Author Topic: The Black Rock Ledger  (Read 11923 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
The Black Rock Ledger
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
Throbble, Cuchulann, and I all found an item called "The Black Rock Ledger, Page #". Each of us got a different page so I thought people could post the quotes from any pages they find and I'll compile them. Just reply with the quote to this thread and I'll add it to this post.

The Black Rock Ledger

Page 4
''Damn, I always thought being a first mate would be more exciting. I guess I shouldn't expect much from a mining expedition. Ever since we set off from Kingsport, all I've done is sit out on deck and watch the deckhands argue.''

Page 8 (added 5/27/2012)
''Haven't been able to get much sleep these past few days. Apparently my sea legs aren't as sturdy as I thought they'd be. I've vomited more times than I can count, and every time Captain Hanso offers me some ale, I have to come up with some excuse to decline.''

Page 15 (added 5/29/2012)
''After three straight days of this storm, I'm almost convinced that this ship has some sort of curse on it. Each week brings some new trouble that I have to deal with. I'm not sure what will give out first, the ship... or me.''

Page 16 (added 5/29/2012)
''Reyes tells me that it was some colossal wave that did the ship in. I was down below when it happened. Several of us survived the wreck. The rest of them have gone off to try and figure out where the hell we are, as if any of that matters.''

Page 23 (added 5/25/2012)
''Madness, complete bloody madness. The captain has disappeared into the desert somewhere, and the rest of the survivors are convinced there's some sort of monster after us. I'm starting to think the crewmen that died in the wreck got the easy way out, lucky bastards.''

Page 42
''All the rest of them are dead now... I'm the only one left. Strange deformed creatures attacked the wreck, where most of us were sleeping. I managed to get away safely... but I don't imagine it will be that way for long. I can hear them... giggling in the shadows, like this is some kind of game.''

-First Mate McMahon
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:21:21 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: The Black Rock Ledger
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
I don't see a quote here :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
I don't see a quote here :P
Hmm, it was there yesterday when I posted it...

Fix your board Mo!

Luckily I'm keeping a separate text file so I can just copy/paste it again.

EDIT: Figured out the problem, putting " in a quotes tag fucks it up. Looking at possible solutions now.

EDIT EDIT: Using double ' instead, this board has suck options for BB code.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:11:07 AM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »
EDIT EDIT: Using double ' instead, this board has suck options for BB code.
ADVERTISEMENT: Switch your board to Invision Power Board today! Only a fuckton of money down and more out of pocket every 6 months thereafter!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
ADVERTISEMENT: Switch your board to Invision Power Board today! Only a fuckton of money down and more out of pocket every 6 months thereafter!

I'm quite happy here :)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
[Insert harsh words and a raised fist]

[Follow that with a fist through a wall, bloody knuckles, and the urge to urinate]

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »
[Insert harsh words and a raised fist]

[Follow that with a fist through a wall, bloody knuckles, and the urge to urinate]

Life is beautiful man.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Just added Page 23.

I found the page on a miner NPC that was digging near a shipwreck in the Stinging Winds area of Act 2. He makes a comment about stirring up demons if you touch the ship. Then demons pop up and he dies.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:08 AM »
Just added Page 23.

I found the page on a miner NPC that was digging near a shipwreck in the Stinging Winds area of Act 2. He makes a comment about stirring up demons if you touch the ship. Then demons pop up and he dies.

Poor bastard.  How does one increase difficulty level past Normal?  Also Hardcore mode, death is permanent.  What exactly does this mean?  If you die Blizz wipes your char?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
How does one increase difficulty level past Normal?
Works just like Diablo 2. Beat the game in Normal (complete Act 4) then that character can move on to Act 1 Nightmare. Beat NM to move on to Hell and Hell to Inferno.

Also Hardcore mode, death is permanent.  What exactly does this mean?  If you die Blizz wipes your char?
Your character becomes unplayable, all items are lost, you will have to manually wipe it, though it will stay in Blizzard's Hardcore Hall of Fame archive. (I'll post a link when I find it.)

