Author Topic: StarCraft II Beta has begun  (Read 15674 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
StarCraft II Beta has begun
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
I haven't gotten an invite yet but apparently they are doing invites in phases so my fingers are crossed.

StarCraft II Beta Site

To sign up for the beta you'll need to create an account on the New Battle.net.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: StarCraft II Beta has begun
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
Woot woot! :D:D I'm hoping to get in not only the SC2 beta but the Cataclysm beta as well. ^^
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
Well, 420, if you don't get an invite and have $400...

Want an early look at Starcraft II, widely expected to be one of the year's hottest PC games? You can -- but it's going to cost you....

...Access codes to the "beta test" were handed out for free, with many thought to have come from giveaways at a 2008 fan festival organized by the game's developer, Blizzard. But a few enterprising fans promptly put theirs up for sale on auction sites like eBay -- and the going rate is as much as $400....

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/starcraft-ii-beta-accounts-fetching-astronomical-prices/1390237

lol.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
lol @ $400 to beta test.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
lol @ $400 to beta test.
Hmm, maybe I'd pay that for the Diablo 3 beta but not for SC2.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
Hmm, maybe I'd pay that for the Diablo 3 beta but not for SC2.

I don't doubt it coming from the man who shelled out over $100 to Flagship for a lifetime subscription to Hellgate :P

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »
I think it was $150, not including the price of the game. Of course, that means two subscriptions and two games. That probably cost them around $400... as irony would have it.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »
I think it was $150, not including the price of the game. Of course, that means two subscriptions and two games. That probably cost them around $400... as irony would have it.
That is indeed the correct price that I paid to get Flagshipped.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
heheh

buy flagshipped mugs, tshirts and magnets
To be the victim of misleading information or misdirection.

To have a deal broken or contract unfulfilled.
Man 1: I paid good money for the bonus features but two weeks later they gave the bonus features away for free!

Man 2: Damn man, you got Flagshipped!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »
I feel like I get Flagshipped every time I buy a new game and they later release content I have to pay for if I want it. I also feel like I get Flagshipped any time I pay for a game and expansions just to have them release expansion+game bundles soon thereafter. Or when a game is released and I wait to buy it, wait to buy it, still wait to buy it, and finally buy it much later when it's still around the same price of when it was released, and then have them finally drop the price immediately after I buy it. (this has happened on a few occasions) There are plenty of other instances where I've also felt similar... my 360, for example. Felt like I got Flagshipped hardcore on the first one only working for 4 months, and having a 12 month Xbox live membership that got barely used. I also got tricked into thinking my new elite was going to be a Jasper, when in fact it wasn't, and the Jasper elite versions finally came out not long later, plus a $100 price drop. ><

Still glad I'm not in 420's and Throbble's shoes. It wasn't me, but whenever I think about it, I still can't help but feel pissed off for you guys, because that whole situation was complete bullshit. $400 dollars for a game that turns out to be less than promised in many regards, and then you end up not even being able to play it. That's fucked up.

------

Anyway, back on topic. I'm fucking excited for SC2 despite my present situation in trying to lay off the games a little bit. Not interested in beta though, I just can't wait for the game. Only thing really exciting me more is Diablo III, and that's not for a bit yet.

Just checked out the "new battle.net" as 420 calls it. I can't count how many times I've made Bnet accounts because they always expire. I like the new system where you can add games you own to the account, making them downloadable at any time for free. That's pretty awesome. It didn't work for my Warcraft II, though. I'm not sure if it's because they haven't added it yet, or if it's something else. It says in the article relating to it, that it's not set up for all of their games yet. My Diablo's (II and exp) worked just fine. Except, of course, Diablo 1, since it doesn't even have a cd key. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »

Still glad I'm not in 420's and Throbble's shoes. It wasn't me, but whenever I think about it, I still can't help but feel pissed off for you guys, because that whole situation was complete bullshit. $400 dollars for a game that turns out to be less than promised in many regards, and then you end up not even being able to play it. That's fucked up.
Technically it worked out since the lifetime membership was $150 and the monthly membership was $10. The game was live for 15 months exactly (not a coincidence) so we at least got our money's worth. The real kick in the pants will come when they re-release the game and all the lifetimers get screwed.

It didn't work for my Warcraft II, though. I'm not sure if it's because they haven't added it yet, or if it's something else. It says in the article relating to it, that it's not set up for all of their games yet. My Diablo's (II and exp) worked just fine. Except, of course, Diablo 1, since it doesn't even have a cd key.
Yeah, the new battle.net only recognizes games made after Diablo and WarCraft II. This includes StarCraft + expansion, Diablo II + expansion, Warcraft III + expansion and WoW.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
Well... really all that leaves out is Warcraft II. Since I don't think Warcraft had a cd key. I want to put WCII in anyway, dammit.

Diablo and Warcraft battle chests still cost $40 from their store. I remember buying the Diablo one for $50. That was a long time ago. lol.
I wish they would drop that, I don't actually own Warcraft III or Starcraft. I've only played them. I had friends who had the games, I later 'obtained' a copy of WCIII and replayed it again.

I have Diablo, Diablo II + Exp, Warcraft II + Exp, and technically Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, but not a physical copy. I still want to buy WCIII battlechest as I love that game, and Starcraft battlechest. It's just a little irksome that the games still cost nearly as much as they did when they were released.

I also intend to buy the books on Diablo at some point in time, but I have my hands full of stuff to read for now. (plus I plan to buy the Halo books as well, and have considered the warcraft ones, but they don't hold as much appeal to me due to WoW; which seriously lowered my respect for the franchise.)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:05:10 AM »
The real kick in the pants will come when they re-release the game and all the lifetimers get screwed.

