Author Topic: What you hate about mages  (Read 43718 times)

Offline Maxou

• View Profile
What you hate about mages
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2004, 11:58:02 AM »
but we were talking about real mages with high lvls >.<
[snapback]13007[/snapback]
Not exactly, were talking about the lack of (nearly) pure mages on gs these days. And also those new kind of mages having high hp/ac/ab (and hide somethimes) whit only 26 or lower sorc/wiz levels.

Just, the old mage duels have something special too. Also I not really have problems whit Mo's oppinions about taking ice resist. Just his reaction on other poeple playstyles did bother me. But I don't want to start this again.

Poeple should try those high mage builds a bit more, they can be fun to duel whit. I'm crappy at making them because I want at least 84 ac while having enough spellslots/hp to duel someone whit only spellslots and hp. And I don't want a helm on top of it. On other builds I always can do it whit 1 item less than the others. But that kind of mage can't be done like that.

I know I make it hard (impossible) for myself :P

-Mel
[snapback]13011[/snapback]

I think ( it's just an idea I never tested ) that you can build that kind of mage making 2 gear ( 1 for mage , 1 for fighters ) . Taking like auto still spell 3 , hell ball , epic mage armor , 2/3 epic cold resist , and the other feat on con or hp . Being 37 wizard 3 bard could ( I dunno I never tested ) be great . 3 bard to get silence + thumble . I dunno if you can afford not to take helm though .

I built a 38 sorc 1 pal 1 monk pure mage vs mage dueler . It's really easier to duel pure mage vs mage dueler with that kind of char . And mage that can to be all round with less than 30 lvl of mage are really , really , really easier to kill . I'll duel those with my all round try sorc .
Lord of Doriath .
Part of CoD .
Member of LoS .

Maxou :
- Sexy Sorcerer :  Mage dueler only
- Mighty Pingu : High dmg monk
- Wild Lion : Melee Bard str
- Wise Panda : eb AA
- Evil Rabbit : All round sorc

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2004, 02:42:03 PM »
ok here's the thing, 108 dmg on an ice storm means this is not a low lvl mage and a FoD would inflict a lot of dmg too, so in that case, yes a FoD is better if someone is using ice resist.

^ to the above post I think you need to consider that those 3 bard lvls don't count for very much at all other then feats and skills. Silencing would mean you can't cast and with no silence feats your a goner. If you meant auto silent feats instead of still then I understand.
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Maxou

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2004, 03:14:28 PM »
ok here's the thing, 108 dmg on an ice storm means this is not a low lvl mage and a FoD would inflict a lot of dmg too, so in that case, yes a FoD is better if someone is using ice resist.

^ to the above post I think you need to consider that those 3 bard lvls don't count for very much at all other then feats and skills. Silencing would mean you can't cast and with no silence feats your a goner. If you meant auto silent feats instead of still then I understand.
[snapback]13027[/snapback]

Mantle + silence ? :P
That work I tested on a 27 sorc 10 PM 3 bard :) Or try that lvl spell making you immune to lvl 2 spells .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:18:02 PM by Maxou »
Lord of Doriath .
Part of CoD .
Member of LoS .

Maxou :

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2004, 04:30:19 PM »

[snapback]13027[/snapback]

Mantle + silence ? :P
That work I tested on a 27 sorc 10 PM 3 bard :) Or try that lvl spell making you immune to lvl 2 spells .
[snapback]13033[/snapback]

Old tactic.  Useless against anyone with silent spells.  And most should have it.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
Not exactly, were talking about the lack of (nearly) pure mages on gs these days. And also those new kind of mages having high hp/ac/ab (and hide somethimes) whit only 26 or lower sorc/wiz levels.

Just, the old mage duels have something special too. Also I not really have problems whit Mo's oppinions about taking ice resist. Just his reaction on other poeple playstyles did bother me. But I don't want to start this again.

Poeple should try those high mage builds a bit more, they can be fun to duel whit. I'm crappy at making them because I want at least 84 ac while having enough spellslots/hp to duel someone whit only spellslots and hp. And I don't want a helm on top of it. On other builds I always can do it whit 1 item less than the others. But that kind of mage can't be done like that.

