Author Topic: Fuck YouTube  (Read 8290 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuck YouTube
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »
You know, I used to like YouTube. It let you stream rare video/audio clips of obscure stuff without delay. Now the worthwhile content has all been removed and what's left seems to be a mishmash of incomplete tidbits, misleading links or just broken/removed entries.

Comments?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Fuck YouTube
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »
Never really used YouTube much.
Can you give examples?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Never really used YouTube much.
Can you give examples?
Well, many of the older links in the "What are you listening to?" thread are gone and a large number of search results on the YouTube site return links to content that was removed for one reason or another. It's like living in a 3rd world country.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »
They've been sued a few times for copyright infringement after Google bought it. A company like that doesn't want to get sued over copyrighted materials or for any other reason, so they cover their asses. I believe the prospect of being sued over shit was the likely reason.

It probably wasn't worth suing Youtube before it was owned by Google; which was for less than a year I believe. lol.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »
That copyright issue was big news when Google bought YouTube.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6038116.stm

There's still some useful content there as far as stuff over 10 minutes and it still provides a simple venue for tutorials and video blogs that are under 10 minutes.  I don't actively seek stuff on Youtube but I commonly visit it through links for videos.  It's really for noncommercial use.  However I do think that done correctly and in the format of Hulu it could be serious competition especially in the music video genre seeing as how there was a deal between Youtube and Music Group to post videos owned by (I think) Time Warner, before Google bought it.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
I used to watch Bleach episodes on Youtube a long time ago. It was far more convenient than the shit I have to deal with nowadays. (putting up with shitty server bandwidth or limited viewing times)

What I usually do is watch Bleach episodes from episode 1 to the last released episode, and then wait a long ass time and then do it again when many more episodes are out. But it's a pain in the ass when your video is taking five years to load and with your connection speed it should take 5 seconds.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:50 PM »
I used to watch anime on you tube that way. I would find someone who had multiple consecutive episodes and look for their entries until i saw all of their stuff or they got deleted. I later went to megavideo which is a pay site but it allows you you so many free unregistered hours per day. Crunchyroll is similar but the variety was limited. Hulu is now expanding for anime, hopefully it will get better.

I used to watch Bleach episodes on Youtube a long time ago. It was far more convenient than the shit I have to deal with nowadays. (putting up with shitty server bandwidth or limited viewing times)

What I usually do is watch Bleach episodes from episode 1 to the last released episode, and then wait a long ass time and then do it again when many more episodes are out. But it's a pain in the ass when your video is taking five years to load and with your connection speed it should take 5 seconds.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:06 PM »
Just now I'm watching an episode of Q&A on C-SPAN with an author of a book and they're using video clips of the Vietnam war and guess their resource..Youtube.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09:55 AM »
Just now I'm watching an episode of Q&A on C-SPAN with an author of a book and they're using video clips of the Vietnam war and guess their resource..Youtube.
Was there an actual point behind that statement, or are you just randomly ranting?