information section, which I haven't been able to find an equivalent in Internet Explorer.  I really like that as I tend to use meta tags to "sign" sites I create, as well as include keyword information and site descriptions.

Overall, for static or basic html pages, Firefox seems up to par.  It includes a lot more functionality than I expected, and has some nice extras I rather like.  For more dynamic, interactive pages, it seems limited in its ability to handle complex scripting at a reasonable speed. 

I give it (out of five)
a) It interprets everything as per the modern w3c standards - so I guess by "other browsers" you mean IE.
b ) There are no issues with layers and positioning
c) ActiveX is MS-only (ie non standards compliant so you shouldnt be using it on your websites anyway)  - If you absolutely must have access to it, then there is an activex plugin available.
d) Only popups that "onload" are blocked.
e) DHTML is fully supported - MS made their own "additions" that arent standards compliant
f) VBScipt isnt implemented (because its non standards compliant - i.e microsoft only) - there is however a full (and correct) implementation of Javascript (as of Java) as opposed to "micorsoft javascript" (from Microsoft J++)

Basically - its the sites you are coding that arent standards compliant - not the browser you are using. If your websites consist of IE-only layer placements, ActiveX objects, and DHTML you are cutting off (up to) 42% of potential visitors to your website.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 06:40:22 PM by Talon »

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 06:43:47 PM »
I've considered that as well.. I'm an MSCE guy though, so I always think Microsoft first...

And the more I think about it the more I seem to remember something about Netscape requiring a different tag to remove cellpadding and spacing in tables.. which could account for the issue I'm seeing.

Anyone know the proper tag attributes to set a no-border non-padded non-spaced table up in Netscape?

Assuming it isn't
<TABLE Border="0" Cellpadding="0" CellSpacing="0">

**Edit** Nevermind.. seems this has been standardized now.  The Issue I was seeing in the page I had designed was related to default font size.  Which is different than IE.  Seems I am going to need to start specifying that.

The issues I saw with DHTML and such were when loading up www.htmlguru.com  A very intense site that I always use to test DHTML/XML compatibility.

Mostly, I'm keeping Firefox on my computer.. may or may not use as a default browser, will have to mess with it more to find out.  But as far as testing compatibility of my sites its a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 06:53:46 PM by Lord_Aiden »

-David Eddings

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 06:59:29 PM »
So I just got Firefox and I ike it. I only have two probelms with it (which i'm sure can be fixed) is that it downloads things to my desktop

I found where this can be fixed while I was browsing through the program.

Tools => Options => Downloads

Select either "Ask me where to save every file" or select a specific download location for all downloads.

-David Eddings

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 11:57:16 PM »
Ok, Firefox is now my new default browser because of ONE feature I just find friggin awesome.

You can set multiple tabs as your homepage.  I now have my browser load up LucidMagic, Google.com, Harmony Central (a guitar tab site), and a few other message boards I frequent on startup.  Now that is just friggin awesome.

-David Eddings

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2004, 03:59:45 AM »
Ok, Firefox is now my new default browser because of ONE feature I just find friggin awesome.

You can set multiple tabs as your homepage.  I now have my browser load up LucidMagic, Google.com, Harmony Central (a guitar tab site), and a few other message boards I frequent on startup.  Now that is just friggin awesome.
Heh - i didnt know you could do that :P

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2004, 05:25:18 AM »
Tabs are awesome =), keep IE no matter hwat though,  u'll need iit for windowsupdate.com and a few other things that onyl work with IE.

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2004, 01:20:22 AM »
Hey I found another cool gizmo in firefox. You can have it so if u like type forums in the address bar it'll take you to the place u want it to =)

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Firefox
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »
That's possible with IE too... but a real pain in the ass to do.  You have to edit some file I can't remember the name of... something dns.ini or something like that.. basically an override for the DNS search.

**Edit**

Incidentally this is how a lot of spyware works too.. it places it's name in that file so that no matter what you type you go where it wants you to.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 05:14:11 PM by Lord_Aiden »

-David Eddings

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Firefox
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 01:41:34 AM »
o, btw i've found out that Windows Media Player streaming audio doesn't work on Firefox (quicktime works fine though), but does in IE. Anyone else have this problem?