Author Topic: Mr. SF bike coalition rep.  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mr. SF bike coalition rep.
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:04 PM »
Pop quiz hot shot what's the difference between these two bikes:
Giant Defy 1 and the Giant Defy 2

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mr. SF bike coalition rep.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
Well the most noticeable differences is that the 1 is red and the 2 is blue. The 2 comes with basic caged clipped pedals and the 1 requires you to provide your own pedals. The 1 is also about $250 more expensive. After that it gets down into different components.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »
I don't know anything about bikes.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:56:21 AM »
I don't know anything about bikes.

Are you mentioning that just to do so, or are you laying a hint for someone to suggest reasons to either get a bike or use one you have more often?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:51:29 AM »
Probably option 1.

I'd like to have a bike, my old one got ran over. It was a nice bike too, though it didn't have any brakes.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
5-6 years ago I found a Free Spirit probably made in the 80s, in a drainage ditch and it wasn't until the summer of 08 that I started riding it. Last fall the entire pedal mechanism fell off and is no longer repairable.
I went down to a bike shop in town and the mechanic said the same thing about those two bikes as far as the differences.  I spent a half hour in the store and walked away without any technical details about bike components.

What's a good bike for riding around the city?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
I used to have a Schwinn from the 60's when I was a kid. I'm not sure what my father ever did with that bike. My last bike was actually a custom build, most parts were BMX.

Some asshat ran it over.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 02:20:48 AM »

What's a good bike for riding around the city?

Well both the bikes you were asking about look very nice and have good components on them. So if you have your heart set on one of those then go for the color you like best. Marin is anther company that makes some fine brag worthy bikes, and of course Cannondale as well. If you want something that easier on the wallet then I'd say check the local shop for a good Specialized. Personally I would expect the lowest end of my buying bracket to bet about $600. Mind you the last time i went bike shopping was in 1994 and $1100 later I rode out on a limited edition Dos Equis Team Barracuda. Sadly that company is long gone but I'm still riding the bike today, albiet she's not as pretty as she used to be.

Aluminum frames are pretty standard these days so most of what you find will be that. Titanium is sweet but only get that if you really want to brag or are considering getting on a competitive circut. Forks are also pretty standard now, most are alloy and at the shop where I buy my parts I see a lot of bikes with carbon fiber forks some not even over $1000. As far as components are concerned you will mostly see Shimano parts. Even their budget models the Deore are perfectly good and you will get good reliable use out them. The higher end components are not really about function but about shaving those precious few ounces off the total weight, and looking good. When it comes to rims Mavic is about the best you can get before having rims fully custom built for you. I have rolled Mavics for ten years and would still be on them today if I had ponied up some extra cash to go to disk brakes. The brake rub finally wore through them. After that I'd say have 18 gears so you have the lower ratios for dealing with the big hills and for bikes that feel comfortable and make you say, "Mmm pretty," when you first see them. the latter was what made me buy mine.

If what you see in the shops are still out of your price range then look at a second hand bike. There are some real gems out there that you can pick up on the cheap. I once got a nice Cannondale for $40 just needed a few minor repairs. finally one final word.  KRYPTONITE. A U-lock and cable, fix the U-lock through the back wheel and frame and the cable through the front wheel and seat rails, linking back to the U-lock. Remember a jackass will steal any part of a bike they can walk away with, just because they can.

So happy shopping! and now once again my signature line...

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »
6-800 is my price range more like 600 though after all the accessories it'll probably be 800. Thanks for the info
What about tires do you change up depending on where your riding?
Are spin classes bike riding lessons?

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:58:58 PM »
These days I just ride on street tires. I don't have any riding buddies so I haven't done any trails in years. I usually get new ones about once every year and a half. I suggest something with a good puncture resistance like specialized armadillos. They cost about $50 each but well worth it.

I have no idea what goes on in a spin class. I have only heard it mentioned once before.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
I did a search on "Spin Class" and got this: Indoor Cycling