Author Topic: Epic Spell Bug  (Read 12847 times)

Offline Ludo

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« on: July 01, 2004, 08:51:08 PM »
I am not quite sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a bug which allows one to cast an epic spell like HellBall twice...

If a person were to cast a banned spell on someone, they would instantly die.. once they were revived.. if they do not rest they can simply cast HellBall or the Ruin spell(I think it is.. the 35d6 one) twice.

Please adress this, thanks.

Sith :ph34r:  

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
    • http://
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 09:00:28 PM »
uhm... sounds like a server problem not a bug in the game...

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 09:10:08 PM »
can be set to like unlimited hellballs
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 09:21:59 PM »
uhm... sounds like a server problem not a bug in the game...
Yeah - its a server bug (godspire)
Its caused because the current script doesnt call the event for spell casting.
I will address this in a future update.

EL CABAZONO

Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 10:49:51 PM »
Yeah, I was going to "duel" mel once and like my screen locked up with 1 hellball (I thought) and I took buhzillions of damage it was like a million trillion hellballs.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 05:26:09 AM »
:P , I was surprized I didn't crash on that one. We weren't useing counterspell so I dunno why it happend. But it's not the same as they talk about here. 2 hellballs afther each other is somthing else than a lot at the same time. This isn't a server bug.

Offline Lord_Aiden

• MSN Messenger - DJ_LiquidIce@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acp3983
    • View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:29:24 AM »
Speaking of epic spell bugs, I believe epic spells passing through mantle is also a bug.  It seems to be another symptom of the Cleric Domain/Shadow spell bug (ie a spell made available through another medium like another spell or feat).

Also I heard it mentioned that hellball should not knock someone down if they take less than 50 damage from the spell, that also does not seem to function properly if it is in fact the intended function.
A.K.A. Xorin - Dragon Archer of the Marauders
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

-Confucius, The Confucian Analects

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

-Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

-Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Offline thanatos

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:30:51 AM »
Epic spells are supposed to go through mantle  =)
Yes I'm finally back...though I'm not very well-known but I digress...

Thikusun Colds:
- The most boring looking mage out there.  But clothed.

Thiksina the Blah
- Standard archer.

Azrael IS DEAD - blah blah blah

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 01:53:54 PM »
Epic spells are supposed to go through mantle  =)
Can you please quote the D&D 3E rules regarding this and the title of the book from which the rule comes?

Thanks,

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 03:37:54 PM »
Epic spells are supposed to go through mantle  =)
Can you please quote the D&D 3E rules regarding this and the title of the book from which the rule comes?

Thanks,
Personally, I was under the impression that mantles provided immunity to level 9 and lower spells.
Also, the description for the epic spells say they are irresistable, which (at least in nwn) also means they byepass spell immunities (quillfire/earthquake are examples)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 03:54:21 PM »
(quillfire/earthquake are examples)
Wait... quillfire and earthquake go throufh mantle/SR?

Goddamit, I'm going to have to buy the core rule books so I can figure out what Bioware fucked up and what actually works properly.

Offline thanatos

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
While I don't have the books themselves, I do know that Epic Spells aren't designated levels, and intuitively they're all real powerful.  Mantle absorbs spells based on levels, so I don't think epic spells can be blocked by mantle.  I could be wrong but it won't make sense if some lesser spell mantle blocks hellball...

Thikusun Colds:

Thiksina the Blah
- Standard archer.

Offline MageRender

• MSN Messenger - MageRender
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MagusSyndicate.com
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 12:33:08 AM »
While I only have the 3rd edition rules (not 3.5) I was unable to find any record of a spell entitled "Spell Mantle" or any other spell that remotely has the same effects as the spell mantle series does. On a further investigation, I checked the game manuals for Icewind Dale I and II, in addition to the Baldurs Gate manuals. Once again, there were no such spells that had any related effects. I find it highly unlikely that they would add that particular spell(s) to the 3.5 edition ruleset -- when playing TableTop DND, such a spell would be impractical anyways due to there being a medly of other magic resist spells.

