Author Topic: Superman's Home Planet Krypton Found!  (Read 11327 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Superman's Home Planet Krypton Found!
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
Superman's Home Planet Krypton 'Found'
By Mike Wall | SPACE.com

A prominent astrophysicist has pinned down a real location for Superman's fictional home planet of Krypton.

Krypton is found 27.1 light-years from Earth, in the southern constellation Corvus (The Crow), says Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the American Museum of Natural History's Hayden Planetarium in New York City. The planet orbits the red dwarf star LHS 2520, which is cooler and smaller than our sun.

Tyson performed the celestial sleuthing at the request of DC Comics, which wanted to run a story about Superman's search for his home planet.

The new book - Action Comics Superman #14, titled "Star Light, Star Bright" - comes out Wednesday (Nov. 7). Tyson appears within its pages, aiding the Man of Steel on his quest.
"As a native of Metropolis, I was delighted to help Superman, who has done so much for my city over all these years," Tyson said in a statement. "And it's clear that if he weren't a superhero he would have made quite an astrophysicist."

You'll have to read "Star Light, Star Bright" to find out just how Superman and Tyson pinpoint Krypton. For amateur astronomers who want to spot the real star LHS 2520 in the night sky, here are its coordinates:

Right Ascension: 12 hours 10 minutes 5.77 seconds

Declination:  -15 degrees 4 minutes 17.9 seconds

Proper Motion: 0.76 arcseconds per year, along 172.94 degrees from due north

Superman was born on Krytpon but was launched toward Earth as an infant by his father, Jor-El, just before the planet's destruction. After touching down in Kansas, Superman was raised as Clark Kent by a farmer and his wife.

Now Superman will apparently know exactly where he came from.

"This is a major milestone in the Superman mythos that gives our super hero a place in the universe," DC Entertainment co-publisher Dan DiDio said in a statement. "Having Neil deGrasse Tyson in the book was one thing, but by applying real-world science to this story he has forever changed Superman's place in history. Now fans will be able to look up at the night's sky and say, 'That's where Superman was born.'"
I'll probably pick up a couple copies for myself.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:32:47 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Superman's Home Planet Krypton Found!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
I'm not sure what to make out of Neil deGrasse Tyson.  He's a very good astrophysicist and I love the planetarium in the Museum of Natural History in NYC, but he seems to like the spotlight a bit more than I'd like for a scientist.  He's in just about every documentary under the sun about topics in his domain and now he's making a big deal about finding "Krypton".

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
I'm not sure what to make out of Neil deGrasse Tyson.  He's a very good astrophysicist and I love the planetarium in the Museum of Natural History in NYC, but he seems to like the spotlight a bit more than I'd like for a scientist.  He's in just about every documentary under the sun about topics in his domain and now he's making a big deal about finding "Krypton".
To be honest, why shouldn't someone doing something meaningful (for the most part) be in the spotlight? In fact, why is our society so twisted that, people who play a part (an actor) in a movie/show/film (a recorded play with edits and cuts available to remove error) are given spotlight and fame versus people who are inventing, discovering, and changing the world? I believe people like scientists should be in the spotlight more, and people who act for purpose of entertaining, less.

Just my opinion though. I just find it hard to complain about good people being in the news for doing good things, even the occasional 'odd' thing, such as this, versus some lowlife actor being in the news for getting drunk, fucked up on drugs, and arrested, and then the follow-up story about their bullshit rehab and how they got out of it only to go back to it again.

Not trying to ' go off' on you or anything, I understand where you're coming from.

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
In fact, why is our society so twisted that, people who play a part (an actor) in a movie/show/film (a recorded play with edits and cuts available to remove error) are given spotlight and fame versus people who are inventing, discovering, and changing the world?

Simple, because people would become educated and realize how shitty the world is, and demand change....something the 'Powers that be' don't want.

In short:

"Obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork, but just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shittier jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, reduced benefits, the end of overtime and the vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:51:46 PM by Illutian »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
In fact, why is our society so twisted that, people who play a part (an actor) in a movie/show/film (a recorded play with edits and cuts available to remove error) are given spotlight and fame versus people who are inventing, discovering, and changing the world?
I think it's ironic that you used that particular imagery. "Why are actors given the spotlight?" Sounds like the first part of a really cheesy riddle.

However, I agree with your point. Actors are one of the lowest forms of life in my opinion and I have no idea why anyone gives credibility to their views on politics, religion, or anything that has any real impact on human society.

Traditionally a fool was someone who was allowed to publicly criticize rulers and discuss forbidden topics without fear of punishment because they were viewed as beneath contempt and therefor tolerated. Today's notion of the fool (actors, celebrities, pundits, etc.) are the exact opposite: actual idiots dressed up like royalty and worshiped like idols.

"That's like when people call actors geniuses. You know there's real geniuses right?"
-Bill Hader as James Carville

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
All I said was he just seeks the spotlight and I don't see that as a good thing when it leads to him saying that Krypton is found.  Not only is that stupid it actually may make some people thing that comic books are based on real life. 

I don't know..it's just a silly damn thing to talk about.  He's just looking for headlines.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »
All I said was he just seeks the spotlight and I don't see that as a good thing when it leads to him saying that Krypton is found.  Not only is that stupid it actually may make some people thing that comic books are based on real life. 

I don't know..it's just a silly damn thing to talk about.  He's just looking for headlines.

Comic books (the stereotypical ones) can never be believed to be real. I mean...how many times would Sup's job been easier if he'd just laser-ed the fucker in the head? :P

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »
Simple, because people would become educated and realize how shitty the world is, and demand change....something the 'Powers that be' don't want.
The 'powers that be' can assfuck a penguin. Just sayin...

I think it's ironic that you used that particular imagery. "Why are actors given the spotlight?" Sounds like the first part of a really cheesy riddle.
I actually caught that myself while reviewing my post and I considered changing it, but then decided it was kind of cool.

Comic books (the stereotypical ones) can never be believed to be real. I mean...how many times would Sup's job been easier if he'd just laser-ed the fucker in the head? :P
People will look for anything to believe in just so long as they don't have to accept reality. In this day and age, compliance is no longer requested, it's expected. When the government pulls out it's cattle prod, you know what to do. So, why not walk around in a daze and pretend the real-world doesn't exist?

I have a solution! Have you tried these pills?
My religion will bring you happiness and hope.
Superman is real, he saved me when I was little. I'm serious.
Scientology holds the answer to everything, come, join us.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »

According to the article, DC Comics approached Tyson. I don't think he usually spends his time looking for fictional planets.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
According to the article, DC Comics approached Tyson. I don't think he usually spends his time looking for fictional planets.

Who knows what he's doing!  Next we'll be hearing about Vulcan being found.  You watch and see!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
Who knows what he's doing!  Next we'll be hearing about Vulcan being found.  You watch and see!
The Vulcans will tell us where Vulcan is when they make first contact. What we should really be on the lookout for is the Borg homeworld.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBwPf9J2Ng

Done.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:19:18 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBwPf9J2Ng

Done.

Yep.  A lot of cool places out there to discover that's for sure.