Author Topic: Guild Wars 2, D3 and others  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Guild Wars 2, D3 and others
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »
Since D3 was a HUGE letdown (at least for me and 2 friends), Im still playing C9 but Im considering buying GW2 so how is it?
The most important thing can I still change server to play with you guys like in gw1? or at least somethin like d3 being able to create a char on american server and another char on eu server cos if its just 1 server per acc for all chars would suck :/

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Guild Wars 2
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »
Don't worry, it most definitely was for me too. I've given GW little thought because of the whole mmo thing, but might seriously consider it if I didn't have such a huge list of other games to play yet.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
I really enjoy (probably apparent by now, but...).  Right now you have to play on the same server ("World" in their lexicon), but once the server populations settle they are going to activate a feature called guesting, which allows you to play any of your characters on another server.  So right now I have two guilds on two different worlds.  I can play with one because I am on their server, but not the other.  As soon as guesting is enabled, I will be able to play with my second guild.  Was there a reason I chose one guild's world over another?  Yes - when you guest on another server, you will not be allowed to play in World versus World from that server.  One of my guilds does pretty much no pvp style game play, so I chose the server of the guild that would actually play WvW with me.  When guesting is enabled, I will be able to do anything else with my other guild.  Right now Mo and I are on the American server Isle of Janthir.

As for gameplay, I will warn you it can get super chaotic and takes a while to truly learn - I think I'm proficient, but I definitely haven't mastered it yet.  WvW can turn into a bit of a zerg sometimes, but it's still a cool style of pvp, and you can earn all the same types of rewards there as in the regular PvE environment.  As for the MMO stuff, I typically just go play on my own for PvE and personal story stuff.  Other players can definitely make it easier (ex. last night, I was struggling with the end of a jumping puzzle because of a particularly difficult group of monsters guarding the chest, and the third or fourth time I got to the end, someone else was there too, and we were able to handle the monsters together much more easily), but you don't have to play with them if you don't want.  If you do end up running around with other people, it's really easy to work together without being members of the same party, and the game will only reward you for working together to achieve something.

And for the no permanent healing class (not brought up, but worth a mention), it hasn't really been a problem.  If I end up struggling because of lack of healing, it's because I'm not balancing out the defensive and offensive capabilities of my character, which definitely takes some time to get a feel for.  There's a lot more focus on tactical defense and avoiding damage than trying to out-heal the incoming dps (in some cases, if you aren't actively avoiding getting hit by certain attacks, the dps will kill you very fast).

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
GW2.  Overall I think it's worth it considering the amount of content you'll get for the price of entry.  I am finding it very different from GW1.  There are a lot of things that currently bother me, but quite a few things that are nice.  I'll make a short list.

Things I find frustrating:

Monster respawns.  They respawn very fast. Since this is a persistent world I guess they didn't want large areas devoid of things to kill for all other players.  Problem is You can't really clear any particular area.  It gets super annoying when I've just killed a particularly hard enemy.  Then chill out for 10 seconds to have a look at my skills or change something and BAM he's respawned (maybe even at a higher level mind you) and he's attacking me again.  It's annoying and breaks immersion. You're just way too liable to get surrounded when monsters just keep respawning.

Events.  So far I don't really like them.  Basically so far.  I'm level 15 so still playing in low level areas.  What I've seen for events and "quests" are, "throw snowballs with so and so's children". "Heard a bunch of Dolyaks", "Go collect a bunch of this or that".  Ya I basically skip those.  As for larger "Events" it's always a "stop an invading bunch of so and so monster", these events typically see you and who ever else is there fight wave after wave or spawning monster.  I absolutely hate encounters that just see one wave of enemies followed by another that just "teleport" into the same area.  Its stupid.  I fucking hated Dragon Age 2 for this (and they went nuts with it) and I don't like seeing GW2 doing it also.  It breaks immersion again because it makes no sense for foes to just "appear".  Some events end with a "boss encounter".  I don't like these either because the bosses are just uber HP buffed enemies, that are being ganked by a dozen or more players.  To say these fights are a chaotic mess is an understatement.  Everybody is just walling at these enemies with every manner of skills, so there's lots of gfx going on.  It's hard to see what the monster is actually doing and some times you just die and not know wtf killed you (which is fucking annoying).  Anyway, it's childish crap like this that made me stay away from WoW.