-Mel

I think ( it's just an idea I never tested ) that you can build that kind of mage making 2 gear ( 1 for mage , 1 for fighters ) . Taking like auto still spell 3 , hell ball , epic mage armor , 2/3 epic cold resist , and the other feat on con or hp . Being 37 wizard 3 bard could ( I dunno I never tested ) be great . 3 bard to get silence + thumble . I dunno if you can afford not to take helm though .

I built a 38 sorc 1 pal 1 monk pure mage vs mage dueler . It's really easier to duel pure mage vs mage dueler with that kind of char . And mage that can to be all round with less than 30 lvl of mage are really , really , really easier to kill . I'll duel those with my all round try sorc .
[snapback]13018[/snapback]
I have builds like you say whit 30 iceresist, some con, epic spells, auto stilled. A full for mage duels made char will still have a few advanges over it.

Also, most mages have a silenced gust of wind ready to use when silenced or they just cast silenced mantles. And that silence won't last long on a low level.

-Mel

Offline Maxou

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2004, 07:56:58 AM »

-Mel

[snapback]13018[/snapback]
I have builds like you say whit 30 iceresist, some con, epic spells, auto stilled. A full for mage duels made char will still have a few advanges over it.

Also, most mages have a silenced gust of wind ready to use when silenced or they just cast silenced mantles. And that silence won't last long on a low level.

-Mel
[snapback]13037[/snapback]

I thought using the silence vs ts and fighter not vs mage .
Anyway I didn't test that was just an idea .

But anyway that kind of build would be killed by hiders , bard aa without ts . It was just to say that you can build that kind of build you want .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 08:13:45 AM by Maxou »
Lord of Doriath .
Part of CoD .
Member of LoS .

Maxou :

Offline ViperDE2004

• MSN Messenger - noneofyourfreakinbuisiness@F-U
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2004, 03:54:42 PM »
Bard AA's dont have ts.
Viper, Leader of {Legions of Sages} -(LoS)-

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2004, 04:37:08 PM »
Bard AA's dont have ts.
[snapback]13403[/snapback]
Don't get the point, silence also works on them you know... As mage you rip off it's buffs easy too, taunt doesn't affect a some mages either, only whit good luck. 120+ concentration and combat casting, a bard aa doesn't has the charisma to taunt that.

The silence idea isn't bad, only the duration of it is so short whit just 4 bard levels or something like that.

-Mel

Offline ViperDE2004

• MSN Messenger - noneofyourfreakinbuisiness@F-U
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »
Yup your right
Viper, Leader of {Legions of Sages} -(LoS)-

Offline thanatos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2005, 01:04:32 AM »
Silence can also be gotten rid of w/ lesser dispel, as that has no verbal component in the first place.  So really, clerics are at a disadvantage anytime because if they want to buff first, you'd have mantle, they dispel, you mantle (or globe), etc.

Mages will always be one step ahead when dealing w/ silence users.

Back to the topic:
I am a mage myself (I think I'm pure...I've no auto-still feats and just 1 point in Epic Cold Resist..38/1/1 build), but it bugs me whenever other mages would run close to you and start casting causing you to make an 'attack of opportunity'.
Yes I'm finally back...though I'm not very well-known but I digress...

Thikusun Colds:
- The most boring looking mage out there.  But clothed.

Thiksina the Blah
- Standard archer.

Azrael IS DEAD - blah blah blah

Offline Maxou

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2005, 07:22:58 AM »
Silence can also be gotten rid of w/ lesser dispel, as that has no verbal component in the first place.  So really, clerics are at a disadvantage anytime because if they want to buff first, you'd have mantle, they dispel, you mantle (or globe), etc.

Mages will always be one step ahead when dealing w/ silence users.

Back to the topic:
I am a mage myself (I think I'm pure...I've no auto-still feats and just 1 point in Epic Cold Resist..38/1/1 build), but it bugs me whenever other mages would run close to you and start casting causing you to make an 'attack of opportunity'.
[snapback]15924[/snapback]

Are you a mage dueler only ? Because without still spell and high wis you can't have that much AC to duel other class than monk . But if you are mage duel only char take more than 1 point in Epic Cold resist . About that auto attack thing > Yeah it's pretty lame I agree but sometimes you can't prevent people ( and you ) to auto attack .

