Author Topic: Dragon Age II: Demo  (Read 26343 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dragon Age II: Demo
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:57 AM »
I guess Bioware is trying to get 1 million people to download the Dragon Age II demo before March 1st, and if it is successful, two in-game items that will not otherwise be available will be unlocked for the entire community. Also, for playing and completing the demo you also get a unique weapon in the full game later on. I'm going to be doing it on my 360. I preordered the game so I'm anticipating it's release on March 8th.

Here's more information on the demo and the items.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dragon Age II: Demo
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
Yeah I saw that crap. What the hell is that. "We'll only unlock special content if you show us you love us." Fuck them.

On a related note the new Dragon Age II Gameplay Video is so fucking boring it makes me want to pour molten lava into my eyes and ears.

Did anyone even bother playing Dragon Age?

Also, what happened to all the blood in DA II?

Whatever, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Brink, and Diablo III are my next three games.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
Dragon Age was a good game. I liked it quite a bit actually. Wasn't phenomenal, but it was still an awesome game and I got my fun out of it.

Nothing compared to Mass Effect, of course.

I am downloading the Dragon Age 2 demo now, actually. I want my unlockables! I don't care too much about the books, but I want that weapon. =D

I should be getting at least 6 unlockables so far, just from preordering when I did and also from having their newsletter or some shit.

I guess there's other ones, too, from some facebook game and an arcade game I think. lol

420 wants them all.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
Did you see this one?

Unlock the Ring of Whispers

You have to buy $15 worth of something, I'm just not sure what.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
Dragon Age Origins was awesome.  Too bad it wasn't longer and too bad there was only one expansion.  I pre-ordered DA2 last month.  I'm not bothering with the demo, because like I said, I already pre-ordered the game.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
I'm playing the demo, pretty good game tbh. Makes me regret not playing the first one.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »
I'm playing the demo, pretty good game tbh. Makes me regret not playing the first one.

You didn't play the first one?! :O

What's the matter with you??? :P

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
Diablo III are my next three games.

Have fun with micro-transactions...fuck I hate Bob Kotick.

Also, they've probably broken the game up just like Starcraft 2; fuck no I'm not paying $120 (~$40 * 3 campaign x-pacs) for a full game.

I've become a real Blizzard hater this past year, freaking bullshit what they've done to their titles...
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »
You didn't play the first one?! :O

What's the matter with you??? :P

Just never got it. :/ But I'm totally getting Skyrim on the day its released! Shit looks sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbmBYT8Dwf4&hd=1

Just bought Oblivion for PC to replay it lol. Anyone have Steam on here?
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
Have fun with micro-transactions...fuck I hate Bob Kotick.

Also, they've probably broken the game up just like Starcraft 2; fuck no I'm not paying $120 (~$40 * 3 campaign x-pacs) for a full game.

I've become a real Blizzard hater this past year, freaking bullshit what they've done to their titles...
I'm confused, SC2 has no expansions (yet), SC1 had one, D2 had one, D1 had one. And those expansions were all roughly half the price of the original game. Once again, you lost me Khad.

EDIT: Oh and can you give me a rough estimate of how much you have spent on WoW with the price of the game, expansions, and monthly subscription?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:02:41 AM by 420 »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
EDIT: Oh and can you give me a rough estimate of how much you have spent on WoW with the price of the game, expansions, and monthly subscription?
Burn!

That's *way* more than I lost on Hellgate London!

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:25:16 AM »
My sister played the first dragon age and I got a look at it. Like Fallout 3 its better to wait for all the extra dlc to made available in a bigger package for less money since it's single player. I still have not played the first let alone bought it. Don't think i will now except from a discount bin since I've been told about all the cool parts of the game. Though I have to give props to Bioware for not handing over the sequel to Obsidian.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »

Guess you've only recently noticed that Blizzard is all about milking their franchises.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
Anyone on Epileptic Gaming? what's the deal?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:10:36 PM by Meclar »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
Guess you've only recently noticed that Blizzard is all about milking their franchises.

Oh I've always known a company is in it for the money. But when, at the last minute, you take the COMPLETE Starcraft 2 game and break it into 3 completely separate parts; that still require the first campaign....ya...F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. is all I have to say.

