Author Topic: Economy Issues Hitting Closer To Home Now...  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Economy Issues Hitting Closer To Home Now...
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »
The poor economy has basically affected everyone in some way or another for some time now, especially in the case of gas prices and even just the cost of food. I know I've been feeling it.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shutdown.html?type=fishing
This page is about the MN DNR.

I haven't gotten my fishing license yet and I am going camping tomorrow, coming back Tuesday and both my wife and I had planned to do some fishing. I just found out after my father informed me, so I have like 45 minutes to get them or I go without. lol.

Just took me by surprise, makes the terrible economy feel a little closer to home, if you know what I mean.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Economy Issues Hitting Closer To Home Now...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:08:25 AM »
Plunge on corn prices may ease food inflation

The price of corn suffered its biggest fall for 15 years on Thursday, prompting speculation that the high cost of food may start to ease.

Corn prices fell 10% after a US Department of Agriculture report said that farmers are sowing unexpectedly large amounts of the grain.

The price of other crops, including soybeans, also fell on speculation that future stock levels will remain high.

Corn prices recently hit a record, helping to fuel inflation worries.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty badass getting fresh fruits and veggies here, and a lot of the time cheaper too, if you're buying local. Yum yum. I just wish it was so easy to get cheap fresh produce year-round. You guys got oranges though... mmmm oranges.

It would be nice if everything started turning around and it did so soon, the whole thing sucked to begin with. To me, the bad economy feels like having only one type of cereal to eat, which is a nasty flavor, and no other food. With the way it keeps dragging on, that nasty cereal is beginning to turn stale and you can no longer stand eating it anymore. So what the fuck are people supposed to do?

I've noticed a lot of articles about people doing some extreme things in these hard times. Like one I read about a guy robbing a bank for 1 dollar just so he could get free medical care in jail. lol

I personally have thousands of dollars of hospital/dental debt so I know the feeling there. That was after my insurance fucked me, and it was through the state so getting back on it has been hell since they don't have any money.
Off topic: Doctors suck ass, btw, since most of my doctor bills are from hospital visits I got absolutely nothing out of. Or ones where my wife got nothing out of. The fuckers just keep saying they don't know what the problem is or what to do about it, half of the time they come to a conclusion right away with no testing, or they disappear and come back acting like they have all the answers (without testing). Which leads me to believe they go look shit up... I do that shit at home and find out what's wrong with me better than they do. I only ever go just because I want some way of treating it or I want to make sure it isn't something worse. Yet they never have a solution. Fuckers. lol mini-rant over.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my wife and I got fishing licenses online last night just in time. After 12 there was no way to buy them. So we're set, although I passed on the trout stamps we were going to get as I don't know how much fishing I will do and didn't feel like spending another 20 dollars just for trout. Fuck that shit. Just happy we got them in time. It's kind of fucked up though that they'll go and make it impossible to buy licenses and stamps, but yet, still enforce the laws pertaining to them. Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:58:11 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty badass getting fresh fruits and veggies here, and a lot of the time cheaper too, if you're buying local. Yum yum. I just wish it was so easy to get cheap fresh produce year-round. You guys got oranges though... mmmm oranges.

Actually we get all kinds of stuff year round thanks to the fact that the Salinas valley doesn't have any seasons except Spring and Summer. It's the nation's salad bowl. Next time you buy lettuce see if you see a name like Salinas, Gonzales, Castroville, Spreckles... 10 gets you 20 it came from somewhere in central California especially if it is mid winter. Or at least supposed to be mid winter.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:40:22 PM »
lol that's pretty sweet.

This shutdown is more than DNR. it's also affecting things like the license bureau, and powerball tickets, etc. Messed uo.