Author Topic: Working At Blizzard  (Read 9807 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Working At Blizzard
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
Diablo III is going to be so awesome.

The whole artisan thing sounds so bad ass.

Blizzard has had that little hiring message there for years now... and they're located in California, how come you don't work there yet? :P
Irvine California? You got to be kidding. It's a shit hole surrounded by shit holes encompassed by LA which is like a meta shit hole.

Northern California has been trying to split off from everything south of Monterey for decades. Stupid desert dwellers taking all our fresh water to put into their swimming pools.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:54:19 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Diablo III Info
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »
Irvine California? You got to be kidding. It's a shit hole surrounded by shit holes encompassed by LA which is like a meta shit hole.

Northern California has been trying to split off from everything south of Monterey for decades. Stupid desert dwellers taking all our fresh water to put into their swimming pools.

Don't know about you, but if I could get a job at Blizzard I'd be there in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to live in California. I'm comfortable in the sticks, but I'd give that up for a dream job. lol. No way I'd get a job there though, unless they need a janitor. :P

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
Diablo III Info
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »
lawl...Arena; Blizzard just can't drop that fucking piece of shit arena.

Also, Soul...you do not want to be working at Blizzard; trust me.

If you live under a rock...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick#Controversy
------
http://hothardware.com/News/Activision-Blizzard-CEO-Bobby-Kotick-Talks-Gaming-Hates-Happy-People/

-Specifically-
In Bobby's world, the best games are produced when every employee is in a constate state of fear, projects are always on the brink of being killed
------
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

-Specifically-
"We are very good at keeping people focused on the deep depression," he said.
------
In short, instead of making it a positive work place. He feels it's better to make you ulcer-bound from the stress of constantly being worried about being fired.

I think I'd rather work at McDonald's making minimum wage, where at least I'm 'told' I'm appreciated (even if I'm not); instead of treated like I could be replaced at the drop of the hat (and reminded of it every day).

-guess I'm just old fashion...
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Diablo III Info
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
lawl...Arena; Blizzard just can't drop that fucking piece of shit arena.

Also, Soul...you do not want to be working at Blizzard; trust me.

If you live under a rock...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick#Controversy
------
http://hothardware.com/News/Activision-Blizzard-CEO-Bobby-Kotick-Talks-Gaming-Hates-Happy-People/

-Specifically-------
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

-Specifically-------
In short, instead of making it a positive work place. He feels it's better to make you ulcer-bound from the stress of constantly being worried about being fired.

I think I'd rather work at McDonald's making minimum wage, where at least I'm 'told' I'm appreciated (even if I'm not); instead of treated like I could be replaced at the drop of the hat (and reminded of it every day).

-guess I'm just old fashion...
Enjoy your McDonalds, but even if I worked at Blizzard or any gaming company for as short as a week I'd take it. Go back to flippin' burgers when your done... that's one week of working in more comfortable, less physical conditions, full-time, benefits, and better wages. Maybe you can afford to live off minimum wage but I sure as hell can't. There's bills to pay, and my wife is disabled and can't work (doesn't collect SS either), so I'm the only source of income, and minimum wage don't cut it, if I could find a job as "comfortable" as that, compared to the shit available to me here, fuck yeah I would take it. I have a shitty boss + shitty job combo right now, a shitty boss + good job combo doesn't sound that bad right about now. There's plenty of "not fun" and "lack of appreciation" in what I do now, even if I went to something like that and it was "not fun" and I was "under appreciated"

So I guess my point is, I would "not be having fun" and being "under appreciated" for a hell of a lot more money (+benefits) than I get right now in worse conditions.
To be afraid and intimidated, is to allow yourself to be.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:47:40 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Diablo III Info
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:32 PM »
Enjoy your McDonalds, but even if I worked at Blizzard or any gaming company for as short as a week I'd take it. Go back to flippin' burgers when your done... that's one week of working in more comfortable, less physical conditions, full-time, benefits, and better wages. Maybe you can afford to live off minimum wage but I sure as hell can't. There's bills to pay, and my wife is disabled and can't work (doesn't collect SS either), so I'm the only source of income, and minimum wage don't cut it, if I could find a job as "comfortable" as that, compared to the shit available to me here, fuck yeah I would take it. I have a shitty boss + shitty job combo right now, a shitty boss + good job combo doesn't sound that bad right about now. There's plenty of "not fun" and "lack of appreciation" in what I do now, even if I went to something like that and it was "not fun" and I was "under appreciated"

So I guess my point is, I would "not be having fun" and being "under appreciated" for a hell of a lot more money (+benefits) than I get right now in worse conditions.
To be afraid and intimidated, is to allow yourself to be.

