Author Topic: Construction RPG Discussion  (Read 7842 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Construction RPG Discussion
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
I was all excited about Dragon Age until I found out it wasn't multiplayer. I was hoping it would be the next gen NWN-style construction RPG instead it's just another NWN2.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
While I do not believe that Dragon Age was even close to as phenomenal as people have made it out to be and is definitely not in the caliber of Neverwinter Nights, wrong is the comparison between it and NWN2.

You're trying to compare a game that is good and should have been better, with a game that is terrible and should have been amazing.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »
I was all excited about Dragon Age until I found out it wasn't multiplayer. I was hoping it would be the next gen NWN-style construction RPG instead it's just another NWN2.

That's what I figured.  I don't think we are going to ever get another NWN.  We are going to have to put our faith into MMORPGS for multiplayer.  I'm looking forward to more info on GW2 in that regard.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
You're trying to compare a game that is good and should have been better, with a game that is terrible and should have been amazing.
This line had me laughing out loud and I couldn't agree more with your statement.

That's what I figured.  I don't think we are going to ever get another NWN.  We are going to have to put our faith into MMORPGS for multiplayer.  I'm looking forward to more info on GW2 in that regard.
Sadly I think you are correct. We did have the Adventure Construction Set, Unlimited Adventures and NWN, all about 10 years apart. I'm just disappointed that there hasn't been any new developments in RPG "construction" games in the last decade.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
Indeed. I get excited over the prospect of making mods and creating things in NWN, but turn my head with the knowledge that nobody is going to see it. There just isn't a decent player base. I don't know what keeps you going, 420.

If only NWN could be offered free over the internet. Then I wouldn't have an excuse not to make the things I'd like to make. I simply know that the people I want to play it with won't have the game and won't buy it, or have it but won't bother re-installing it due to the same reasons I don't bother making mods with it any longer. It's also depressing not to have anything new, which is what made NWN2 such a frustrating failure.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:58:27 PM »
I'm just disappointed that there hasn't been any new developments in RPG "construction" games in the last decade.

Well it's a question of money.  There's hardly any profit to develop a game like NWN and allow for free multiplayer.  It takes a lot to build the multiplayer side to a game, and why invest if it's not going to bring in any dollars?  Bioware made money on expansions with NWN, but are doing the exact same thing with DA without having to invest the extra dollars in a multiplayer engine.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
I believe we should create our own game. Opensource. Codename: The 420 Project. People will think it's about pot. lol.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:21:06 AM »
To be completely honest I always wondered why 420 doesn't work in the computer game industry.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:23:52 AM »
Indeed. I get excited over the prospect of making mods and creating things in NWN, but turn my head with the knowledge that nobody is going to see it. There just isn't a decent player base. I don't know what keeps you going, 420.

If only NWN could be offered free over the internet. Then I wouldn't have an excuse not to make the things I'd like to make. I simply know that the people I want to play it with won't have the game and won't buy it, or have it but won't bother re-installing it due to the same reasons I don't bother making mods with it any longer. It's also depressing not to have anything new, which is what made NWN2 such a frustrating failure.
If I can find a source I will personally buy a copy of NWN for everyone who wants to play it.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
You are insane, 420.

As for a source, well, Amazon has new ones and used for the Diamond edition which has all the essentials obviously.
http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-Diamond-Pc/dp/B000B8K7RC/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_1

Also found some here:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0310619

Unfortunately, all I could find was three used ones for the platinum edition. The Bioware page for the platinum edition implies that the Diamond version of the game is better because it has everything the platinum edition has plus three premium modules. That's a complete load of shit. My wife has the Diamond edition and I am extremely fortunate to have the Platinum edition. The three premium modules that come with the diamond edition are all short and unfinished, not worth a damn. It comes with no game manual to speak of, whereas the platinum edition has a game manual that tells you all about gameplay, classes, and all sorts of shit. (I think it even tells you about the console a little towards the back) I can't tell you how many times I referenced that book on GS when newbies would ask questions. I always had it on hand.
http://nwn.bioware.com/about/platinumedition.html

http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-Platinum-Pc/dp/B00029QORW

I found it very unfortunate that hers didn't come with a game manual. The only thing I like better about the diamond edition is it comes on one disc, a DVD. My platinum edition, however, came with two install CD's and a play disc.

You could probably find some on eBay too, I'm sure. I swear I remember Newegg carrying it awhile ago, but they must have sold them because it's no longer there.

P.S. My spellchecker just got done trying to convince me that "must" wasn't a word.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:45:35 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Construction RPG Discussion
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
To be completely honest I always wondered why 420 doesn't work in the computer game industry.
Well, technically, I do if you consider the number of games I have beta tested and consulted on. (I once sat in on a meeting with people specializing in geriatric work to pitch a Sim style game that made people aware of how hard it is to be an elderly person trying to deal with their daily life.) But it's all volunteer work, I want a good game so I'm willing to give my time freely to make a good game happen. This behavior often befuddles potential employers since they are all a bunch of money humping capitalists who can't comprehend the fact that I am willing to work for very little compensation. Shit, Throbble and I are still active CEP team members and we've never had any intention of using the CEP, they just needed our help to stay alive.

I'm sure Throbble curses me to this day for being a serial volunteer but I just don't like being paid for what I do.

HeLL: Amazon only has 3rd party availability for NWN, which is odd since I just bought a copy from them for Throbble's eldest brother for Christmas. And those copies, even the used ones, run $35+ I even saw one copy on Amazon for $90. I'm going to try Best Buy's online warehouse since none of their local stores carry it and they claim to have it in stock for $20.

EDIT: Regarding manuals, I'm a huge fan of manuals and my original NWN, SoU and HotU manuals are dog-eared like a motherfucker from my constant referencing over the years.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:13:55 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »
Yes, that's why it should be free to download! :D

You can always try eBay, you're bound to find something there at one point or another, the only real issue is having to deal with idiots.

I agree, I love manuals. That's why I'm glad I bought the platinum version after all those years using the original version with no expansions. At the time I bought it, the Diamond version didn't exist yet, so I feel I got lucky, because I surely would have bought the diamond unknowing of it's unmanualiness. Yes, I made that up. Plus I wanted premium modules, thinking that they would have been good; they weren't.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
"unmanualiness"

Just saying: that is the coolest made up word I've ever encountered.

And the Platinum Manual is pretty awesome.

[/end unrelatedness]

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 02:51:07 AM »
Cheers to NWN.

I could have sworn I saw copies on the shelves at various Best Buys/Game Buzz stores.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 03:22:38 AM »
http://nwn.bioware.com/about/purchase.html

Some of these stores should still carry it.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 08:26:59 AM »
The ring binding was sweet mine are still like new.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »
I've seen copies in Gamestop and Best Buy. :D Hmm, I think I'm going to reinstall and play. :D
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
Mine is still like new as well, despite how often I used it as a reference. I tend to be careful with things like that.

Offline Ser Red Ronnet Connington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »
You can still buy NWN in UK gaming stores or on UK Amazon.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
You can still buy NWN in UK gaming stores or on UK Amazon.
A couple months back I bought 3 copies of NWN Platinum for something like $9 a piece from Best Buy's online store.

Get them while you can and give them away to friends and family at Christmas.