Author Topic: Question about quicken feat  (Read 4973 times)

hunkyguy

Question about quicken feat
« on: December 11, 2004, 06:03:34 AM »
hello

thanks for making a great forum. i was hoping to build a pvp mod just like late sou days but had the following question :-

a player from late SoU playing days was talking about a need to make quicken feat work properly again.

what is the difference between the effect of quicken in late sou days the the effect of quicken after hotu? i think the effect changed after the introduction of auto quicken in hotu but i am not sure.

thanks!

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 08:46:21 AM »
hello

thanks for making a great forum. i was hoping to build a pvp mod just like late sou days but had the following question :-

a player from late SoU playing days was talking about a need to make quicken feat work properly again.

what is the difference between the effect of quicken in late sou days the the effect of quicken after hotu? i think the effect changed after the introduction of auto quicken in hotu but i am not sure.

thanks!
[snapback]12643[/snapback]
I would ask that player what he means, I never used quicken in the sou days. It took a spell 4 levels higher, if you had haste it wasn't worth it....

I might go testing the difference on a sou install but I don't see where it's good for.

-Mel

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 01:36:22 PM »
Here is the definition of Quicken Spell from DnD:

Quicken Spell:

You can cast a spell with a moment's thought
Benefit:
Casiting a quickened spell is a free action.  You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickend spell.  You may only cast one quickened spell per round.  A spell whose casting time is more tha 1 full round can not be quickened.  A quickend spelll uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell's actual level.

So here is how it should work in NWN:

When a quick spell is cast, there is no verbal or somatic components.  It just happens as though you used an item (this is what happen pre-hotu). After the quick spell is cast you may cast another normal spell.  All spells in NWN have a casting time of 1 round.  So you may cast 1 quick spell and 1 normal spell in 1 round.  If you have haste, casting times are cut in half, so you may cast 2 normal spells per round, like we all know.  If you cast a quick spell with haste you may cast 2 more spells that same round since their casting time is 1/2 a round, for a total of 3 spells per round.  It obviously doesn't work that way in Hotu.. in fact it really doesn't work at all and is a uselsss feat.

Offline Fury

• MSN Messenger - Asgardloki@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.piv.pivpiv.dk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 09:12:24 AM »
Here is the definition of Quicken Spell from DnD:

Quicken Spell:

You can cast a spell with a moment's thought
Benefit:
Casiting a quickened spell is a free action.  You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickend spell.  You may only cast one quickened spell per round.  A spell whose casting time is more tha 1 full round can not be quickened.  A quickend spelll uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell's actual level.

So here is how it should work in NWN:

When a quick spell is cast, there is no verbal or somatic components.  It just happens as though you used an item (this is what happen pre-hotu). After the quick spell is cast you may cast another normal spell.  All spells in NWN have a casting time of 1 round.  So you may cast 1 quick spell and 1 normal spell in 1 round.  If you have haste, casting times are cut in half, so you may cast 2 normal spells per round, like we all know.  If you cast a quick spell with haste you may cast 2 more spells that same round since their casting time is 1/2 a round, for a total of 3 spells per round.  It obviously doesn't work that way in Hotu.. in fact it really doesn't work at all and is a uselsss feat.
[snapback]12669[/snapback]
^^and Counter in Quick Bar ;)

-Vince
 :)