A friend of mine once game tested for EA. He said is was a good job for those who want to learn about software development, but working from 6 AM and catching the last bus across the GGB only to get a shot in at last call, every... single... day... No the paltry overtime on the paycheck was not worth it. If you have a decent job that is paying the bills right now then hold fast to it. If it's the food service, then run like monkey the first chance you get.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Diablo III Info
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:49:21 AM »
A friend of mine once game tested for EA. He said is was a good job for those who want to learn about software development, but working from 6 AM and catching the last bus across the GGB only to get a shot in at last call, every... single... day... No the paltry overtime on the paycheck was not worth it. If you have a decent job that is paying the bills right now then hold fast to it. If it's the food service, then run like monkey the first chance you get.
I have a shit job that is *barely* paying the bills and not at all paying the thousands in hospital debt I have. I've had a sinus infection for over 5 months, the docs here are clueless about everything, and my wife has auto-immune diseases; no insurance, no benefits, and social security has been fucking us around for four years now. My health has been slipping drastically over the last few years, and I know 'stress' is a commonly misused word, but I assure you it's a heavy contributor, because yes, I am in the food service and it's stressful as all hell. Doesn't help that I haven't had the best eating habits, and terrible sleeping habits. Workin' to change all that, I am; and made an awful lot of progress so far too. In the end though, my health is still going down the gutter. I am in the process of switching to factory work (yay... not. but still better n' this shit) I'll get full time, benefits, far better wages, but most importantly, a work schedule that can match my sleeping needs best. Easiest shift to get (nightshift), and my mother has been an employee of the company that owns the three major factories here, so I should have no trouble getting the job. I'd still take a desk job any day, especially one where I am interested in the work.

The good news is that my current nightmare is coming to an end and I am optimistic for the future. I also have plans for moving sometime next year which should yield some interesting and new opportunities. Like I said though I would definitely seize a job like that one.This city life you're mentioning is foreign to me. Buses... we dun got dem round' 'ere. :P School buses, sure, but not much else. I drive 10 miles across country to work every day. :P I know people who live 20 miles out of town.

I am "guaranteed" a job where I currently work. (I've been reminded about it a few times) So if nothing else works out I always got my current shitty gig to fall back on, whilst it may not be adequate financially, it is still more than nothing.

I would love to be a game tester for EA, or Blizzard, or any other for that matter. I know that type of job (game tester, etc.) has always had a lot of hype and exaggeration as to the actual work, but whatever, it beats the opportunities around here, trust me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:02:02 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
Re: Working At Blizzard
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:44 AM »
[jedi]

You want to work at Bioware, on Star Wars: The Old Republic

[/jedi]

I have it on good authority that the game is awesome [innocent whistling]

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diablo III Info
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
I've had a sinus infection for over 5 months, the docs here are clueless about everything, *snip*
Have you tried a Neti Pot? Throbble has a lot of allergies and gets bad sinus infections. She got one of these a couple months ago and now she swears by it. (Keeps trying to get me to do it.)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diablo III Info
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »
Have you tried a Neti Pot? Throbble has a lot of allergies and gets bad sinus infections. She got one of these a couple months ago and now she swears by it. (Keeps trying to get me to do it.)

lol, yeah I have one. Tried that, antihistamines, took Levaquin (antibiotics) for a month, steroids up the nose, decongestants, a billion home remedies, etc. etc. Damn Levaquin cost me over $700 without insurance and didn't do a damn thing. They were $22 a pill. Yeah, nothing has worked... sucks ass. I know others have sworn by the Neti Pot as well, but this infection simply refuses to be routed. I had never had a sinus infection in my life until this one, although I have had bad allergies this year (they cause my infection to flare up worse than usual), which may have a lot to do with the weather we've had here, normally I don't have too much of a problem during allergy season.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »
Sounds like your immune system is being compromised; probably due to stress.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
Sounds like your immune system is being compromised; probably due to stress.
Wouldn't doubt it. Good thing I should be getting a different job soon, hopefully. Hey, here's an idea, maybe Blizzard should hire me. :P

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »
Blizzard's a sinking ship :P

you want to work on SWTOR...

