Author Topic: New Neverwinter Not a MMORPG  (Read 8570 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
New Neverwinter Not a MMORPG
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
Looks like the new Neverwinter game being developed by Cryptic Studios isn't going to be a MMORPG after all. It's going to be a cooperative RPG (whatever that means):

Gamespot Article

Should be out in Q4 2011.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Re: New Neverwinter Not a MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
Neat.  Keep us posted, I might want to try this if it comes out better than NWN2....although now might be the point where I'm going to need to get a new graphics card....

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »
Official Site

Overview

Neverwinter Reborn

Atari has announced the development of Neverwinter for PC, a new online roleplaying game based on the beloved city of Neverwinter.

In the game, players choose to become one of five classic D&D classes and team up with friends or computer-controlled allies to form five-person co-op groups. Players also create their own storylines and quests utilizing an extremely user-friendly content generation system, tentatively codenamed Forge.

Neverwinter for PC is scheduled to release in Q4 2011. For information on 2011's must-have RPG, please visit the official website.

Neverwinter Nights Reborn
Continue the critically acclaimed adventure! The #1 best-selling Neverwinter Nights series of PC RPGs returns with an epic Dungeons & Dragons storyline, next-generation graphics, a persistent world, and accessible content creation tools.

Immersive, Imaginative
Enter a world ravaged by the Spellplague. Wrest victory from the claws of darkness and battle the greatest of civilization's enemies in and around Neverwinter, a storied and ancient city upon Faerûn's Sea of Swords.

Challenging, Complex, Classic
Epic gameplay and action rooted firmly in the best traditions of the RPG genre await those heroes courageous enough to brave the Spellplague and all that it has ravaged.

Build a Fantasy
Easy-to-grasp adventure creation tools empower users. Bring compelling quests to life and build challenging levels! Share creations with the entire world in-game. Become a part of the existing Dungeons & Dragons universe... Then build a new one.

Play Together or Die Alone
Encounter dangerous foes and perilous environments. Work with others, strategically, to overcome nightmares, demons, monsters, and beasts of legend.

World Without End
Neverwinter features co-operative multiplayer in an ever-evolving, persistent world where Dungeons & Dragons adventurers quest alongside thousands of other warriors, rogues, wizards and faithful avengers.

New D&D, Beloved D&D
Neverwinter is a true Dungeons & Dragons experience based on the acclaimed 4th Edition rules -- a first of its kind!

A Legend Arises
Unprecedented character customization as only Cryptic can deliver. Imagine a hero, make a hero, become a hero.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
Won't happen.  Cryptic is going to go bust before long.  I don't think Star Trek Online is doing very well.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »
I've heard very bad things about Star Trek Online and it looked promising lol.

I am hoping for a new NWN though but I think that ride is over. :( Such a good time playing that damn game... I just want the dnd and online worlds again. Hmm... Maybe we should make our own game! MUAHAHAHAHA! Then we can take over the world!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
Well I think the way Cryptic was explaining NWN"3" would make it a game very similar to the original NWN+Gamespy.  Which is good news if they can pull it off properly (I have doubts about that).

Personally I've had overall more fun in the small "ORGs" than MMORPGs.  I've seen many free NWN mods that were run by one or a few people that were better RP experiences than the multi-billion dollar WoW.  The problem is that Blizzard has shown that there is stupid amounts of cash to be made by creating an online game that's mainstream.  So much money in fact that company after company put everything at stake to get a piece of that pie.  Most go bust after their first failed attempt.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »
Yep. I do play wow but only because it's the only game that I can find enjoyable next to nwn. (Yes, yes, I know that's sad. :P) The idea behind nwn is the perfect idea for a game. A good, immersive storyline and a great online community. You have the best of both words and tons of custom content. I'm going to go buy nwn damnit... I can't find the disc's right now lol. I know there are still some servers up and running, I can go play that haha.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »
I'm going to go buy nwn damnit... I can't find the disc's right now lol.
I just bought 4 copies of NWN Diamond for $9 a pop from the Best Buy online store. It's pretty much the only way you can find a copy now. The retail stores don't carry it.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »
I just bought 4 copies of NWN Diamond for $9 a pop from the Best Buy online store.

Why?

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
Are you guys still running Throbbleserv 420? And if so, are you still working on the quests? :D

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 01:30:35 AM »
Are you guys still running Throbbleserv 420? And if so, are you still working on the quests? :D
You should come and see for yourself. Seriously, all of you should.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 10:25:52 AM »
I will, once I purchase the neverwinter of nights. :D

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »
I just bought 4 copies of NWN Diamond for $9 a pop from the Best Buy online store. It's pretty much the only way you can find a copy now. The retail stores don't carry it.

Damn, it's 20 bucks now. :(

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »
Downloading MotB now haha. xD (I purchased it from Atari just to let you know. :P)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »
Why?
Because some of my family have expressed interest in checking out ThrobbleServ and most of them just got to the point that they meet the hardware requirements. I know it's sad but I come from a family of old school computer nerds that refuse to get rid of their old tech. Seriously, my mom (who is a computer program analyst) asked me to look at her computer because it was "running slow" and it took 45 minutes to boot up. I told her to throw it in the garbage and get a new computer but she refused because it still "worked".

Anyway, I plan on giving my family a copy of NWN in their stockings this Christmas. Hopefully they won't notice my account name.

ThrobbleServ is still running from roughly 9am - 1am PST in the Social channel. Remember to filter out Server Vault and Passworded servers or it doesn't show up in the list.

I am currently working on the 8th installment of the "Purple Dragon Quests" which can be accessed through Sir Aelthas in the Guest Quarters (northeast corner of the City Center). The areas are all done and most of the creatures are ready. Just need the conversations and journal entries and it's good to go. The new quest should be ready to test by the end of this week. After that I will start work on the 9th and final quest, though I have plans for a kind of "bonus quest" that will be accessible after completing the final quest.

Also, happy birthday to me!

EDIT: Current IP Address: 71.139.192.212:5121
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:54:29 PM by 420 »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
Happy Birthday to you! :D

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »
Happy Birthday to 420!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 04:24:35 AM »
Bit late, but happy birthday.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »
Was running around on Throbbleserv a bit earlier! :D

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 02:12:25 AM »
Was running around on Throbbleserv a bit earlier! :D
Well y'all come back now ya hear? we'll be looking out for ya!
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition