Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 16819 times)

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
Rift: Planes of Telara
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
Fess up, which one ya'll scrubs are gonna be playin it? :P'

EDIT: btw, this is Khadgar  qq, no one gonna remember meeee :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:04:46 PM by Ivon »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rift: Planes of Telara
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »
What server you playing WoW on? And I might play it. :P
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
I didn't know anything about this game until just a few days ago. I was on a game site and saw an add for something called "Rift" that proclaimed, "You aren't in Azeroth anymore." So, of course, I thought that Blizzard was producing a new title because who in the fuck would be stupid enough to mention another company's game, much less the most popular MMO of all time, in an advertisement for their own game. After finding nothing about Rift on Blizzard's sight I decided to search google and found that some newb company called "Trion Worlds" (yeah keep "trion" until you come up with a better name for you company).

In the end, I decided that any company that hired retards for their marketing department probably also hired retards for their product developers and programmers. So, I'm going to have to pass on this game but let me know how you like it.

Next game I'm looking at is Deus Ex: Human Revolution, supposed to be out at the end of February.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
I think the ad fits perfectly. Finished Beta 4 of Rift and can say that it is definitely polished...still needs a layer of wax. But it's ready for the March 1st release date.

The soul system (aka classes) is an interesting design. Pick the major class (Cleric, Warrior, Rogue, or Mage) and from there pick 3 sub classes (souls). Like for Warrior there's Riftblade, Reaver, Champion, Paladin, Warlord, Void Knight (class still being added to the website) and Paragon. Each soul has strengths and weaknesses.

For example:

The paladin has great melee defense (+block talent, +armor talent) but sucks verse magic.

The Void Knight has strong abilities against magic (mana drain talent, etc)

The Warlord has talents that upon being hit will reduce the targets physical damage, as well as, +armor talents

Couple a Paladin/Void/Warlord together and you get a pretty awesome tank

So, Rift is sort of like WoW (pre-Battlegrounds), Neverwinter Nights, and Final Fantasy (Random Encounters) all rolled into one game. In fact, the only thing going against this game is that people are still getting that "It's a WoW Killer"-mentality, which as we've seen leads to games failing because they didn't meet the expectations of the players right out of the box; WoW wasn't polished and 11million subs strong as release people!

Only issue that's really present in the game right now is the lack of AA, but I don't know about you but I'd rather have the game stable than have smooth edges at release. After reading some posts this may be purposely disabled during beta and activated upon release

As for the ad. I think it's nice to see a company actually poking fun of WoW directly. I don't recall AoC, Warhammer, STO, or LoTRO mentioning anything WoW-related in their ads. It's like they all tried to say "we're not like 'that game' ", but in the end tried to do everything to make themselves like it.

In regards to the company name...eh, I've seen worse *cough*Funcom*cough*. And just looking up "Trion" yields a lot of results; wonder if the name means something to the people at "Trion Worlds". Oh well, can't judge a game by the company's name :P

*PS: Try for the beta, there's suppose to be one starting January 22nd. There's also the last one sometime in February

@Mercy...what does my WoW server have to do with Rift?? O.o
If you must know I play on Arthas...and by play I mean login check AH guild chat for 20min then log....1 month into Cataclysm and I'm already bored; gg Blizzard, gg

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
I meant I might play Rift, just bad text placement. :P And then, what server did you play on haha.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:23:37 AM »
I meant I might play Rift, just bad text placement. :P And then, what server did you play on haha.

Um...well...I uh...don't exactly remember...I think it was Briar<something>

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Hey Khad,

Good to see you.  It's fine to mention WoW in an ad.  Everyone and their grand mother already know what WoW is, there's no escaping the big elephant in the room so might as well point and laugh at it.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
Hey Khad,

Good to see you.  It's fine to mention WoW in an ad.  Everyone and their grand mother already know what WoW is, there's no escaping the big elephant in the room so might as well point and laugh at it.
As a Business Marketing major I was taught that it was never a good idea to mention a competitor's product in your ad. If you think about ad space or air time in terms of money then any space/time used to mention another company's product is money your company is paying to advertise a competitor.

A great example of this is a Prego commercial that came out a couple years back where they show a mason jar of Classico spaghetti sauce in a sauce pan then a bubbling pan full of sauce and they say "Why buy sauce in a jar when you ca have real sauce." then at the vary end they show their jar (exact same type of jar btw) of sauce for about half the time they showed their competition. In essence they payed to advertise their competition.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
As a Business Marketing major I was taught that it was never a good idea to mention a competitor's product in your ad. If you think about ad space or air time in terms of money then any space/time used to mention another company's product is money your company is paying to advertise a competitor.

A great example of this is a Prego commercial that came out a couple years back where they show a mason jar of Classico spaghetti sauce in a sauce pan then a bubbling pan full of sauce and they say "Why buy sauce in a jar when you ca have real sauce." then at the vary end they show their jar (exact same type of jar btw) of sauce for about half the time they showed their competition. In essence they payed to advertise their competition.

If it's bad marketing then why does most everyone do it? Either directly (the actual object you buy at the store) or indirectly (nameless object with the look of the actual item).

And, yay! the crazy monk (cleric/something else) is remembered

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
If it's bad marketing then why does most everyone do it? Either directly (the actual object you buy at the store) or indirectly (nameless object with the look of the actual item).
The short answer is that most people are fucking stupid.