Quick Note: Aside from the Epic Level Handbook, the only other book I am lacking is "Tome and Blood". After being a DM/Wizard for a considerable time period however, I have the majority of the Epic spells memorized -- there is no reference to mantles in said description.  If it exists, then perhaps it is in "Tome and Blood" instead?

Regardless, I was also under the impression that spell mantles were unable to negate the damage effects of any epic spell.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 12:49:51 AM by MageRender »

Offline thanatos

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 12:49:01 AM »
It's probably a NWN thing, just like the Isaac Missiles.

To others: If you want info about epic spells check out the epic level handbook.  The epic spells aren't as uber as they are in NWN.  (Backlash damage anyone?)  But the powerful epic spells are real insane...VENGEFUL GAZE OF GOD 305D6 MUAHAHAHHA....

*ahem*

« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 12:51:43 AM by thanatos »

Thikusun Colds:

Thiksina the Blah
- Standard archer.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 12:03:28 PM »
While I only have the 3rd edition rules (not 3.5) I was unable to find any record of a spell entitled "Spell Mantle" or any other spell that remotely has the same effects as the spell mantle series does. On a further investigation, I checked the game manuals for Icewind Dale I and II, in addition to the Baldurs Gate manuals. Once again, there were no such spells that had any related effects. I find it highly unlikely that they would add that particular spell(s) to the 3.5 edition ruleset -- when playing TableTop DND, such a spell would be impractical anyways due to there being a medly of other magic resist spells.

Quick Note: Aside from the Epic Level Handbook, the only other book I am lacking is "Tome and Blood". After being a DM/Wizard for a considerable time period however, I have the majority of the Epic spells memorized -- there is no reference to mantles in said description.  If it exists, then perhaps it is in "Tome and Blood" instead?

Regardless, I was also under the impression that spell mantles were unable to negate the damage effects of any epic spell.
Look more closely at the BG2 handbook you will find spells such as Spell Trap etc that have the same effect as Spell Mantle...actually i believe Spell Trap is even better as it absorbs magic and has the effect of replenishing your magic, for example if a level 8 spell was casted on you while you have Spell Trap up you will not only be protected from it but you will gain a level 8 spell back.

Offline 7th Heaven

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 03:45:28 PM »
BG2 is my second fav game of all time (im bored so i just thoght id share :P )
"In an age of nothing, at a time when we stand at the brink of our own destruction-strengthen your belief in yourself, in the future of humanity, in things of this world which cannot easily be percieved. Awaken that which lies dormant now within your soul. Re-ignite the flame of your consciousness, and measure the strength of your conviction. Reveal the lie. Renounce your hatred. Seek, find, and embrace the truths you are fortunate enough to discover. Cherish them, use them to anchor you in the sea of chaos that is the world we live in. When twilight draws near, when you are pushed to the very limits of your soul, when it seams that all you have left are the dead remains of the fabric of your life-BELIEVE"

-Disturbed

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 03:53:11 PM »
The Epic spells can be found in the Epic level handbook i dont have this book my self but have picked it up in books stores and read it thin only to relize im poor and cnat offord anymore books :(  it i get a chane i will talk mom into runing me to the book store some time and i will write down what the epic spells listed in the game are spose to do

and i also did a quick look over of the 3.0 and 3.5 hand books yeah spell mantels dont exist its and NwN thing i guessthe closest thing i could find was spell turning
 which reflects 1d4+6 levels back at caster

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 06:28:06 PM »
The Epic spells can be found in the Epic level handbook i dont have this book my self but have picked it up in books stores and read it thin only to relize im poor and cnat offord anymore books :(  it i get a chane i will talk mom into runing me to the book store some time and i will write down what the epic spells listed in the game are spose to do
Hee hee, I'm sure the people at Boarders Book Store are getting tired of me hanging out in the D&D section thumbing through the various manuals and taking notes.

I'm waiting for one of them to get fed up and say, "Hey, this isn't a library!"

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
Epic Spell Bug
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 09:17:55 PM »
ROFL yeah they dont say to much to me not many of their custers come in and buy $115+ in books that normal jsut sit on their sheves and gather dust i will one day get that book but probably not till the full 3.5 version is released even though the 3.5 core books havea small over view of the epic standered classes in them but not the epic feats and so on lol