Author Topic: NWN Available on Good Old Games.  (Read 19345 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
NWN Available on Good Old Games.
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
Good Old Games now has NWN Diamond Edition for $9.99.

NWN Diamond on GOG

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NWN Available on Good Old Games.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
My wife recently sold her Diamond copy of NWN on eBay, and bought a Platinum version instead. Now we both have the Platinum version, the only difference is that hers didn't come with the case and mine is the original so it's on four CD's rather than one DVD like hers is. She's happier with Platinum edition she said because she got the awesome little manual that comes with it. Diamond edition pisses me off because it's the same thing as the Platinum edition except that instead of coming with a badass manual you get it with three premium modules which are all short and unfinished.

It wouldn't be so bad if the premium modules were all longer and completed. It wouldn't hurt to have a manual with it either, even if it was just a simple one. I think they just got cheap in the end.

That's cool that they have it now though. I suppose it's for download only? In that case a manual is pretty irrelevant. :P

I actually played a little bit recently, hoping to try a relatively new series of mods that seemed popular, but they aren't that great so far. I got bored quickly.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
Cool.  I totally forgot about GOG.  I never played Planescape or Icewind Dale.  I think I'll buy Planescape: Torment.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
I think I'll buy Planescape: Torment.
Hands down, the best game ever made in my opinion.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »
My wife recently sold her Diamond copy of NWN on eBay, and bought a Platinum version instead. Now we both have the Platinum version, the only difference is that hers didn't come with the case and mine is the original so it's on four CD's rather than one DVD like hers is. She's happier with Platinum edition she said because she got the awesome little manual that comes with it. Diamond edition pisses me off because it's the same thing as the Platinum edition except that instead of coming with a badass manual you get it with three premium modules which are all short and unfinished.

It wouldn't be so bad if the premium modules were all longer and completed. It wouldn't hurt to have a manual with it either, even if it was just a simple one. I think they just got cheap in the end.

That's cool that they have it now though. I suppose it's for download only? In that case a manual is pretty irrelevant. :P

I actually played a little bit recently, hoping to try a relatively new series of mods that seemed popular, but they aren't that great so far. I got bored quickly.

There are manuals that come with the game digitally. Check your nwn folder. :P
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 01:49:38 AM »

Why's that?

There are manuals that come with the game digitally. Check your nwn folder. :P
I'm comparing value. Those premium modules are unfinished and worthless.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
Why's that?
I'm comparing value. Those premium modules are unfinished and worthless.

I understand that, but you were saying about how there were no manuals. I was just saying there is a pdf manual for NWN, SoU and HotU.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

That seems to be a pretty popular opinion.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
Why's that?
Well, in addition to having some of the best voice acting and music, it's got to be the most unique setting for a RPG. Because it takes place in the Outlands, your PC's beliefs actually alter reality. Also, some of the coolest spell VFX, comparable with FF7. For instance, check out the Mechanus Cannon spell.

In addition, the storyline is very compelling. You start out as an immortal amnesiac who wakes up in a morgue staffed by zombies. There is a message tattooed on your back telling you to find your journal. From there you learn that your mortality was "removed" at your request by a night hag named Ravel Puzzlewell, the most evil and powerful night hag that ever existed.

Like any good RPG there are tons of side quests, your character can actually change classes (fighter/wizard/thief) and all of the companions you pick up have in-depth back stories that you can unlock through conversation and get xp or new spells or other cool shit. Also, like KotOR, the decisions you make throughout the game change your alignment and there are multiple endings based on your alignment and how you decide to handle the final confrontation.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
I understand that, but you were saying about how there were no manuals. I was just saying there is a pdf manual for NWN, SoU and HotU.
I meant a physical manual.

Well, in addition to having some of the best voice acting and music, it's got to be the most unique setting for a RPG. Because it takes place in the Outlands, your PC's beliefs actually alter reality. Also, some of the coolest spell VFX, comparable with FF7. For instance, check out the Mechanus Cannon spell.

In addition, the storyline is very compelling. You start out as an immortal amnesiac who wakes up in a morgue staffed by zombies. There is a message tattooed on your back telling you to find your journal. From there you learn that your mortality was "removed" at your request by a night hag named Ravel Puzzlewell, the most evil and powerful night hag that ever existed.

Like any good RPG there are tons of side quests, your character can actually change classes (fighter/wizard/thief) and all of the companions you pick up have in-depth back stories that you can unlock through conversation and get xp or new spells or other cool shit. Also, like KotOR, the decisions you make throughout the game change your alignment and there are multiple endings based on your alignment and how you decide to handle the final confrontation.