D:<

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
Blizzard's a sinking ship :P

you want to work on SWTOR...

D:<
I've never been a Star Wars fan. We should make our own company. Lucid Magic Inc. :P

We can make the most uber Sandbox RPG imaginable. :P

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 06:55:44 AM »
Godspire 2.0?

xD

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
Godspire 2.0?

xD
Yes! :D It will be it's own game. lol

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
I actually have a Mexican comrade that works for Blizzard. He's cool shit, says he likes the work, apart from how they push them (he's a tester) to meet quota's and shit when he is usually really thorough. But he says they still take the time needed to get the game done well before releasing it. He plays a shit ton of Starcraft and seems to desire marriage with it, also says he loves working on the "secret project" that he's testing, which I am guessing is Diablo III. lol He also gets to pick his hours, sounds fun to me.

I also told him about this Kotick guy... this is the first he's heard of him. Imagine that.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
I actually have a Mexican comrade that works for Blizzard. He's cool shit, says he likes the work, apart from how they push them (he's a tester) to meet quota's and shit when he is usually really thorough. But he says they still take the time needed to get the game done well before releasing it. He plays a shit ton of Starcraft and seems to desire marriage with it, also says he loves working on the "secret project" that he's testing, which I am guessing is Diablo III. lol He also gets to pick his hours, sounds fun to me.

I also told him about this Kotick guy... this is the first he's heard of him. Imagine that.

Nah, it's 'new' IP MMO they're making. It's not suppose to be from Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo universe.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
Nah, it's 'new' IP MMO they're making. It's not suppose to be from Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo universe.
Nope, he said it wasn't that. Besides, it would be too early for that. As far as he knows, it's too early to know anything with that.

Try again? lol

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »
Nope, he said it wasn't that. Besides, it would be too early for that. As far as he knows, it's too early to know anything with that.

Try again? lol

Well, that's what Blizzard said their "secret project" was. The project's name should be code-named Titan. So unless they got another secret project going on that they haven't announced...or has been leaked. Your friend was either referring to Diablo III, which is already well-known. So I wouldn't call that a "secret project" [anymore]. Or was referring to the Titan project.

More info:
http://wow.zuggaming.com/2008/10/10/blizzards-secret-project-announced-at-blizzcon/
http://kotaku.com/5816849/blizzards-secret-titan-project-labeled-a-new-casual-mmo

It would be nice if there was another secret project.....hopefully revolving around Starcraft....because....

A Starcraft: Ghost REBOOT WOULD BE FREAKING AWESOME!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
Well, he says he's been playing SC II like mad and is obsessed with it, yet he always seems to be available a lot when not working, so I am guessing it's at work that he's playing it. By secret project, he could have simply meant that he's not supposed to talk about it, not that it's not known.

He's actually like half Japanese or some shit and half Mexican, lol. And he lives in Canada.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 02:42:51 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo, I wonder if he meant the Diablo III expansions.

Blizzard already stated that D3 would be broken up like SC2 was. Now those expansions for D3 haven't been mentioned, afaik, so those would be secret. And since each expansion is suppose to be a "full game in itself" it could be classified as a 'project'. So....D3's expansions.....secret projects? :D

BTW:

Illutian's  (Ivon's) Predictions-

Warcraft 1 (Orcs & Humans)
Warcraft 2 (Tides of Darkness)
Warcraft 3 (Reign of Chaos)
->World of Warcraft
--
Starcraft 1
Starcraft 2
**Starcraft 3
**Starcraft MMO
--
Diablo 1
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
**Diablo MMO