Author Topic: Auction House Buyers Beware!  (Read 6011 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Auction House Buyers Beware!
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
Just tried to use the Auction House for the first time to bid on a pretty cool item. Accidently bid 2,500,000 gold instead of 250,000. No confirmation button and no way to immediately cancel it. So, I'm fucked.

In my opinion, fuck the auction house for anything other than selling off old items. Even then, only if you want little extra gold than you would get for selling it to a merchant.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:21:36 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Auction House Buyers Beware!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
I had used it several times without issue.

But they had talked about getting money involved and I was like... meh.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
Good thing real money isn't involved. Seems odd that there would be no way to cancel an accidental bid right after you make it like there is for putting an item up for bid. Makes no sense.

In the words of Charlie Sheen, "Duh, winning!"

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:21:53 PM by 420 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »
So, the auction house works a little differently than I thought, the amount you bid is the max you are willing to pay, not necessarily the amount that the item will sell for. That depends on how high others bid on it.

That said, I went to bed last night and the bid was at 400K gold with 9 hours to go. I figured, that's still way more than I want to pay but it's not too bad. Woke up this morning with an hour left and the bid was at 2.4M gold. Fuck me.

So, now I got this item, it's pretty good, but I'm going to try to sell it and get my gold back before I cut my loses and equip it on one of my casters.

Here is a pic:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
hmm well.  You must be able to set a max bid value so that you don't end up paying an indeterminate amount of gold for something.

I bought two items on the auction house.  I just used the "buyout" out amount to basically just buy it outright at the value the seller asked for.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
You can find some good deals if you do a search for the max you're willing to spend. It's easy to find stuff some people put as a really cheap buyout that others are asking ten times as much.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
You can find some good deals if you do a search for the max you're willing to spend. It's easy to find stuff some people put as a really cheap buyout that others are asking ten times as much.

That's pretty much what I did.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »
The item started at around 20K gold and was going for a little over 200K (no buyout) when I accidentally bid 2.5M on it instead of 250K.

The real problem stems from dealing with a large range of values (from tens of thousands to tens of millions) using an input field with no commas. That and the lack of any way to confirm or cancel a bid.

Frankly the most use I get from the Auction House is sorting through my stash items and comparing them to items in my characters' inventories since both the in-game character interface and the web based profiles lack any way to do this.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:48:20 AM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
So, the auction house works a little differently than I thought, the amount you bid is the max you are willing to pay, not necessarily the amount that the item will sell for. That depends on how high others bid on it.

That said, I went to bed last night and the bid was at 400K gold with 9 hours to go. I figured, that's still way more than I want to pay but it's not too bad. Woke up this morning with an hour left and the bid was at 2.4M gold. Fuck me.

So, now I got this item, it's pretty good, but I'm going to try to sell it and get my gold back before I cut my loses and equip it on one of my casters.

Here is a pic:

Wanted to reply to this after my experience last night.  I put a bid on a helm last night that had 3 hrs to go.  I was outbid pretty quickly then put in another bid max of 650k.  Woke up this morning and I won with a bid of 650k.

I bet the guy my both our cases was running up the bidding ever so slowly until he was pretty sure he was reaching our max.  Seems odd and especially in your case where it went all the way up to 2.5million (even though that amulet is pretty uber, maybe it is worth that much).

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
I've been using the auction house a lot recently (finally caving in to peer pressure from Mo and Cuchulann) to upgrade various equipment on all my characters. I've mostly stuck to searching for very specific parameters then just paying the buyout cost of whatever looks to be the best value. Got a lot of nice equipment for 2k-20k gold a piece.

Wanted to reply to this after my experience last night.  I put a bid on a helm last night that had 3 hrs to go.  I was outbid pretty quickly then put in another bid max of 650k.  Woke up this morning and I won with a bid of 650k.

I bet the guy my both our cases was running up the bidding ever so slowly until he was pretty sure he was reaching our max.  Seems odd and especially in your case where it went all the way up to 2.5million (even though that amulet is pretty uber, maybe it is worth that much).

It's interesting that you bring this up. While you can't bid on your own items, it was extremely easy for Throbblefoot to find the items I put up for bid. Seems likely that more than a few people use multiple accounts to artificially inflate the price of items they put up for auction.

I've lost most of the actual bidding auctions I've tried since I'm always outbid at the last minute. These items usually have an extremely low starting bid with a massive buyout cost. Makes me think that people are testing the waters to see what kind of offers they can get then buying their item back at the last minute to repost at a higher bid price.

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6360586/

Should put that item up for real money. Hell, any game you can make a lil off the side is worth it. Though that item you bought by accident would probably sell for up to $5 USD, but hey, that's a carton (12count) of Coke Zero so..I'LL TAKE IT! <3 soda pop
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.