So far I'm torn between whether or not I like the instanced areas of GW1 or this persistent world.  Dunno yet.  Maybe I'll start interacting more with random players I find along the way.  I also like coming across a dead player and reviving them, then they say thanks.  That's kinda cool.

Personal Story instances are the throw back to GW1 where it's just you in an area but so far these areas are TINY.  They take 5 mins to finish and some of them are pretty hard because...you guessed it....GW2 just spawns in wave after wave of monsters out of thin air after you might have struggled against the first group.  All taking place in a relatively small area.  It's lazy I will never agree to these sorts of encounters.

Control Woah control definitely are different.  Jumping is in! yay? whatever it's cool I guess.  So is swimming, thats neat.  But wait....no mouse click to move??? wtf?? I mean clicking the mouse does nothing so might as well make it move you?  You can't even bind skills to mouse either?? huh? 100 bucks says GW2 ends up on Xbox 360 soon. Yup you heard it here first.  These control WREAK as though they were developed for a console.  Only the keyboard moves you...but wait it gets worse...no auto-attack...what do I mean by this? Well let's say there's a big bad monster to the side of you or slightly behind.  Ok you can target him fine but let's say you attack him or use an attack skill...if you're not facing him, swing and a miss!!! waaaah! If I want to attacking a monster make my character fucking automatically move into range and kick his ass.  Nope Anet seems to think that's boring or something so combat now is more "action based".  Lots of controling...ok fine but at least help me out by making the mouse move me or biding skills to the mouse...anyway it's different.  I miss the old "target then hit spacebar" to move to and unleash hell on monsters.

Radar The radar in GW1 was great.  You could see what foes are around you and know how far you could get to them before aggro.  So how's the radar in GW2.  Good question.  There isn't one! Yup if you don't see baddies coming at you well I guess it's like fucking real life! Oh and the respawning monster problem I mentioned up there.  Ya a million times worse when they respawn behind you and you can't freaking see them there.  Lame.  I mentioned Events where wave after wave of monsters respawn.  Well I'm constantly using the mouse to 360 degree pan around me so I can see where they are spawning or coming from.  Umm Anet? Put a damn radar back in.  Wth?

What do I like? Lots of stuff actually.  Graphics are beautiful, music is great.  Variety of player characters is huge. 5 playable races that are each very cool with very interesting classes.  So there's lots of variety.  There's also a big crafting system and harvesting system that I haven't touched yet.  The game seems huge so I think it's good value.

Oh one thing that I am not so sure I like.  Skills here work a bit differently than GW1.  At least for attack skills, they depend on what kind of weapon you are equipping.  The mechanic is very cool actually but I find the variety lacking here.  I mean, I've already learned every attack skill for a few weapons...ya...no more new ones for a sword for the rest of the game? Dunno if I like this. 

Anyway even with all those frustrating thing I mentioned, I still enjoy being in this world and am very confident at the end of the day GW2 will be as memorable as GW1.  I was a big fan of GW1 so GW2 has big shoes to fill as far as I am concerned.

Dunno anything about PvP.  I won't venture there for a while.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »
Since D3 was a HUGE letdown (at least for me and 2 friends)

I don't want to go too off topic here.  We could split it out soon.  Might as well mention a couple of things about D3.  Yes I hear it is a big letdown for most.  I heard that the number of concurrent players since launch has dropped something like 90% with only a few thousand players playing at a time.

D3 for me is not a letdown.  To me Diablo is about grouping up with some friends and blasting the daylights out of a zillion demons.  D3 does this pretty well.  It's not even about loot for me so much, especially with the auction house.  It's too easy to get good gear there with some gold to spend.

