Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 8425 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Red Dead Redemption
« on: June 17, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »
Anyone play it yet?

I'm playing it right now and it's pretty sweet. It's a nice change from the norm.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
Anyone play it yet?

I'm playing it right now and it's pretty sweet. It's a nice change from the norm.
The title of the game is just too stupid for me to deal with.

Though I like me a good western (Outlaws, Call of Juarez).

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:10:02 PM »
The title of the game is just too stupid for me to deal with.

Though I like me a good western (Outlaws, Call of Juarez).

You judge books by their covers?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »
You judge books by their covers?
Actually, the cover of a book often includes a synopsis, critic's comments and even excerpts. So it turns out to be a very effective method of judging the book's contents.

That doesn't change the fact that Red Dead Redemption is a stupid name. Oh and Dead Man's Hand was also a good western FPS.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »
Actually, the cover of a book often includes a synopsis, critic's comments and even excerpts. So it turns out to be a very effective method of judging the book's contents.

That doesn't change the fact that Red Dead Redemption is a stupid name. Oh and Dead Man's Hand was also a good western FPS.

When would you ever see unbiased critic comments on a book's cover?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:12:06 PM »
When would you ever see unbiased critic comments on a book's cover?
I never said "unbiased".

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
I never said "unbiased".

I think that was his point.

And mine was that the name wasn't relevant to the quality of the game. But perhaps judging books by their titles is a better example.

Meh, I think you would like it, but I'm not sure if it's on PC. I don't think so, but like I said, I'm not sure. Too lazy to look.

It's not amazing, it's just fun. I wouldn't compare it to Mass Effect (1 or 2). Kinda has some GTA elements in it. It's made by Rockstar after all.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »

Meh, I think you would like it, but I'm not sure if it's on PC. I don't think so, but like I said, I'm not sure. Too lazy to look.
It's not on the PC. Another kick in the teeth to the platform that made Rockstar what it is today.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
Meh, I always played GTA games on playstation, so I wouldn't know anything about that. With the exception of GTA 4, which I played on the 360 and the game blew ass.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:28:14 AM »
Meh, I always played GTA games on playstation, so I wouldn't know anything about that. With the exception of GTA 4, which I played on the 360 and the game blew ass.
GTA 1 and 2 were released on the playstation? I didn't realize they had made it to the consoles.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:48:55 AM »
GTA 1 and 2 were released on the playstation? I didn't realize they had made it to the consoles.

I didn't say they were.

I just said I always played GTA games on playstation, so I wouldn't know anything about that. Wasn't disagreeing with you.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:49 AM »
I beat single player and got 100% awhile ago. Been playing multiplayer. Personally, I feel the multiplayer for this game is amazing.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
I beat single player and got 100% awhile ago. Been playing multiplayer. Personally, I feel the multiplayer for this game is amazing.
Is it just FFA or are there team modes?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:41 AM »
Is it just FFA or are there team modes?

There are quite a few modes.

Free Roam is the default mode with the most to it. You can join or create parties, also known as posses, and do gang hideouts together, take on other players, or just kill as many lawmen as you can, often while holed up in a town or a fort. There are free for all matches, gang matches (team vs team) and many other types of matches. There are now co op matches available too, which you can do with a team. It's free dlc. Then advanced co op missions on top of that. In addition to all of this, it is still rpg like. Everyone has their own character and can pick from a list of looks. There are 50 default levels to gain, which you unlock new mounts, character looks, weapons, challenges, game types, titles, and more. You gain XP by killing other players, beating gang hideouts, killing npc's, completing challenges, doing co op missions, etc. You gain more xp by working with others than you do by killing them.  You are still able to pick up all the weapons in the game during gameplay, as well as snatch other mounts and other players' mounts, even if you do not have them unlocked. Weapons you find stay with you throughout a session. You always have weapons you've unlocked, but weapons you simply find only last until you quit the current session. (you could leave one free roam game and go to another and still have them, but logging off and back on gets rid of them) As for challenges, there are many of various types. Challenges give you extra xp for doing what it describes. For instance, a stat challenge known as Lemming, required you to fall to your death a certain number of times. There are co op challenges, pvp challenges, stat challenges, general free roam challenges, etc. There are also challenges like Master Hunter II, which at rank 1 requires you to kill five grizzly bears, one of which must be done with a melee knife. Also, after you get to level 50, you have 50 more levels you can gain to unlock a sweet mount and a legendary character, after that, 50 more for the same reward, and after that, 50 more. :P

There's a lot more to it than what I described, but trust me it's fun.