Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 8851 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Path of Exile
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
Anyone heard of this game?

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Path of Exile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
lol +20% increased character size on an item.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
I've only heard of it on the Diablo 3 forums. People saying it's a superior game and Diablo 3 is crap as compared. I'll take a look at the link after lunch.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
I downloaded it last night, though I tried the alpha version like 2 years ago and didnt seem that great, but yeah didnt play much either anyways.
Took a closer look last night, it just have a VERY HUGE passive skill tree that connects all classes together, there is no class/weapon restriction the only difference is the starting point on the passive skill tree, the active skills are jewels that you can equip on weapons equipment ( and unequip just by right-clicking), lvl them up while killing stuff and every class can equip those aswell. The real difference is the 3 stats STR, INT and DEX the skills are based on those as well as the slots on the equipment use 3 colors refering to those stats.

Im playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) with a friend basically cos it reminds me a lot to neverwinter, but yeah ill try it out some time.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
I looked at the overview. Seems interesting but I  suspect that in order to really play the game well you will have to become a master at that conspiracy theory web they call a skill tree.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »
I looked at the overview. Seems interesting but I  suspect that in order to really play the game well you will have to become a master at that conspiracy theory web they call a skill tree.
I checked out the skill tree on the website, looked insane and complicated until I used it. Pretty straightforward actually. It reminds me a little bit of the skill tree you had in Dynasty Warriors 6, although that was considerably smaller and each tree was character based, it worked in a similar way.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
Not really straightforwards since you can come up with a ton of different builds and each class starts in a different spot, some of the big ball thingies are apparently big game changers, so you would need to consider if you really want them and if its worth it to go all the way over there and such.

and for the biggest part... theres NO skill reset so it forces you to actually plan ahead and choose carefully or as like I suppose almost everyone does just pick one of the viable cookie-cutter builds from the forum and improve over it, or yeah try to make your own without any real game knowledge ( on your first char at least) and hope it turns out right.

Theres only a refund point system which just gives you 1 point on some quests or using a rare item drop that gives you 1 refund point aswell.

Theres 1350 passive skills from which you can only pick 120 on the way to max level (100). (You get 1 extra skill point from some quests).

The devs said that if you want to respec, make another char :p.

So yeah... pretty straight forward...

Though I talked a bit with a friend playing it over some concepts and I know more or less what I want to pick for my ranger, so I hope it turns out well... lvl 22 or so at the moment.

Also the melee builds are way harder to use and completely gimped at higher lvls, unless you have very good gear and absolutely know what youre doing. Theres a post from the devs that theyre going to make them more viable.

Aside from that HUGE skill tree the game is fun so far. The actual active skills have to be equipped and leveled through the gear sockets, can be upgraded with some gems if placed them together in linked sockets and can be removed/changed anytime you want.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:50:21 PM by Tyrael »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
Not really straightforwards since you can come up with a ton of different builds and each class starts in a different spot, some of the big ball thingies are apparently big game changers, so you would need to consider if you really want them and if its worth it to go all the way over there and such.
Straightforward as in: Easy to understand/use. Not as in: Linear.

That's unfortunate news about the melee builds; Typically, those are my preference.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:23 PM »
They're still viable if well built and not doing "ramdom" stuff like a witch with two-handed swords... I actually saw that build in the forums :0, everyone jumped at the poor guy with the pro build apparently.

But yeah at higher lvl they're considerably harder to lvl / stay alive than the ranger/mages, though of course I just read it in a few different posts I havent tried it myself.
But like I said theres a message from the devs saying that theyre buffing melee and adding some new skills shortly.

Some of those unique passives are cool, like blood magic (makes mp 0 and uses hp for skills), theres another that makes all your attacks 100% accurate but you cant crit, etc, cant evade attacks but cant be stunned, convert evasion to armor, etc (some of the ones im taking)

Its in OB so I suppose they can still make it better.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
I don't see blood magic being up my alley, however, I could see it used on a massive tank character with all points towards health, shield, and armor, and the occasional stray one handed offense. So much hp that using it for your skills would be wise indeed.