The things I don't like about Diablo are a few. Difficulty spikes too insanely at times.  Elite and Champion monster packs on Inferno difficulty are some times just laughably hard.  I mean I saw 420 and Throbble rage quit....ya it can be that silly.

Best line ever? (I'll paraphrase it) 420: "WTF. I have 6000 armor and 800 resist all and I got one hit killed by a Fallen?"
Oh man I was rofl after that one.

The thing that bothers me the most about Diablo is that it has way more potential.  The areas should be 5 times bigger at least in the last stages.  There's no battling in Hell even? ewww I want to go to Hell and lay the smack down on Demons!  Lol instead the last areas are in Heaven heheh.  But they are too small. D3 needs big areas.  The content is too small. I'd laugh if someone told me this game was in development for more than 1 year.  Laugh I tell you. There's only one game that has less unique content than D3 and that's Dragon Age 2 (yes the worst CRPG ever made) so that's not saying much.  Did I post my review on DA2 on LM? I posted that one on Bioware's forums and needless to say I was ripping into them but good. heheh

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
So funny. Bioware just sent me a survey telling me they want my feedback to improve their games...lol

Anyone else get it?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
I'm just going to provide a little counterpoint and expand on some things, because there is a lot that the game does well.

GW2 is definitely very different from GW1, but that's because they made a definitive choice in the style of game they were making.  GW2 is much more like WOW in terms of MMORPG structure than GW1, so that's inherent.

Monster Respawns
I won't deny that they respawn fast, but unless I've actually stopped to do something, I've never really had a problem with monsters respawning on me.  Not until after I've finished a battle anyway.  Either way, there's really not much to be gained by clearing an area - killing monsters generally gives very little experience.  The bulk of your experience comes from completing tasks such as personal story chapters, events, renown hearts, etc.  Seriously, just entering an area you've never entered before will give you more experience than killing a monster.  Which is good, because the game rewards you more for engaging in the world rather than sitting there and mindlessly hacking away at spawn after spawn.

Events
This is actually two separate things, and I'm not sure where you're distinguishing them.  Renown Hearts are an area of the map that will have several tasks that need to be done to help the residents of the area.  Yes, these often have objectives such as "throw snowballs with so and so'children," "heard a bunch of dolyaks," etc, but the idea is that not everyone needs you to kill monsters to help them, especially in the really low level areas.  If you're helping a farmer, then watering her crops or feeding her cows actually will help her (those are, no joke, two of the options to help in the first renown heart you encounter as a human).  As you progress, then yes, a they do involve a lot more fighting off centaurs or undead, etc.  These probably form one of the larger sources of experience, because when you complete them, they give you a nice large chunk of experience, cash and karma as a reward.

The second thing is dynamic events, which are triggered events in the area, and yes, a lot of them do involve defeat x waves of y monsters, but they actually do give to the sense of immersion because the area won't necessarily be the same every time you pass through.  Although I will admit some of them occurred with a slightly silly degree of regularity during the beta, but I haven't seen as much of that since launch.  As for the foes that just appear - they have to appear somewhere, and they really can't spawn too far away from where the event is actually happening, so I don't really know what solution there is to this problem, if you view it as a problem (I personally don't really care).

Again, I've admitted the gfx can make it super chaotic, but it also doesn't take much to do that because a lot of the gfx have these large particle effects going off.  I just did a dungeon with only 5 of us (the limit on dungeon size actually), and the particle effects still got crazy.

Personal Story
Yeah, some of them are small, but I think they're much more pointed than GW1 missions.  There's a lot less "wander through the jungle until you reach this special target" because you don't enter the instance until you're pretty much at or near the special target.  They leave the random travelling out and get straight to the action.  I think this helps make the personal story more engaging, because when you're on your way to the next point, there are actual things to do (dynamic events, renown hearts, etc...) instead of just going through a maze long enough to justify a mission.  Again, Mo, the mobs have to spawn somewhere, unless of course, you're saying they're spawning right on top of you, instead of spawning some distance away and running in.  Spawning right on top of you is definitely lazy.  As for the difficulty, I'll admit, I prefer to stay a couple of levels ahead of my personal story.  Even with the scaling system, it makes worlds of difference, especially when you start accumulating traits, etc.