That's all I needed to know. I just bought it, downloading it now. ( I skipped the storyline part of your explanation, just in case. ;) )

That seems to be a pretty popular opinion.
Did you buy it? My wife wants Icewind Dale. lol.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
420 never disappoints.  Gonna check this out.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
Ooo, I should mention that a high intelligence, wisdom and charisma is required to unlock certain dialog options. If you make a big dumb fighter you'll miss out on a lot of the story.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
Guess Ill have to get back into it. I never got very far in Torment. The cutscenes tend to make vista crash. Damn half assed OS.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 02:25:25 AM »
Ooo, I should mention that a high intelligence, wisdom and charisma is required to unlock certain dialog options. If you make a big dumb fighter you'll miss out on a lot of the story.

I noticed that, I gave myself well-rounded stats with a slightly higher int and str. Though, now that I realize much conflict can be avoided throughout the game with words alone, I wished I would have put a little more into wisdom. Oh, well, as I level I guess.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »
Gonna buy it this weekend.

Too bad I wasted money on Civ5.  Firaxis amazingly beat Flagship and Obsidian for releasing the buggiest game of all time.  I can't play 2 minutes without the game crashing.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
Gonna buy it this weekend.

Too bad I wasted money on Civ5.  Firaxis amazingly beat Flagship and Obsidian for releasing the buggiest game of all time.  I can't play 2 minutes without the game crashing.
It may work better under different conditions, (I'm not suggesting that it's not the games fault) maybe try it on a separate HDD with XP on it? (assuming you have one or are able to easily set one up with it) I didn't want to suggest Vista, so I suggested XP. Although there is very likely many other factors that play into it, that may be one of the easier ones to try out. (unless you have other machines with the right specs at the ready) :P

Or does the problem run deeper than simply crashing? (meaning it's buggy as hell, even when it is working?)

I glanced at Civ 5 as well while browsing Newegg the other day, but when I seen that it was $50 I looked away immediately. Besides, even if it was less than $20 I probably would have considered it for a whole 30 seconds before deciding it was a waste of cash. The civ games have never been able to hold my attention for very long. I quickly get bored and move on. Normally I can't finish a single game before getting bored.

Planescape: Torment kept me up last night. :P I'm restricted to only certain PC games right now because I got tendonitis in my left wrist about a week and a half ago and even though it's almost completely healed, it's not quite there yet. The place it's in shows me that it's caused from work and not games, but nonetheless, even with the little strain on my wrist a controller can cause, it's better if I leave it rest until it's healed. :( But it's almost better anyway, so I'll be in front of my tv again in no time. :D Until then, I got Planescape: Torment! :D

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
Planescape: Torment kept me up last night.
It still keeps me up at night.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
It still keeps me up at night.

Hahaha.

Yeah, it did it again to me last night. I got me a wisdom tattoo! Now I'm eager to buy more. Any time someone picks a fight with me, I run away and make Morte attack, once their attention is on him I come back and help attack. They don't target me again even if I hit them, so it allows us both to beat the crap out of others while they're missing Morte over and over again. I just got a new guy last night though and haven't done anything with him yet so my strategy *might* change. Drak'kon I think it was.

This game's pretty badass so far dude. Sept every time I play I regret how I did my point distribution in the beginning. Though I'm not completely torn since I made him well balanced which is far better than if I had made him combat ready.

I realized yesterday that I repeated myself a lot in my last post and probably made it difficult to follow. My apologies, I was too lazy to fix it. :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:24:49 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »
Dak'kon the githzerai is pretty awesome, one of the rare dual-class 2nd Edition characters. I think elves used to be the only thing that could dual-class in core 2E. Make sure to ask him about his past, he'll reveal more as the game progresses.

Oh and if you change classes and want to change back I think Dak'kon can change you back to fighter.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 03:47:20 AM »
Yeah, I changed to a thief, for the experience, then robbed some people (save, load, save, load) best I could to get some things I wanted. (Healing items, mostly, and one expensive item that I found out I couldn't sell cause it was stolen. Since I got it for free though, I didn't care. :P) Then I used that weapon training guy to change back to fighter. Free exp an items, what's not to love? But if Dak'kon can change me back right there and then, it'd be quicker. I'll check that out next time. I switch.

Doin' a lot of reading in this game. lol. Some games make all of the reading you have to do feel like labor. This isn't one of them.

I should also note that it's 2:54 in the morning and the *only* reason I am stopping now is because I have to work in the morning. Ha! But I have the next two days off... and my wrist is basically healed as far as I can tell. "evil laughter" But I'm definitely going to finish Planescape: Torment before I go back to the Xbox games I had been playing before fate (my wrist) intervened.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:56:18 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
Ooo, I almost forgot about this: The Gibberlings 3 Widescreen Mod

I've tried it out and it's pretty nice. Basically it just unlocks higher resolution settings for old Infinity Engine games. I tried it on Planescape: Torment but that was an original copy, no idea if it's compatible with the GOG version. Maybe the GOG version already has high res options? I think the original was just 640x480.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
It may work better under different conditions, (I'm not suggesting that it's not the games fault) maybe try it on a separate HDD with XP on it? (assuming you have one or are able to easily set one up with it) I didn't want to suggest Vista, so I suggested XP. Although there is very likely many other factors that play into it, that may be one of the easier ones to try out. (unless you have other machines with the right specs at the ready) :P

