Author Topic: Trials of the Hardcore  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Trials of the Hardcore
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
Well my HC character, Orka, is currently level 50 and in Act 4 NM having just killed Rak and being retrofitted with brand new items from the AH.

I will probably take a little breather from HC gaming as it got a little out of hand the other day.  My game timed out from Battle.net twice and both times I had just cleared the area of baddies.  Needless to say if the timeout happened 30 seconds earlier..bye bye Orka.

Then fresh off my Azmodan kill and waiting until I hit level 50 before venturing to the AH, I decided to start act 4.  First encounter in Act 4 is Iskatu.  Beware Iskatu!  I dunno why I thought he would be a push over but the increase in monster level from act 3 to 4 is nothing to sneeze at even in NM.

I was promptly surrounded with endless amounts of shades, as it usual for that encounter.  Except they actually hit me harder than I figured they would and my life was draining away.  Breathe of Heaven and then Serenity were both on cooldown and Iskatu was just over half dead but so was I!

In vein I tried to kite but he teleports and those shades come from everywhere.  Skills still on cooldown and I was low on Spirit because I was trying to keep those shades off me with Lashing Tail Kick.

Keep in mind that all this is happening in matter of seconds.  I look up and I'm about 1/4 life and Iskatu is still there and I'm surrounded by endless shades.

Ok so that was a good run! I thought to myself.  At least this will make a good story!  It's just a game!!  As these thoughts were crossing my mind and a wave of calm entered me as I resigned myself to my inevitable fate and eternal sleep, I noticed that I wasn't yet dead.  I should have been, but I was still punching Iskatu.  All of a sudden the will to live took hold of me! Fight Orka! Fight! Don't give up!

It was Divine Protection! As if the gods themselves were edging me on.  The Mantra of Evasion rune (which all HC monks should use!) reduces damage by 80% for 3 seconds when you hit 25% life. 

Ok! I will prevail I thought, but how? I'm almost dead and my damn skills are still on cooldown, albeit just about to finish, not fast enough though!  Then as if placed there by the same gods who were protecting me, I noticed a health globe about 100 yards away.  Get it!!! You must get it to live! By now, running purely off instinct and the will to live I activate Tempest Rush with what Spirit I had remaining, to make a quick dash for the life giving health globe.  I made it! Health restored!

Iskatu, probably desperate by now, teleports to me.  Timing was now on my side however as Serenity was available.  I hit Serenity and now Iskatu and his hordes are no longer a concern for me.  I look up at his health bar and he's a half dozen punches from oblivion.

Boom boom boom.  He's dead and Orka prevails!  Wow. 

HC mode provides a thrilling experience that's for sure.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:47:00 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trials of the Hardcore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
It was Divine Protection! As if the gods themselves were edging me on.  The Mantra of Evasion rune (which all HC monks should use!) reduces damage by 80% for 3 seconds when you hit 25% life.
Great rune, it's saved my 2nd monk's life on a number of occasions.

HC mode provides a thrilling experience that's for sure.
More like "nail biting" I've been taking it slow with my HC char. My doctor says I need to avoid stress.

Awesome story though, I couldn't believe you kept playing after the 2nd disconnect.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Trials of the Hardcore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
Awesome story though, I couldn't believe you kept playing after the 2nd disconnect.

I like living dangerously :P