And it's not really Blizzard doing it; SC2 was fine until Bob Kotick decided it was better to sell a $40 game for $120. If anyone needs to get hit by a Shock Bus it's him...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
Also, what happened to all the blood in DA II?
What 'lack of blood' are you referring to exactly? Every blood all over everything in DA II, same as DA:O. I played the demo and in the options there's still a checkbox for persistent gore, allowing blood to remain spattered on things for some time. There's plenty of blood splattering to be had.

On the note of TES V... I am also highly anticipating this release.

I'm also excited about Koei's new Dynasty Warriors 7. They must have listened to their customers because a lot of the mistakes they made in 6 have been undone in 7. They also brought back some characters I'm excited about as well as introduced some new ones. Can't wait to see what it will be like. Admittedly disappointed about Lu Bu's new appearance, though.

@Mo Back to Dragon Age II, on the note of not playing the demo, I think you should. I agree with you, I'm not much of a demo player myself, and wouldn't have bothered if it weren't for the weapon, but I found it to be worth it. The demo is free and it was super short, only lasting about an hour and that was with me not constantly playing it. Then I get the weapon out of beating it while logged in. I guess if you don't care about the weapon and don't feel like waiting for the download (only about 2 gb) I can see it.

I did get a little insight by playing the demo though. They changed both their dialogue and menu (the screen with all the codex entries, journal, inventory, etc.) screens to be just like those from Mass Effect. I am not sure how I feel about it though. I definitely like the new dialogue menu improvements better than before. Mass Effect had an excellent dialogue menu. However, I liked how the first dragon age had a unique menu screen. Don't get me wrong, I like the Menu Screen in Mass Effect and all, but I feel that it's too similar. I liked it having it's own unique menu better, even if this one is good. Just my opinion.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
What 'lack of blood' are you referring to exactly? Every blood all over everything in DA II, same as DA:O. I played the demo and in the options there's still a checkbox for persistent gore, allowing blood to remain spattered on things for some time. There's plenty of blood splattering to be had.
Maybe it was the gameplay videos that were released but, while there was a lot of blood from defeated enemies (when they died) I didn't see any blood splatter on the PCs. Maybe it was just a setting that wasn't enabled in the gameplay footage as you suggest.

Oh I've always known a company is in it for the money. But when, at the last minute, you take the COMPLETE Starcraft 2 game and break it into 3 completely separate parts; that still require the first campaign....ya...F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. is all I have to say.

And it's not really Blizzard doing it; SC2 was fine until Bob Kotick decided it was better to sell a $40 game for $120. If anyone needs to get hit by a Shock Bus it's him...
Again, I must stress that the original StarCraft game wasn't "complete" without the Brood Wars expansion. And even with the expansion the storyline was left wide open. It doesn't surprise me that Blizzard is trying to milk the storyline for all its worth. SC2 isn't an incomplete game, it is a game designed to have expansions, like WoW. That is Blizzard's business model and it seems to be working for them.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 06:15:36 AM »
Only reason I say SC2 is incomplete is because SC1 you got all 3 faction campaigns, now you got to purchase each faction's campaign.

As for DA2 seems to be a bit of a mixed review, half say it's better than DA; other half say it's been "commercialized" (aka dumbed down). In the end if it doesn't have multiplayer I really don't care how great it is :P

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
In the end if it doesn't have multiplayer I really don't care how great it is :P
That's funny. Multiplayer is the only thing I *don't* care about. Actually, I would rather not have any multiplayer so they focus on making single player that much better.

But I don't see any multiplayer in DA 2, it's an rpg, not an mmorpg. So I doubt there will be.

I forgot to mention that combat changed a little as well. Now you press a button (or key) to attack. Kind of like hack n' slash, except you don't have a secondary attack and there's no combos. You still use whatever powers you possess through the radial menu or through the six hotkeys.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
That's funny. Multiplayer is the only thing I *don't* care about. Actually, I would rather not have any multiplayer so they focus on making single player that much better.

But I don't see any multiplayer in DA 2, it's an rpg, not an mmorpg. So I doubt there will be.
I see all these games coming out with special content if you preorder through specific stores. What the fuck is the point if it is only a single player game? Just to make the game easier to beat? I admit I preordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution from Best Buy just so I get access to a special sniper rifle and I also preordered Fallout: New Vegas for the unique grenade rifle (which isn't recognized by ANY of the explosive perks btw. WTF?!). But those were rare exceptions.

