Author Topic: Changes to Magic Find in 1.0.3  (Read 7404 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Changes to Magic Find in 1.0.3
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »
Here are some notes from patch 1.0.3 that affect the Magic Find dynamic in one way or another:
  • Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses
  • Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain
  • Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time
  • Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Changes to Magic Find in 1.0.3
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
Sounds like a downgrade...

again.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »
Sounds like a downgrade...

again.
Unfortunately, Throbblefoot and I agree.

I believe that the reason for these changes is to prevent low level players from item farming in high level games with high level players. If that is the reasoning behind the changes then it's a lazy solution to a non-problem.

Also, it seems to go against Blizzard's past behavior where they made changes to Diablo 2 specifically to encouraging Magic Find based item farming. Examples include chests/breakables and champs being given much better drop rates and some early Act 1 Hell creatures getting their level boosted (ex Level 85 Devilkin in The Den of Evil, Act 1) to make farming earlier acts in Hell a viable option.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
Here is Blizzard's official response to the recent changes to Magic Find: Drop Rates increased but...

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun

Why does Blizzard get off telling people what fun is.  Let them play the way they want to play, it's obviously how they want to play the game.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »
Why does Blizzard get off telling people what fun is.  Let them play the way they want to play, it's obviously how they want to play the game.
Heh, yeah Blizzard's Community Manager (Lylirra) posted a couple things that probably should have been worded better.

Here is another gem from Lylirra:
Treasure Goblin farming is a another good example of this. For most, it was fun mostly because of the rate of loot reward...but, you weren't really fighting all that much, and because it was one of the most rewarding tactics out there, that meant a lot of players were driven to play that way, even if they didn't want to.
Most people find Treasure Goblin farming fun but don't want to play that way.

I'm sure that isn't what Lylirra meant but that's the way that statement comes across.

Also, I thought this post was hilarious (posted by Zero):
Why is there a treasure chest on the icon for a fortune shrine?

EDIT: More patch notes that may relate Magic Find:
  • The quality of the item for the fourth stack of Nephalem Valor from bosses has been slightly reduced
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:29:16 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »
lol

"people play that way even though they don't want to"

damn this person needs to be examined.  Obviously they want to play that way otherwise they wouldn't be playing that way.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
There's a reason I haven't played D3 in weeks.

I've been busy having fun.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
I can see a reason why they changed the features on breakables. There are a lot of those in the game and in relatively safe and easy to access  areas. This would make a very easy bot exploit. True the payoff would not be as large as the pindle bots had but after several hundred runs over the course of a day the sheer volume of numbers would yield a fair quantity of good items.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »
This was posted on Blizzard's site yesterday:

Since release it has become an increasingly common practice to keep a Magic Find (MF) set in your inventory, and swap it in shortly before a kill. Philosophically we don't have a problem with the practice. While players getting more Magic Find for their kills isn't a game breaker for us, many players have said they don't enjoy doing it but feel the benefit is too large to ignore. Since the call for a solution really comes from all of you, we'd like to invite you to chime in with your opinion on what the solution could be.

It's worth keeping in mind that if we do implement a method to alleviate gear-swapping in combat, we'll simultaneously be looking at ways for players to get an added MF bonus to compensate.

Followed by a list of possible options they are asking the community to pick from.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
Gear swapping. Obviously. ... not that I'll probably play D3 much... Kinda starting to feel like GTA IV
So many people loved it and I just can't figure out why.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »
Gear swapping. Obviously. ... not that I'll probably play D3 much... Kinda starting to feel like GTA IV
So many people loved it and I just can't figure out why.

I'll probably be in GW2 next month and mainly play that one.  But Diablo 3 is a fun mindless hack and slash to pass some time.  I hear that concurrent online players in D3 in North America has gone down from around 30,000 to around 1,600.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
See, I just take the philosophy that if you don't want to do it...then don't.  If you really want the magic find, then deal with it, otherwise, don't complain, and don't ruin it for the people who don't mind switching their gear to get their magic find.  I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a trade off anyway...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »
A quick swap is a really good idea though, it could be used for more than just having MF on a second set of equipment. And it changes almost nothing except that you can swap gear 1,000x quicker with the press of a button and allows for more tactical decisions throughout the game. It also allows you to hold more items in your inventory, if you chose to use it as storage, or simply opens up space wherever you used to store your second set of equipment, be it for a different set of tactics, or for MF.