D2 had an option that allowed someone in your party to loot your corpse when you died in hardcore but I don't think D3 has that option. Not sure if hardcore has a shared stash, if so, I expect that the items in your stash are saved if you die in HC.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
Works just like Diablo 2. Beat the game in Normal (complete Act 4) then that character can move on to Act 1 Nightmare. Beat NM to move on to Hell and Hell to Inferno.
Your character becomes unplayable, all items are lost, you will have to manually wipe it, though it will stay in Blizzard's Hardcore Hall of Fame archive. (I'll post a link when I find it.)

D2 had an option that allowed someone in your party to loot your corpse when you died in hardcore but I don't think D3 has that option. Not sure if hardcore has a shared stash, if so, I expect that the items in your stash are saved if you die in HC.

Cool thanks!

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »
page 8:
Haven't been able to get much sleep these past few days. Apparently my sea legs aren't as sturdy as I thought they'd be. I've vomited more times than I can count, and every time Captain Hanso offers me some ale, I have to come up with some excuse to decline.

guess you can't copy paste much text either.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:56:21 PM by cuchulann »
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »
page 8:
Haven
Don't rely on the "Preview" button. It does not work as advertised. Your actual post will look nothing like it does in the preview.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Poor bastard.  How does one increase difficulty level past Normal?  Also Hardcore mode, death is permanent.  What exactly does this mean?  If you die Blizz wipes your char?
I'm sorry about this, Mo, but it has to be done...
/facepalm

guess you can't copy paste much text either.
Don't rely on the "Preview" button. It does not work as advertised. Your actual post will look nothing like it does in the preview.

Are you guys having trouble with the board, or what's the deal? What are you trying to do that isn't working properly?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
Are you guys having trouble with the board, or what's the deal? What are you trying to do that isn't working properly?
For instance, Cuchulann writes a post and hits the "Preview" button and it looks like it should:

page 8:
Haven't been able to get much sleep these past few days. Apparently my sea legs aren't as sturdy as I thought they'd be. I've vomited more times than I can count, and every time Captain Hanso offers me some ale, I have to come up with some excuse to decline.

Then when he actually hits the "Post" button it looks like this:
page 8:
Haven

Because somewhere between the Preview and Post the board decides that a bunch of non-alphanumeric characters are invalid all of a sudden. (apostrophes, quotes, registered trademark symbol, etc.)

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
I actually did not use the preview button I just posted it. I thought it could handle a line of text with no quotation marks. Clearly I was mistaken. I had to type the entire line out for it to post correctly.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:19:08 PM »
Added Pages 15 & 16 (thanks Throbblefoot!)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:27:50 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »
Because somewhere between the Preview and Post the board decides that a bunch of non-alphanumeric characters are invalid all of a sudden. (apostrophes, quotes, registered trademark symbol, etc.)
I actually did not use the preview button I just posted it. I thought it could handle a line of text with no quotation marks. Clearly I was mistaken. I had to type the entire line out for it to post correctly.
I am not sure what could be going wrong, I attempted to reproduce your problem four times by copying text from wordpad and notepad into a post with and without formatting and produced perfect quotes.

I attempted once by changing to a font that would not be on this board or website by default, and then copying it and pasting it into the post window. The text reproduced itself successfully without the font style, of course. I also tried it with both using the preview button before hand and without, and also added punctuation in my texts in order to best reproduce the issue to no avail. I made these documents on my computer, typed into them myself, and saved the documents, and then closed and reopened them before attempting any of this.

If nothing else, notepad is about as basic as you can get (ANSI worked for me), if you're having trouble with that I can't imagine what's going wrong without seeing it occur and diagnosing it first-hand. The most I can suspect is some shape or form of formatting or font you might be using that treats these characters oddly, and the attempted reproduction failing as a result.

Here is a link to my test: http://lucidmagic.net/index.php/topic,3499.0.html

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »

Here is a link to my test: http://lucidmagic.net/index.php/topic,3499.0.html

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

EDIT: Seems to be working now anyway. No idea what the problem was before.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:21:45 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
Hmm, guess you can't see the trash can.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »

EDIT: Seems to be working now anyway. No idea what the problem was before.

Could have been some oddity with your browser at the time.  It will forever be a mystery!