However, I just preordered 2 copies of Brink, so Throbblefoot and I will be playing a multiplayer FPS objective based team game with special Fallout 3 gear/tattoos!

Brink Preorder Packages

Keep in mind that both Throbblefoot and I have been playing Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars since they came out so you can join us or die!

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 12:03:30 AM »
Now I remember why I always jumped when Throbble showed up....she scurz mah.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
I see all these games coming out with special content if you preorder through specific stores. What the fuck is the point if it is only a single player game? Just to make the game easier to beat? I admit I preordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution from Best Buy just so I get access to a special sniper rifle and I also preordered Fallout: New Vegas for the unique grenade rifle (which isn't recognized by ANY of the explosive perks btw. WTF?!). But those were rare exceptions.
You could easily say the same for multiplayer items:
"What the fuck is the point if it is a multiplayer game? Just to make other players easier to beat?"
Unless the item is purely cosmetic (eye candy), it's generally always to make something easier to beat. Whether it be another player or the game itself, it just depends on what the person cares more about. Some people don't care for competition, other people love it.

However, in my experience, in most multiplayer games the special content isn't made to give you much, or any, advantage over other players. Which in my opinion makes an item rather useless unless it's for cosmetic purposes.
If it is simply for cosmetic purposes, whether it be to impress other players or just because you personally enjoy it, it generally only serves to please the eye. The only difference in a single player cosmetic item versus a multiplayer cosmetic item is the inability to impress other players with the item. Although there are some rarer cases that you are still able to (Example: In Dragon Age you can show off your characters online to other people/players which also shows off many of your items). Generally however, unless an item is purely for cosmetics, you often gain some degree of advantage or at the very least a head start in a single player game. That is most likely because of there being no competition and therefore no worries of creating an unfair advantage between one player and another. There are exceptions though, some multiplayer games do have special content that does give you a considerable advantage, but in my experience those are few and far between. From what I've seen in the past many special multiplayer items that have some advantage typically only have a slight advantage and the rest is cosmetic, and often these items are soon outdone by better "stock" multiplayer items that you get after a rank up or some form of promotion.

Most of the multiplayer games that I have run across that have multiple special items with considerable advantages typically use those special items as a method to make more money. Remember GunZ? It's an excellent example of this. Ijji runs a North American version of GunZ which is free to play, but they have various items that will give you an advantage over other players, most of them temporary, which can add up to quite a bit of money if you were to use them frequently, well over the cost that buying the game would have been were there box copies initially available for sale.

I like some multiplayer and competition once in awhile, but in all honesty I'm more of a single player kind of guy and I like to play casually. I don't like all that fast-paced constant-action hyper-tension eyes-popping-out-of-the-head shit all the time. Once in awhile, sure, but I don't get worked up over games all that often and I don't typically like to. I prefer to be relaxed and casual, and that's just me I guess, but I would definitely take single player special content over multiplayer special content generally all of the time, and especially cosmetic stuff. Just my opinion.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 02:19:14 AM »
when Throbble showed up....she scurz mah.
And now you fear my awesome FPS style!

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »
Frames Per Second??? o.O

:p

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
Frames Per Second??? o.O

:p
No silly: Fake Poop Shooter. Duh.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 01:29:47 AM »
It is the 8th! Woohoo! Now I just gotta wait for them to ship it since I ordered it online. :(
Newegg, yes!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
It is the 8th! Woohoo! Now I just gotta wait for them to ship it since I ordered it online. :(
Newegg, yes!

lol why are you still living in the stone age of physical media?? I pre-loaded my digital download last night :):)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
lol why are you still living in the stone age of physical media?? I pre-loaded my digital download last night :):)
Hilarious!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
Uhh, 360 dude. I didn't buy the PC version for the first one, so I decided not to for the sequel.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
Uhh, 360 dude. I didn't buy the PC version for the first one, so I decided not to for the sequel.

Uhh...360 version over PC version? Lucky for you I work at a hospital so I'm sure I'll find a good head doctor to recommend for you :)