Other > Computer stuff

graphics card issues

(1/2) > >>

Elessar Telrunya:
So last night my graphics card started giving me some problems. Everything is still rendering just fine, but there's also some static coming through and occasional lines across the screen. I've checked that everything inside my computer case is clean and updated the drivers, but the problem persists. My dad is of the opinion that it's about to die on me (every time this has happened to him, he's had to replace the graphics card shortly thereafter). I just wanted to check the peanut gallery here in case anyone had other ideas I might check.

This is my current graphics card for reference. It's almost two years old.

Soul Sojourner:
Most likely will persist or die. Tested monitor? Tried separate OS/installation to rule out software conflicts?

Good airflow, not over-overclocking, using a UPS?

I know many a video card die (normally half-die. Persistent problems occur but card usually still functional, albeit, not well.) due to no UPS, or worse no surge protection at all.

All good? Possibly bad luck, at least it wasn't a much shorter lifespan.

420:
I agree with HellMasterHell's assessment.

Throbble's nVidia 9800 GTX crapped out a couple years ago after many years of use. Certain games ran fine, other games, like Diablo 3, gave her the rainbow static. It's pretty common for high end video cards to crap out after a few years, especially if they were first generation. (ie when the card gpu tech was brand new as opposed to a later, smaller remake after the tech had been optimized)

Anyway, I doubt it's a problem with anything else in your system. You can always switch out the video card with one from another computer if there is one handy just to be sure.

Elessar Telrunya:
Yes to all except the UPS. Haven't had money to spare on one. Thanks for the input. I just ordered a new card. It should be here later this week, and then I can get back to playing Child of Light.

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote from: Elessar Telrunya on May 04, 2014, 08:29:20 PM ---Yes to all except the UPS. Haven't had money to spare on one. Thanks for the input. I just ordered a new card. It should be here later this week, and then I can get back to playing Child of Light.

--- End quote ---
Have you ever heard the saying, "you can't afford not to?" A UPS is generally one of the things that saying is meant for. For a bargain PC it might not be worth it, but it is essential for any PC you put down real money on.  You can fetch a good UPS for somewhere between $150-200 probably cheaper; it's going to depend on the quality, brand, and how much wattage you need/want. Surge protectors are great for protecting your electronics from power surges, but what about power outages and power dips? Of course there are other factors, but it's pretty common to not find out what killed your card; better to be safe than sorry I say.

Grats on the new card, I hope it was an upgrade at least. Most likely you got some bad luck card death on the last one. It is as 420 says though, and if you didn't buy new tech then hopefully you'll have a longer lasting card this time around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version