About silence > some good char can be used with silence vs mage : bard aa ( if you try to dispell silence you waste a precious time and you get hit ) - cleric sd ( if the mage didn't dispell the buff of the cleric , the mage hardly dispell silence ) - mage ( if you do it right it's 3 times free dmg : one he fails the spell , he dispells , he casts pretty difficult to use though you need really good timing ) .
Lord of Doriath .
Part of CoD .
Member of LoS .

Maxou :

Offline thanatos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2005, 07:37:49 AM »
Actually, my mage can hold his own against almost anybody.  He's won every type of character before (except pure SR monks since you can't dispel the SR w/ mords or whatever).

The point is some ppl in mage vs. mage duels exploit the lack of the "Improved Combat Casting" feat, and run close to you and cast a spell.  But I'd understand if it's by accident.  It happens sometimes.

I don't know the difference between pure mage duelers vs battle mages.  My mage build is supposedly a 'pure' mage (as I have no PM or RDD levels), but he has 77 AC (and no auto-still).  Tis pretty good.  Vs. archers, I'd use improved invisibilty + warding, and hope they don't get crits.  Vs. weapon masters, they have slightly worse AB, and my fortitude save is 49 so I'm almost impossible to be dev critted.

Only problem now is that instead of Auto-Still, I'm Auto-quickened.  Should I change it to Auto-still?  Or how about Auto-Silent?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 07:47:19 AM by thanatos »
Yes I'm finally back...though I'm not very well-known but I digress...

Thikusun Colds:
- The most boring looking mage out there.  But clothed.

Thiksina the Blah
- Standard archer.

Azrael IS DEAD - blah blah blah

Offline CleTus

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2005, 12:55:15 PM »
Actually, my mage can hold his own against almost anybody.  He's won every type of character before (except pure SR monks since you can't dispel the SR w/ mords or whatever).

The point is some ppl in mage vs. mage duels exploit the lack of the "Improved Combat Casting" feat, and run close to you and cast a spell.  But I'd understand if it's by accident.  It happens sometimes.

I don't know the difference between pure mage duelers vs battle mages.  My mage build is supposedly a 'pure' mage (as I have no PM or RDD levels), but he has 77 AC (and no auto-still).  Tis pretty good.  Vs. archers, I'd use improved invisibilty + warding, and hope they don't get crits.  Vs. weapon masters, they have slightly worse AB, and my fortitude save is 49 so I'm almost impossible to be dev critted.

Only problem now is that instead of Auto-Still, I'm Auto-quickened.  Should I change it to Auto-still?  Or how about Auto-Silent?
[snapback]15938[/snapback]

Auto Quicken's not that great.. I believe it's bugged. Auto Still is pretty good for all around mages.. You can have a shield for melle and take it off and get a spellslot dagger for mages. Also heavy armor helps a lot.
GIT-R-DONE!

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2005, 03:46:35 AM »
Just out of curiousity... what does this topic even have to do with LoS?

Offline CleTus

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2005, 04:24:26 AM »
LoS is a mage guild.. So stuff about mages fits here..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 04:25:53 AM by CleTus »
GIT-R-DONE!

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2005, 11:40:03 AM »
LoS is a mage guild.. So stuff about mages fits here..
[snapback]17198[/snapback]

I c

Offline Maxou

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2005, 01:52:37 AM »
Actually, my mage can hold his own against almost anybody.  He's won every type of character before (except pure SR monks since you can't dispel the SR w/ mords or whatever).

The point is some ppl in mage vs. mage duels exploit the lack of the "Improved Combat Casting" feat, and run close to you and cast a spell.  But I'd understand if it's by accident.  It happens sometimes.

I don't know the difference between pure mage duelers vs battle mages.  My mage build is supposedly a 'pure' mage (as I have no PM or RDD levels), but he has 77 AC (and no auto-still).  Tis pretty good.  Vs. archers, I'd use improved invisibilty + warding, and hope they don't get crits.  Vs. weapon masters, they have slightly worse AB, and my fortitude save is 49 so I'm almost impossible to be dev critted.

Only problem now is that instead of Auto-Still, I'm Auto-quickened.  Should I change it to Auto-still?  Or how about Auto-Silent?
[snapback]15938[/snapback]

Auto still is way better . I mean it's different but way better vs melee .
Lord of Doriath .
Part of CoD .
Member of LoS .

Maxou :

Offline Angle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »
the thing i hate about mages is there shields they do so much bloody dmg if u dont dispell them, gets kinda anoying :P
Clanless once again