Author Topic: What is daoc like?  (Read 10340 times)

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« on: November 23, 2004, 03:52:03 AM »
ok so i saw some review websites
The grpahics looked a bit dark and maybe its a bit old but :-

How many players on one server at a time?
How easy is it to meet other players?
Is it just a fedex quest operation or is there a genuine storyline and is it random?
Is combat like d2.. or nwn?
How do you counter spells?

What do i think of daoc? I am just not sure it will offer anything more than just nwn. In fact even Guildwars and L2 do not seem to offer more than just the extra spectacular graphics...

Do i need AdnD online maybe? or nwn2? im not sure.. WoW sounded really interesting because it was crafted to be very immersive. But the big plus of nwn is that there is more than one type of world to visit. Even each world in the social category is different.

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:05:54 PM »
about 2,500 people on my server. Theres about 12 different servers, and Lancelot the one is play is the 2nd most populated. Theres 3 Realms in a server and each realm is at war. The graphics are not dark and they will be updated in the new expansion pack due out right before christmas. Very easy to meet new people lots of noob guilds out there and people are very generous. You ask for hand me downs and you won't have enough room to hold everything people wuill hand you. There is a story line if you play the role playing servers. I play the pvp where iti s realm v realm go out to a batle ground and you fight over a castle and a couple towers. You don't realy counter spells. The main spells in the game are called bolts. One class from each realm can cast them. If you use a shield you can counter them by blocking them (they are like a fire ball) or if you are in combat they have no effect. The other main spell is Area of Affect. Couple mage class can use these. Only way to real counter theses is to max your resist. They hurt hit very hard ^^. The combat is similar to nwn where as you dont have to keep clicking to swing, but there is some different things which makes it very nice. lets say I block with my shield. if I am a fighting class I will have a style for blocking. I block I hit the style buttong for blocking which does more dmg and some of the styles have effects if you hit them at the right time. I play thisg ame on a 40kbs connections and if you have dsl or cabel you will own. If i can play on dial up and still go to the batle grounds with over 200 people fighting then no one should have problems. Very good game you can get the gold edition for 20 dollars and have a 30 day free trial. If you dont like it then it is easy to resell your cd keys on ebay. or just download it from file planet I will let you use my account to see how you lik it.

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 05:38:29 PM »
thanks hypster spounds like a really cool game esp the blocking effects and 200 in a battle!

so sometimes there are really 200 people battling it out in one small battlefield? - not all on the screen at once but.. spread across the screen and a bit outside?

what happens when u die?

isn't daoc free to play online? (i must be mistaken?)

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:54:06 PM »
Well one you get about lvl 50 some times theres 600 people out in the main rvr area. The batle grounds are huge. if you dont ride a bout or have a personw ith spd in your group it would take about 3 hours to run to the batles. It isn't free is 10.95 a month and the first 30 days are free, but in all honesty it is worth it. The lower level batle grounds are smaller so even if there are only 20 people dukeing it out theres lots of action. When you die you are released back to ur rea;ms portal keep. nobody can loot ur corpse so no worries there. I will get u a main link that goes into more detail about the game. Like i said if u wanna try it you are welcome to play my account. i have level 50 (highest lvl you can get) and a few other lvl 40's and what not on my main server. i am guild master of the 2nd biggest guild in my realm so if u do wanna try it you will for surely get the help u need.

Offline nabhro

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:52:35 PM »
Well one you get about lvl 50 some times theres 600 people out in the main rvr area. The batle grounds are huge. if you dont ride a bout or have a personw ith spd in your group it would take about 3 hours to run to the batles. It isn't free is 10.95 a month and the first 30 days are free, but in all honesty it is worth it. The lower level batle grounds are smaller so even if there are only 20 people dukeing it out theres lots of action. When you die you are released back to ur rea;ms portal keep. nobody can loot ur corpse so no worries there. I will get u a main link that goes into more detail about the game. Like i said if u wanna try it you are welcome to play my account. i have level 50 (highest lvl you can get) and a few other lvl 40's and what not on my main server. i am guild master of the 2nd biggest guild in my realm so if u do wanna try it you will for surely get the help u need.
[snapback]11089[/snapback]
heya 1st post just saying HI

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 08:06:29 PM »
thanks hypster
i did find a link to the official site and its faq but ur summary is way better

i can't make tiem for daoc yet even tho it does sound really great..

oh can you dance? for emotes?like in wow u can dance
i thought the grap[hic shots look very nice too and its not too demanding on cpu  as well according to the system specs

but yeah i love to chat about it and maybe others can read this and know how good daoc is!