Nah, cause you're not gonna bother playing that crap again.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »
Just got an invite to the beta.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 10:37:16 AM »

Your life is now officially over.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
What?!?!!? Son of a bitch! Why don't they let me beta test?!!??

FUCK!

Argh,

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
You can tell 420 is a true friend. He's really happy that you got in more than he is worried about himself getting in.

What a guy, what a guy. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
Throbble and I finally got invited. Spent all day trying to log in. Now 5 hours to download the install. I'll be lucky to play the beta before the game hits the shelves.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 11:09:37 PM »
Yeah, i gave it a whirl again a week ago. Took a hour just to get the new patch done.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
Well, I was in the middle of posting a lengthy analysis of the StarCraft 2 beta when it occurred to me that maybe I should actually read the license agreement that I've clicked past a dozen times. Turns out I'm not allowed to say anything about the game or even about the new battle.net. Spoil sports!

Anyway, I can't wait for it to be released.

Here are some matches posted to the StarCraft 2 web site if anyone wants to check out the game:
Battle Report 1
Battle Report 2
Battle Report 3
Battle Report 4

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »
Awesome videos.  Can't wait for this!  Haven't played an RTS since C&C Tiberian Sun.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
So how can I link up to you and Throbble in game?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »
So how can I link up to you and Throbble in game?
There are a couple ways, we can hook up by login name (JimmyJames and Throbblefoot) but that only works within a specific game. We can also invite by email address which will link us over all battle.net games. So If I'm playing SC2 and you're playing D3 you can see that I'm online and chat with me.

Call me and we'll exchange emails.

EDIT:
Awesome videos.  Can't wait for this!  Haven't played an RTS since C&C Tiberian Sun.
Did you play C&C Generals? I got the Game of the Year edition which includes the expansion. Very fun game and strangely relevant to our world's current situation. I think it came out right after Tiberian Sun.

EDIT EDIT:
Cuch: I sent the email addresses that we're using for battle.net to your email.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:42:57 AM by 420 »

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 08:09:48 AM »
Did you play C&C Generals?
Yup played that one too.  I might have gotten them mixed up but I think I played Generals more than Tiberian Sun but I especially liked the Red Alert series.

So If I'm playing SC2 and you're playing D3 you can see that I'm online and chat with me.
I miss B.net that was such a great feature.  Can people playing D1 SC1 and the earlier Warcraft (not WoW) games going to be able to see people on SC2 and D3?

I had to watch it again just too funny:
Oh can that probe out run that marine...ooh yes he can

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
I miss B.net that was such a great feature.  Can people playing D1 SC1 and the earlier Warcraft (not WoW) games going to be able to see people on SC2 and D3?
Most likely. It seems to make sense given that you can communicate between SCII and DIII. Since D2 and whatnot still use bnet, there shouldn't be any reason why not. If you can't anymore that would be pretty stupid, but I understand your concern when you look at the fact that you can't put in some of the older cd keys on bnet to enable download of earlier installments. However, that may be a different matter entirely, who knows.

Don't take my word for it though, it's only my opinion. I'm not sure if he's 'allowed' to answer the question or not. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »
It's hard to say. I believe Blizzard said of their old games only WoW will be migrated to the new b.net. Though you can register some of the older games (D2, SC1, WC3) they are still using the old b.net login so they lack any of the new b.net functionality.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »
You would still be able to communicate then though, right? I liked the way it used to be set up though, being able to be in a channel with characters from all their different games.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »
6 Days.

I'm replaying the first one now, I might wait to buy it until I am done.

I am highly considering buying the collectors edition, if possible (it's sold out on newegg), but it's $100. I almost want to buy two, one to sell down the road when it's worth a lot more. lol

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »
6 Days.

I'm replaying the first one now, I might wait to buy it until I am done.

I am highly considering buying the collectors edition, if possible (it's sold out on newegg), but it's $100. I almost want to buy two, one to sell down the road when it's worth a lot more. lol
I'm not going for the SCII Collector's Edition because I don't see anything included with it that I want or need.

*Behind-the-scenes DVD - Yawn-fest. If I want to have all the fun sucked out of computer games I'll go work for a game company.

*Collector's Edition Soundtrack - Huh? So, I get to listen to the music of the game I'm playing? Great.

*StarCraft Comic Issue #0 - The '90's called, they want their marketing gimmick back.

*The Art of StarCraft II - Let's see, where is the best place for this, coffee table, back of the toilet or paper shredder? Definitely paper shredder.

*USB Drive with original StarCraft+Expansion - Yeah... I already got that when I plugged my StarCraft CD key into my new Battle.net account. Nice try Blizzard but I'm not giving you money for that.

*Exclusive Downloadable Battle.net Content - Translation: "So lame that we're embarrassed to be any more specific."

*Exclusive In Game World of Warcraft Pet - YES! Exclusive in-game StarCra... Wait! What the fuck!?!?!? Now I have to buy WoW? Fuck you, Blizzard.

*StarCraft II Game - No shit! You mean if I buy the collector's edition I get the game in addition to all the useless shit? That's swell.

If there was just one thing that looked remotely interesting, like some in-game content for SC2 for instance, I would get the collector's edition.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 03:12:36 AM »
lol, that's is indeed the truth of it.

However, I want the collectors edition simply for... well... collection purposes. That and another to sell, even if it's all worthless shit, it will be worth something to someone down the road.

I most likely won't get it though, because if I buy one then I feel like I must get myself the same 'more expensive' version... Then I've just spent more money than I want to spend. :( Even if half of it would be an investment.

Yep, that's my life story. Thanks for listening.