Author Topic: Quick Thoughts...  (Read 6961 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quick Thoughts...
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
Cursed items would be sweet. It should be possible to wear all cursed gear. Cursed should be it's own classification. Like legendary, only irremovable. Also, some of the most powerful items in the game ought to be cursed.

ooh.. and cursed sets should exist.

Rare items should actually be rare, not simply uncommon.

Normal items shouldn't be useless.

There should be a such thing as "limited" items where only a set amount of the item may drop in the game and some may be more uncommon than others. Say some may be as few as 10 whereas others only as uncommon as 10,000. If one is somehow "lost" (perhaps through character deletion) it could be found again through normal means. This would certainly spice up the auction house.

A gear based game.... and the gem variation is strangely less than that of it's predecessor.

Level cap = existent only to waste time, considering how largely irrelevant and easily attainable it is.
Oh wow! A level! Great, now I can use the gear I already went through the trouble of obtaining!

The plot shouldn't suck.

Oh yeah and fuck gold. This isn't Mario, mother fuckers.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quick Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Cursed items would be sweet. It should be possible to wear all cursed gear. Cursed should be it's own classification. Like legendary, only irremovable. Also, some of the most powerful items in the game ought to be cursed.

ooh.. and cursed sets should exist.
I like the idea but irremovable wouldn't be a good mechanic for this type of game. (Maybe if the items "fell off" your body onto the ground when you died like cursed items in D&D and anyone could pick them up.)

How about if any legendary item had a random chance of rolling a "cursed" item property. Something like "Chance to be jailed whenever you kill a creature." or "Turn into a chicken for 3 seconds whenever you drink a health potion." or "Slow movement while equipped."

Rare items should actually be rare, not simply uncommon.
This just seems like an issue with semantics. Blizzard did a piss poor job of standardizing their naming conventions. Creatures with yellow names are "rare", items with yellow names are "rare". Creatures with blue names are "champions", items with blue names are "magic". Set items have green names but are considered a subset of legendary items which have orange names (or gold depending on who you ask).

Then of course you got purple named "unique" creatures and items. Both of which are, for some inexplicable reason, completely worthless. Unique items are just for laughs and unique creatures have shit xp and drops and don't count towards Nephalem Valor.

Normal items shouldn't be useless.
I completely agree. You should be able to forge inferior (gray named) items to normal and normal items to superior. And normal and superior items should be able to be imbued with magic to make them into rares.

There should be a such thing as "limited" items where only a set amount of the item may drop in the game and some may be more uncommon than others. Say some may be as few as 10 whereas others only as uncommon as 10,000. If one is somehow "lost" (perhaps through character deletion) it could be found again through normal means. This would certainly spice up the auction house.
Not sure what you mean here. Like there can only be a certain number of a specific legendary item created on b.net at a time? That would certainly destroy the economy and the gameplay in one fell swoop.

A gear based game.... and the gem variation is strangely less than that of it's predecessor.
I agree. There should be more variety in the effects gems give to certain items. Just for starters off-hand items (quivers, source, mojo) should be treated as weapons with regards to the type of item mod added. They are, after all, listed under the weapons tab in both the forge and in stores. Also, Shields should get a completely different stat than weapons, armor, or helm.

Level cap = existent only to waste time, considering how largely irrelevant and easily attainable it is.
Oh wow! A level! Great, now I can use the gear I already went through the trouble of obtaining!
You haven't played since 1.0.4 have you? They raised the level cap another 100 levels for a total of 160 levels. Good luck reaching that any time soon.

The plot shouldn't suck.
It's Diablo, there shouldn't even be any plot beyond "Kill demons."

Oh yeah and fuck gold. This isn't Mario, mother fuckers.
Huh? Are you suggesting the economy be based on something more Diabloesque, like demon parts? Because those are already used as crafting components.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
How about if any legendary item had a random chance of rolling a "cursed" item property. Something like "Chance to be jailed whenever you kill a creature." or "Turn into a chicken for 3 seconds whenever you drink a health potion." or "Slow movement while equipped."
That would be an interesting twist as well, but I just can't get over having at least some items that are irremovable... maybe ones that won't come off for a set time added to the mix of possible curses. lol. I just think it would be hilarious.

