Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Skyrim
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »
Skyrim anyone?  I've read some negative reviews about the PC port of it. 

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »
Got an obsessed buddy drooling over it. Says a lot of shit is different from previous Elder Scrolls, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Skyrim is on hold, I have Saints Row: The Third and Assassin's Creed: Revelations coming this week. After that, I'll probably be buying Skyrim, and Modern Warfare 3.

Currently playing Dynasty Warriors 7 while I wait. I am hoping that they release an empires edition for 7 sometime soon.

...Buddy also says dragon fights are awesome and difficult. Time will tell.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:47:22 AM »
Does he own it on PC?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Skyrim anyone?  I've read some negative reviews about the PC port of it.
Apparently there are already a bunch of mods that make the textures show in higher resolution on PCs. I guess the textures were lowered for consoles and Bethesda forgot to give PC gamers the option to adjust the quality.
The 10 best Skyrim mods so far - PCGamer

I've also read articles that say the PC interface is totally fucked up. Like the mouse works in some menus but isn't very accurate so you end up clicking on the wrong thing. And you shut menus down with Tab instead of Esc. (WTF?)

Also, the PS3 version is fucked due to some sort of increasing save file issue that was a problem with Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
So... Bethesda didn't anticipate this problem happening again?

From the reviews I read it seems that the game was optimized to run on the XBox 360. Guess Gates is a fan of the Elder Scrolls series.

I don't plan to get it of course because I fucking hate the Elder Scrolls series thanks to Daggerfall (worst RPG game ever) and frankly, I think Bethesda are a bunch of douche bags.

That said, I woke up this morning and checked my email to see the tracking info for my Saints Row: The Third order and it said it arrived! So, I threw on some clothes and ran downstairs and sure enough there it was sitting on the shelf above the mail boxes. I guess the mailman didn't want to wake me, but it was sort of like getting a present from Santa.

Right now it's doing some kind of heinous update, then I think I need to download my pre-order stuff.

I'm interested to hear reviews for Skyrim from you guys, I never trust the opinions of the big "game magazine sites" or whatever they call themselves.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
Critic reviews of Skyrim were mostly very good.  Except interface is almost unanimously hated.  User reviews of PC version were the ones that scared me.  Just hoping I don't buy a broken game, cause I've been burned too often lately with that problem.  Good to hear there are mods already.  I'm guess these mods work well with the Steam version?  Or will I not be able to use mods with the Steam version?

I'll probably install the game next week and will post my initial thoughts here soon.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
I have it on pc and have been playing for a few days, but kinda like in rage most players cant play with decent fps "right out the box", since game companies focus more on consoles these days, shadows are handled by the CPU (and yes they left it that way for PC version aswell), so people with killer gaming PCs got crap fps even on lowest settings. It has a workaround but it needs to be patched...

So far I get 30-40fps on highest settings, 1920x1080 with AA, AF and all that, but i think i should be getting more, to get that fps I have to set the TESV.exe affinity to only 2 cores and set the priority to "higher than normal" otherwise i get like 10-20 fps and it lags.

I have:
Windows 7 64bit
AMD quad core 9550
4GB RAM
Ati HD6950

Though ive seen posts of ppl with i7s and the lastest graphic cards on sli/crossfire having to use the same workaround till they decide to patch that weird shadows thing back to the graphic card. Like you can see my graphic card is brand new but my cpu is like 5 years old, though it still doesnt give me any problem in other games.

Besides that "little" problem the game looks good. Now you lvl faster and get some skill points per lvl to select perks and some other stuff. And yes the UI menus are kinda console based but they patched it to use the mouse more, but ive been playing with the 360 controller anyways.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:12:38 PM by Tyrael »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
I'm guess these mods work well with the Steam version?  Or will I not be able to use mods with the Steam version?
I don't see why those mods wouldn't work with the Steam version. Many of them are mods made for the Fallout 3/NV games and just updated for Skyrim. All the same engine but I'm unsure how different the "box" version is from the "Digital" version.

I have:
Windows 7 64bit
AMD quad core 9550
4GB RAM
Ati HD6950
From what I read, the engine they are using only recognizes 2GB of RAM max. So, there are some places where you will encounter lag that can't be avoided.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:58:56 PM by 420 »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
I read that too but from what i understood its just the .exe settings, using some program you have to open the exe and check a box that says "let the program use more than 2gb memory", that fixed crashes for some, a bit more performance for others, but didnt do anything noticeable for me.

So far is playing decently with no lags, i suppose they will have to release a second patch sooner or later b4 I'm into high lvls... unless they forget about PC users, that seems to be a problem lately, guess in the end ill just buy one of the new consoles and be done with it :o

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »
I've got it and love it. Plus, the animals and creatures freaking interact with each other! I've seen animals fight each other and then get attacked by other shit. Fucking awesome!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
I've got it and love it. Plus, the animals and creatures freaking interact with each other! I've seen animals fight each other and then get attacked by other shit. Fucking awesome!
Pfft, I can script that behavior in NWN...

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
It still wouldnt be pretty much the same :p.

I was attacking the entrance of a bandit camp with like 7+ bandits and after i killed just one, a dragon came out nowhere and kicked all their asses while I went to hide... then I killed the dragon obviously :o.

I saw a screenshot of a guy that got attacked by 2 dragons at same time while he was already fighting some other guys, seems like the dragon attacks are pretty ramdom.

I read somwhere that bethesda said that you can get attacked by up to like 5 dragons at ANY time while on open field and theyre not precisely easy to kill... at least at low lvl :o

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
It still wouldnt be pretty much the same :p.

I was attacking the entrance of a bandit camp with like 7+ bandits and after i killed just one, a dragon came out nowhere and kicked all their asses while I went to hide... then I killed the dragon obviously :o.

I saw a screenshot of a guy that got attacked by 2 dragons at same time while he was already fighting some other guys, seems like the dragon attacks are pretty ramdom.

I read somwhere that bethesda said that you can get attacked by up to like 5 dragons at ANY time while on open field and theyre not precisely easy to kill... at least at low lvl :o
And I can't script that behavior in NWN because...

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
I ddidn't say you couldnt script it, i meant it wouldnt be the same for the type of gameplay and the big graphic difference.

Seeing a dragon out of nowhere in nwn would never cause the same impact than seeing it on Skyrim :p

Though i still have hopes for a new neverwinter with Skyrim like graphics :o, since that new mmorpg now belong to a f2p company which just delayed it for another year and I bet it will just be anohter fiasco... if it ever comes out.