Offline Oertel

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 10:17:13 PM »
I'm just testing the posting  :)

Celestial1: In other words, your spamming. No point in it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:01:16 AM by Celestial1 »

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 11:22:57 PM »
Yes one sec this is what you can do lol

/bang  Bang on your shield  
/beckon  Makes a beckoning gesture with character's hand  
/beg  Plea for items or money  
/blush  Act in a shy manner  
/bow  Give an honorable bow  
/charge  Onward!  
/cheer  Cheer with both hands in the air  
/clap  Make a clapping gesture  
/cry  Sob pathetically  
/curtsey  Give a low curtsey  
/dance  Dance a little jig  
/dismiss  Make a dismissing gesture  
/flex  Makes a flexing gesture  
/hug  Makes a hugging gesture  
/induct  Make a ceremonial induction gesture  
/kiss  Blow a kiss  
/laugh  Makes a laughing gesture  
/military  A military salute  
/no  Shake your head  
/point  Points to something in front of you  
/ponder  For when you just want to go "hmmmmmmm"  
/present  To present someone with something  
/raise  Raise your hand, as in volunteering or getting attention  
/rude  A rude gesture  
/salute  Makes a stiff salute  
/shrug  Shrug your shoulders  
/slap  Slap someone  
/slit  Let your enemy know what you want to do to him  
/surrender  I give up!  
/taunt  A very mean gesture when you really want to insult someone  
/victory  Make a victory cheer  
/wave  Makes a waving gesture  
/yes  Nod your head  

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 09:11:18 AM »
i bet they can all be hotkeyed huh?

i think daoc has some cracked servers maybe.....

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 04:57:40 PM »
i bet they can all be hotkeyed huh?

i think daoc has some cracked servers maybe.....
[snapback]11164[/snapback]

Yeah you can hot key them, but what do you mean by cracked servers?

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 04:15:25 AM »
in that they are servers you can play on and not have to pay

like Ultima Online has cracked servers now (called shards)
and so does bf1942 and lineage 2 and... even ragnarok

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 06:14:02 PM »
Nope, if there were cracked servers i would not be paying 10.95 to play the game ehehe.

Spawnblade

What is daoc like?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 07:12:33 PM »
Heh... well a few things.  Any game online that is worth playing nowadays you have to pay monthly for(besides NWN and guild wars when it  comes out).  I agree with hypster in that, but he is wrong about the cracked servers.  However I am not sure if those are legal to talk about so I will not post anything about them here.  DAOC is really a fun game though and I recommend it, I played it on and off for a long time, including a while with Hypster ( when he was guildmaster of a tiny little speck guild with 10 active members) .  They have different servers for whatever your interests are, and if you are really against paying every month for a subscription then save your money and buy Guild Wars when it comes out.  There's my two cents  :)

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 02:14:50 AM »
Heh... well a few things.  Any game online that is worth playing nowadays you have to pay monthly for(besides NWN and guild wars when it  comes out).  I agree with hypster in that, but he is wrong about the cracked servers.  However I am not sure if those are legal to talk about so I will not post anything about them here.  DAOC is really a fun game though and I recommend it, I played it on and off for a long time, including a while with Hypster ( when he was guildmaster of a tiny little speck guild with 10 active members) .  They have different servers for whatever your interests are, and if you are really against paying every month for a subscription then save your money and buy Guild Wars when it comes out.  There's my two cents  :)
[snapback]11318[/snapback]

LOL little guild with 10 active mebers well any whoo you were like the 1st member of it. we have over 200 people now. :)

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
What is daoc like?
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 04:23:58 AM »
so are daoc servers as hard to run as nwn servers?

and if i run a daoc server will i be paid for it?

Offline -{|}HypsteR{|}-

• View Profile
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
Um you don't run a daoc server. They are run by the companys. I play the game with dial up and i barely lag. Is great

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 02:43:41 PM »
ah damn it....well at this rate i won't be able to get my books for next semester..STOP TELLIN ME ABOUT THESE COOL GAMES  :P *rushes out to spend last 40bucks on DAoC*
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Hubba

• MSN Messenger - roy_paprika@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
What is daoc like?
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 03:30:02 PM »
Im just saying, but there are alot of cracked servers out there. check www.camelotworld.de for info. ( you can also download the game + expansion from that site)

Hubba
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:05:50 AM by Hubba Bubba »