Personally, some of those templar skills look like a good place to dip my fingers in. :P

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
Been playing the piss out of this.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
Been playing the piss out of this.

haha...so whats the verdict? Is it very good or are you just sadly addicted to it like it's heroin?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »
Very good, and it's still beta. Supposedly they're going to be adding a fourth act sometime soon and patching every week with new shit. Some things are lacking in variety and options, but I think they're going to be working on that.

A game like this hasn't been able to keep me occupied since D2. Some people complain there's no single player, but really you're always playing solo unless you choose to be in a party. The only way you can end up in the same instance as another player and not be in a party, is to have been in a party and left, causing you to potentially share an instance with someone else. Don't know if they'll have an offline mode in the future, but I doubt it. While it's true that combining modes saves money, Blizzard never had the low-money excuse these guys do. *shrug* Nowadays, while I dislike it, I've pretty much gotten used to it from most games. At least in this case if you don't get to play, it's not like you paid for it. :P

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
I'm going to give it a try since it's free for the beta. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
I'm going to give it a try since it's free for the beta. I'll let you guys know how I like it.
Not free for the beta, free foreverrrrrr. What class you lookin at?

Right now, melee is a little on the hard-to-use side when you get into the higher levels, but the next patch which is due todayish is supposed to change the duelist section of the skill tree and revamp some things about melee, with more improvements to come. Ranger and Witch are some of the highest DPS classes right now. This is actually in part due to items, a lot of the more powerful unique items are for witches and rangers right now, with a lot of high level uniques for other classes not in existence yet. It's still in beta though, this game is going to get even better, so long as they stay the course.

Look for me if you want to add me, my account name is Soul_Sojourner, and my Marauder is Jevalla_Dyskord (was upset they didn't allow characters, supposed to be Je'valla Dyskord.) See you in Wraeclast!

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 01:26:20 AM »
I'm trying out a witch, but I've only gotten a little bit done. My account is etelrunya and my character is Enelya_Telrunya. It seems pretty neat so far though.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
I'm about level 15 now, and I'm really enjoying the game. As far as I'm concerned, it plays exactly like a Diablo game with slightly different mechanics. I don't think I've really gotten far into the story, although I don't think that's really the focus. I think it'd be worth shelling out some money to buy if I had to.

Also, question: do you invest in attributes other than your primary attribute as a marauder? The only bonuses to strength and dex I've gotten on my witch are from items, and I'm wondering if I can keep only investing in intelligence or if I'll eventually have to get strength or dex to be use the gear I will need.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
I do off-shoot into other areas, but I stay on strength nodes as much as possible. You can totally pick up other attributes to support whatever build you're trying to make, however, they are not necessary. There is gear suited to every class. For instance, there is gear with energy shield AND armour, that requires strength AND intelligence, suited mostly for the templar. Then there is gear with pure armor, requiring only strength, suited best for the Marauder. But since choosing a class only affects your starting position on the skill tree, you can do what you want after that. A big part of the game is skill gems and support gems, and some builds are made entirely around the use of a certain skill. Obviously, to use green and red skill gems, you're going to need the correct stats, but if you don't think they'll be up your alley then it's blue only for you (you can use low level skill gems of the other two, as long as you don't level them too much).

There's also always a passive skill to compensate for everything. For example, as a Marauder, I take no intelligence nodes unless I need to to get somewhere else, so my mana is really low, mana regen is practically non-existant, and I become inable to use my skills after only a few uses due to running out of mana. Solution: Blood Magic Support gem, to augment the skills I desire, OR blood magic passive node to make all skills require health. I have Blood Magic, and can continuously spam a skill over and over forever and never run out of hp. Works for me. For instance, my ground slam costs like 31 mana each use, so that's 31 hp. My health regen right now is 101.2, so blood magic.... *really* good idea.