There are workarounds to the problem however. For instance, you could use some sort of visual comparison chart (like a bar graph) listing multiple competitors next to your product (as opposed to using a single competitor's product). That way you can offer a comparison while giving equal time to your product along with all potential competitors. Or, the way I prefer, is to use a more generic comparison like: "More value than the leading brand!" That way you leave it up to the customer to decide what they consider the "leading brand" to be.

It may sound kind of insidious but it's what I'm good at.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
The short answer is that most people are fucking stupid.

There are workarounds to the problem however. For instance, you could use some sort of visual comparison chart (like a bar graph) listing multiple competitors next to your product (as opposed to using a single competitor's product). That way you can offer a comparison while giving equal time to your product along with all potential competitors. Or, the way I prefer, is to use a more generic comparison like: "More value than the leading brand!" That way you leave it up to the customer to decide what they consider the "leading brand" to be.

It may sound kind of insidious but it's what I'm good at.

sadly, it doesn't work on me; I watch TV for 2hrs on Saturday (technically Sunday) and then the TV sits there the rest of the time :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
sadly, it doesn't work on me; I watch TV for 2hrs on Saturday (technically Sunday) and then the TV sits there the rest of the time :P
Interestingly, people who are less exposed to ads are more susceptible to them because they haven't built up a tolerance.

Also, ads don't just come from TV, they are all around you: billboards, radio, impulse items (ie pretty boxes full of crap at the checkout counter), flyers, fast food containers, coasters, band aids, etc. Be aware of this shit because any time you aren't, it's going straight into your subconscious and then I make a buck!

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »
Interestingly, people who are less exposed to ads are more susceptible to them because they haven't built up a tolerance.

Also, ads don't just come from TV, they are all around you: billboards, radio, impulse items (ie pretty boxes full of crap at the checkout counter), flyers, fast food containers, coasters, band aids, etc. Be aware of this shit because any time you aren't, it's going straight into your subconscious and then I make a buck!

I suffer from a severe lack of caring for anything that doesn't directly benefit me. Besides, I love TV ads...~45seconds to grab some food or take a leak :D

PS: 6 days till Beta 5; canna wait!

PPS: Bot lose in the Guest Topic!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:10:59 AM by Ivon »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

Sorry but I can destroy this argument quite easily.  The "I'm a Mac" mention Microsoft products over and over and those commercials were resounding success.  Apple is trying to get people away from Vista just like this new game is trying to get people away from WoW.  They are already Vista/WoW users so there's no reason not to mention Vista/WoW.   

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
Sorry but I can destroy this argument quite easily.  The "I'm a Mac" mention Microsoft products over and over and those commercials were resounding success.  Apple is trying to get people away from Vista just like this new game is trying to get people away from WoW.  They are already Vista/WoW users so there's no reason not to mention Vista/WoW.   
But they don't actually use the word Microsoft in their adds. They use the more generic term "I'm a PC." While the ads are comparing operating systems they only refer to the hardware platforms. Which is kind of silly since the Mac OS now runs on PCs.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »
But they don't actually use the word Microsoft in their adds. They use the more generic term "I'm a PC." While the ads are comparing operating systems they only refer to the hardware platforms. Which is kind of silly since the Mac OS now runs on PCs.

I'm pretty sure they mention Vista by name..Someone will have to check me on that though.  If they don't then fine, you're right but PC is pretty darn close to saying Windows.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure they mention Vista by name..Someone will have to check me on that though.  If they don't then fine, you're right but PC is pretty darn close to saying Windows.
I agree. What I was taught was to always try to use a more generic term when you wanted to compare yourself to the competition. This way you avoid mentioning specific competitor names and you are less likely to be hit with a liable suit.

Of course, this advertising standard was established long before the internet existed so there could be a shift in the way that information is disseminated that makes it more effective to use specific product names. I'll see if I can drum up a discussion about it in my next advertising class.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 05:14:15 AM »
FYI: Got a VIP Beta Key good for 25 uses. So, if anyone wants to try it out lemme know (don't want to post it on a public thread).

I've rolled on the server Briarcliff (PvP); Deviant Side

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
I'm in this current beta Khad(Ivon:P).  I will be rolling on Briarcliff, Deviant. :P

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
nice, Singularity decided to switch to Guardian though for release :(

so...now I gotta roll dwarf; least retarded/Na'vi-looking race Guardian-side :P

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
Alright. Well, I rolled a char on both sides. :P

Guardian character is Eldingar and my Deviant character is Snikmordir. :P

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
I'm playing on Argent server

Guardian: Celabren

Rift fucking owns!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »
I'm playing on Argent server

Guardian: Celabren

Rift fucking owns!

Holy crap! Razor!

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
You just don't post on here often. :D

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »
You just don't post on here often. :D

I know i've been away but now i'm back!!!

PHEAR ME!!!

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
Who are you again? :P

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »
Who are you again? :P

The most awesome guy this forum ever knew, and the most awesome guy who walked trough the halls of Godspire, hell yeah!

now who the fuck are you?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »
The most awesome guy this forum ever knew, and the most awesome guy who walked trough the halls of Godspire, hell yeah!

now who the fuck are you?
< I already stole resident awesome.

It's Khadgar.