Not sure what you mean here. Like there can only be a certain number of a specific legendary item created on b.net at a time? That would certainly destroy the economy and the gameplay in one fell swoop.
Yes and no, I mean a whole new item classification, such as rare, magic, legendary, etc. "limited" Like legendary items, only limited with only a certain number being able to exist at one time, not a replacement for legendary. It would be an interesting addition, I believe.
You haven't played since 1.0.4 have you? They raised the level cap another 100 levels for a total of 160 levels. Good luck reaching that any time soon.
lol, really? No, I haven't. Suffice to say I was quite disappointed.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »
Yes and no, I mean a whole new item classification, such as rare, magic, legendary, etc. "limited" Like legendary items, only limited with only a certain number being able to exist at one time, not a replacement for legendary. It would be an interesting addition, I believe.
I see. So something like "Limited Edition" items (only with a better name). The idea is interesting as it could be used to add a "world event" aspect to the game.

How about this, like the Guy Fawkes Day event from Hellgate: London, make certain items and item mods only drop on specific dates and only once. So, for instance, the Limited Edition items/mods that randomly drop on Christmas 2012 won't be the same as the Limited Edition stuff that drops on Christmas 2013. That way people can have really special items.

Or maybe even present Limited Edition items as prizes for winning PvP tournaments (assuming that PvP is ever implemented of course).

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
haha whatever guys. As if any of these items would actually drop for you.  The loot system sucks.  Blizzard keeps talking about how they want players to feel as though the next awesome drop is around the corner...i call BS on this.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
Too funny a read:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6552145427

Work for it? Seriously? Tell you what. I'll start "working" for my items the minute Blizzard starts paying me to play Diablo. Your mom must be so proud of you. Bet she tells you that every day when she brings your meals to the basement.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Too funny a read:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6552145427

I posted to that thread.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6552145427?page=14#268
People have a tendency to see patterns in randomness. I play about the same number of hours every day. I went a week without finding a single legendary, then yesterday two dropped within two hours of one another. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Just like certain types of gambling it's all a game of chance.

-JJ

Did some new calculations:

Old estimation:
865 hours played / 12 legendary items = 1 legendary every 72 hours played

New estimation:
1145 hours played/18 legendary item = 1 legendary every 64 hours played

Strangely enough, my magic finder who has 210% base magic find hasn't found a single legendary.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
I've found 1 legendary.  In NM or something even.  Butcher's Cleaver.

I'm gonna play act 3 tonight...see what happens.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »
The loot system sucks.  Blizzard keeps talking about how they want players to feel as though the next awesome drop is around the corner...i call BS on this.

Yes the loot system sucks. It reminds me of another game I used to play where you could sweep areas over a dozen times and leave most of the loot on the ground because it was trash and 99% of the stuff you picked up turned out to be trash as well. Some of it turned out to be good for a chunk of gold at the vendors, but pretty soon your gold would cap and you'd have to gamble it down for a bunch of trash. Rinse and repeat.
So with the D2 system in mind I am not really displeased with D3's except the higher end items which are just not quite shiny enough to get anyone to look at them in the AH are also worth crap at a vendor.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »
The thing that annoys me most is that D3 is not really a game of any skill or thought.  It's simply a gear check game.  A 5 year old could beat the game if outfitted with the gear Blizzard wants you to have to beat it.

Evidence is everywhere.  If you out smart the system to beat a boss through skill then Blizzard adds enrage timers.
Can someone explain how you get the achievement of beating the bosses naked?  I think I saw that one on the list.

This guy character does not require skill to play: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Siskie-1126/hero/813914
My guess is he spent a few hundred at the RMAH. 

Blizzard rewards this and this is how they want D3 to be played.  At the AH where they get to implement Zynga economics.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
Can someone explain how you get the achievement of beating the bosses naked?  I think I saw that one on the list.
My theory is that you get a group of 3 friends to kill those bosses while you stand there naked. The other boss-related achievements count even if you are dead, so those probably do too.