Control
First - they've already had some talk about bringing GW2 to a console (back in January or something), but they said it was not a priority before launch.  Other than that, this is really a personal preference thing.  Yeah, it was weird to get used to, but I don't really have a problem with the no click-to-move thing.  Occasionally the directionality thing will irritate me when I fizzle a skill because I faced the wrong direction when I cast it, but usually it's not a big deal.  Movement and positioning plays a much larger role in GW2, as I've elaborated on before.

Radar
Again, a personal preference thing.  Yeah, having a hud radar would be helpful, but I don't really feel hindered without it.  I just got used to it.  The map they do have, though, is super useful.  It points out every resource node, every way point, point of interest, vista, skill point, renown heart, and when they occur, dynamic events are pointed out on the map.  You can still draw and ping locations on the map too, so it is still useful, just not for finding monsters in your vicinity. 

Weapons
Yeah, the limited skills seems like a problem at first, but even after you unlock all of the weapon skills, it can take a while to really learn how to best synergize your weapon skills, slot skills, and profession specific abilities.  You won't even finish unlocking skill slots on your bar until you get your elite skill at level 30, and even then you'll probably have a lot of skills left to unlock for use.  Another thing you won't get to either until level 20 is traits, which can really adapt your character to a specific style of play and give additional benefits and effects.  My current traits allow me to apply more conditions faster to enemies and gives some nice passive buffs to my teammates.

(I'm tired and need to go to bed, but I certainly have more to say on dungeons and crafting at this point...yes, I've done crafting, and it's pretty neat.)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
Again, Mo, the mobs have to spawn somewhere.

Have them come through a door or something.  My point is, it doesn't take too much area and event design creativity to avoid having to "teleport" enemies into an area.  I guess playing DA2 really sensitized me to this issue.  It drives me bonkers :P

The dynamic events that I've seen do happen with very frequent regularity.  The Lion Guard are always storming the Son's Of Svanir etc.  The areas don't change.  I would like the idea more if the events were a little more involved.  Maybe they will get that way later on in the game.  I'm not passing any judgments here just my experience of things I like and don't like up to level 15 or so.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Guild Wars 2, D3 and others
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
I started playing GW2 yesterday and of course I started on the spanish server, what server are you guys on? so I can try guesting or whatever it was sometime
So far I'm lvl 9 human ranger and I'm liking it

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Mo and I are both on Isle of Janthir. I don't think they've turned on guesting yet, but I can't wait so I can play with my other guild too...Anyway, I'm a level 34 Guardian named Enelya Telrunya, and Mo's also got a guardian (what level are you now?) named Ribs Lightbringer.  What's your character name?

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
I am going to buy the game on Friday. :) So, wooha!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
Mo and I are both on Isle of Janthir. I don't think they've turned on guesting yet, but I can't wait so I can play with my other guild too...Anyway, I'm a level 34 Guardian named Enelya Telrunya, and Mo's also got a guardian (what level are you now?) named Ribs Lightbringer.  What's your character name?

I'm still level 15 or so. I got side tracked with Diablo hardcore mode this week. Will he back on shortly!

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
I was playing with my lvl 11 human hunter and I saw an asura guardian passing by with a greatsword looking all cool and i just fell in love with it, you know how much I loved midgets in nwn.
So Im lvling an asura guardian now :p, their animations are cooler with some attacks or maybe its just me xD
I had lvl 6 norn guardian aswell but deleted it to make it asura ^^

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
I'm still focusing on my guardian before moving onto another character...she's level 36 now.  I think when she gets into her 40s I'll start playing another character some.