Author Topic: Gothic  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gothic
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Anybody heard of it?

I seen a sale on GOG awhile back for Gothic and Gothic 2 maybe even the third one, can't recall for certain. (verified) Anyway, I then seen all three on sale as a bundle on Steam, and then seen 2 and 3 were added to Gamefly's instant PC play. This all happened around the same time and all sales were on at the same time. It piqued my curiosity so I looked at them and they actually looked pretty fun. At the time I had games prioritized and didn't feel like spending the money, but basically put a mental rain-check on it for later. I just got around to buying Gothic 1 on GOG late last week and it's actually pretty cool. It's an older game but despite ancient graphics it is able to hold my attention, which means a lot nowadays.

One thing about the first of the series that makes this one an unforgettable classic is it's control scheme. It's about the most retarded piece of shit anybody could have ever come up with for an RPG. But, despite this, and the severe learning curve, and everything being overpowered and you being a twig, it is a game worth playing... once you get used to it. I know after all that it doesn't sound very good, but it is actually quite fun once you get into it, it just requires a little patience in the beginning of the game, either that or godmode. Which, I won't hold it against anybody for using, I went some time without it and learned that, eventually I can get strong enough to actually stand a chance against things, but it's not worth it. Godmode activated. Suffice to say, the game isn't any less fun with it on than when it was off, probably more fun, actually.

Anyway, I can talk about it all day if I wanted to, but checking it out for yourself is really the only way to do it justice. Besides, I mainly wanted to know if anyone else has heard of or played any of the series.

On GOG:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:46:41 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Gothic
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
Heard yes.  Played no.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gothic
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:06:12 AM »
I played Gothic 2 and 3, though just a few hours each, theyre not bad but I didnt like them much.

In Gothic 3 the difficulty was highly unrealistic, in terms of you clean an entire cave of like 20 bandits by yourself then you go out and die in 2 hits... from a freaking boar!!.

In terms of gameplay its like a simplistic oblivion, and you can only use the game's default hero.