XP partition?  Are you kidding?  I bought the game to run under the advertised requirements.  My PC easily meets those.  It runs fine DX9 mode but I bought it for DX10.  Anyway I got a partial refund for it.  I'm ok.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
XP partition?  Are you kidding?  I bought the game to run under the advertised requirements.  My PC easily meets those.  It runs fine DX9 mode but I bought it for DX10.  Anyway I got a partial refund for it.  I'm ok.
I wasn't talking about requirements. It was a suggestion to try to rule out any software conflicts. So no, I wasn't kidding. But you didn't mention the DX10 thing in the original post; I wouldn't have suggested XP in that case. Though I would personally use a different HDD, rather than a partition, but I already have mine set up with multiple HDD's with different OS's, hence my reasoning.

Well at least you got a refund, if only a partial one.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »
Ooo, I almost forgot about this: The Gibberlings 3 Widescreen Mod

I've tried it out and it's pretty nice. Basically it just unlocks higher resolution settings for old Infinity Engine games. I tried it on Planescape: Torment but that was an original copy, no idea if it's compatible with the GOG version. Maybe the GOG version already has high res options? I think the original was just 640x480.

I tried it. It works, but it is awkward. In Torment it shoves the tiny window into the top left corner until you're playing. While playing, many things are awkward and text is small and hard to read, but it fills the screen like it should. It also recommends you start a new game.

However, I found another mod that is meant to be coupled with this mod that solves a lot of the awkwardness.
http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=683

It centers the menu window and fills it in with original game images. It also changes around interfaces and whatnot so that they're better suited with a bigger screen.

It's much better with the two mods coupled together. However, there's still some awkwardness, and many things are still hard to read. (although an install option for the second mod increases font size for certain things, including dialogue, allowing you to read easier.)

Someone should have made an NWN mod of this game a long time ago. :P That would have been pretty sweet.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »
I wasn't talking about requirements. It was a suggestion to try to rule out any software conflicts. So no, I wasn't kidding. But you didn't mention the DX10 thing in the original post; I wouldn't have suggested XP in that case. Though I would personally use a different HDD, rather than a partition, but I already have mine set up with multiple HDD's with different OS's, hence my reasoning.

Well at least you got a refund, if only a partial one.

Oh I get what your saying.  I've check the forums on this issue.  It's rampant and unresolved.  Clearly the game is quite broken for most people.  I'll suffer through DX9 when I get to playing.  Or maybe I'll try DX10 as I just upgraded my computer over the weekend.  I got a Core 2 Extreme for $250 on eBay.  Seeing as it retails for $1000 new I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to a quad core CPU.  Promptly overclocked it from 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz.  Easy as pie.  This thing is sweet.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
Oh I get what your saying.  I've check the forums on this issue.  It's rampant and unresolved.  Clearly the game is quite broken for most people.  I'll suffer through DX9 when I get to playing.  Or maybe I'll try DX10 as I just upgraded my computer over the weekend.  I got a Core 2 Extreme for $250 on eBay.  Seeing as it retails for $1000 new I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to a quad core CPU.  Promptly overclocked it from 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz.  Easy as pie.  This thing is sweet.
Ha, well if you're anything like me you won't play it for very long anyway. After awhile it'll probably get patched up a few times.

Sweet. I don't usually buy parts from eBay but I should start. As long as they're new what's the difference? Probably save myself a lot of money, actually.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
Ha, well if you're anything like me you won't play it for very long anyway. After awhile it'll probably get patched up a few times.

Sweet. I don't usually buy parts from eBay but I should start. As long as they're new what's the difference? Probably save myself a lot of money, actually.

Nah it's not a new part.  But like I said, it's working like a charm so far.   I'm sure they will finally fix it.  Took me 2 years to finally play NWN2 and when I got around to it I was very happy I did.  It was a very good game including the 3 expansions for it.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »
Nah it's not a new part.  But like I said, it's working like a charm so far.   I'm sure they will finally fix it.  Took me 2 years to finally play NWN2 and when I got around to it I was very happy I did.  It was a very good game including the 3 expansions for it.
"3 expansions"?!?!? Are you counting the Mysteries of Westgate premium mod as the 3rd?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
"3 expansions"?!?!? Are you counting the Mysteries of Westgate premium mod as the 3rd?

Woops I meant 2 expansions...ya ya..

I didn't get too far into MoW because DA:O came out and took my attention away.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
I didn't get too far into MoW because DA:O came out and took my attention away.
Excited for 2? Looks pretty badass.

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to NWN 2, yet. But I do plan on it sometime. I figured by now many of the bugs would be fixed.

I think I liked PS:T better without these mods. Everything is so little.