Author Topic: How AOL ruined the Internet  (Read 8865 times)

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
How AOL ruined the Internet
« on: August 25, 2004, 02:47:49 PM »
Unfortunately, I did use google.

NO PEELED GRAPES FOR YOU!

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 03:56:53 PM »
Do AOL users get some grapes, or maybe some watermelon :D ?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:25:23 PM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 04:07:52 PM »
Do AOL users get some grapes? :P
I'll ignore the fact that you clearly have no idea why it would matter if Talon had used google, and head straight for these facts:
1) Google and AOL are not comparable. One is a search engine, the other is an ISP.
2) AOL lusers would be lucky to get back of my hand, never mind the toe of my hobnail boot.

Go ahead and call me a snob, but I won't forget that AOL systematically ruined the web.

-Throbblefoot
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 04:36:09 PM »
ROFL

Thanks Throbble, needed a good laugh. :lol:  

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
Do AOL users get some grapes? :P
I'll ignore the fact that you clearly have no idea why it would matter if Talon had used google, and head straight for these facts:
1) Google and AOL are not comparable. One is a search engine, the other is an ISP.
2) AOL lusers would be lucky to get back of my hand, never mind the toe of my hobnail boot.

Go ahead and call me a snob, but I won't forget that AOL systematically ruined the web.

-Throbblefoot
AOL is also a search engine....Pretty cool one, it searches eBay also (never seen that b4).

How exactly did AOL ruin the web?

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 05:26:57 PM »
I know but i felt i had to add something to it, and thats all i could think of, + i love adding to pointless stuff. And im not sure why everyone hates AOL, exept for the fact that it is expencive.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:27:40 PM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 06:07:26 PM »
How exactly did AOL ruin the web?
"Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause that Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles..."

-Throbblefoot
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 06:37:44 PM »
I believe what Throbblefoot is trying to say is, before AOL the web consisted mostly of computer enthusiasts sharing information about their other hobbies, interests and work.

Back before AOL got every grandma, baby and slack-jawed yokel onto the internet we didn't have pointless graphics, sounds or ADVERTISEMENTS. What we did have was useful information, hypertext links to more useful information and, get this, search engines that returned actual useful links!

Gone are the days of the Mother of All Humor Archives, the World Wide Web Worm and *sob* actual useful content available in a logical and easy-to-digest format.

Why I remember when we just kept the web a secret from people like that Navy Captain who couldn't figure out that his computer wouldn't work because his surge protector was turned off.

AOL ruined all that, suddenly people like Throbblefoot's old roommate were wondering why the internet wasn't comming in through the power cord!

PS now I am depressed...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 06:39:16 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 09:19:52 AM »
I thought this conversation deserved it's own topic for the moment....

You claim it was AOL who single handedly turned the old text based web into the beast that the WWW is today....Though AOL is one of the biggest ISPs if not the biggest, it is my opinion that everything that happend during the evolution of the Internet was caused simply because the free markets of the world noticed that the Internet could be used as a new source of revenue.  Thats why we see everything we see on the Internet today.  Same as what we see on TV today or driving on the streets today...Companies marketing themselves to the public to generate dollars.  AOL is one of those companies, but really they always sorta has their own "private WWW", so really i can't see how they can be blamed for anything at all.  Same with the other "first" ISPs like Compuserv (remember them?)....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 09:20:54 AM by Mo, Master of the Arcane »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 02:01:51 PM »
I didn't want to get into this per se, but since 420 is proffering interpretations of my word-hole, I'm going to take the bait (mo's a troll, by the way).

I don't actually agree that only geeks should have access to the web- accessibility is one of its greatest assets!  But I do think that AOL trained a huge set of users with low expectations and lame behaviors that are detrimental to the web.

For instance, AOL has always been shamelessly self-promoting, and has clogged many's the landfill with their CDs. For that alone I would probably hate them. But, the ramification of their self-promotion is that internet users now expect it. If you don't ram your name down everyone's in-box, you're no one.

Another problem I have with AOL is the overly-simplified interface: it's assumes the user is ignorant and wants to remain ignorant. Users can't *learn* anything about what they're actually doing. This leads to ignorant users all over the web who expect that everyone uses AOL and everything should look and work like AOL.

AOL's dreadful history of performance problems and disconnects has trained people to expect crappy internet connections, and I can't abide that. People should expect better than AOL, but because of AOL's proliferation, they don't. (This last applies to Starbucks, Walmart, Microsoft, etc. It may be a fact of the "new economy" but it seems like putting all your eggs into one basket).

Now Mo, I do agree that the commercialization of the web was inevitable, but it didn't necessarily have to be the mass of uneducated users with low expectations and high frustration levels that it often is. And I blame the culture AOL built and propagated for a lot of those expectations.

-Throbblefoot

Zombie - Culann's Hounds

EL CABAZONO

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 03:23:30 PM »
In my opinion the reason AOL ruined the interweb is the following:

LOLOMGWTF I AER LEET KEWL U R NOT LOLOLOLOLOL  2 U

Loki

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 12:39:14 AM »
franklly I HATE AOL WITH ALL MY HEART!!!! I CANT STAND IT ANY LONGER!!!! i mean who ever made AOL dezervs to DIE! And anyone who likes AOL is a Jackass :P  

Loki

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »
IM GALD I GOT THAT OUT OF MY SYTEM :lol:  

Offline Rhazeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 03:33:36 PM »
*shrugs* Prehaps it's worth mentioning that AOL's goal was to make the internet a place where people could have a good time. Not everyone has the need to use the internet 10 hours a day. Although I'm not an american (and thus shouldn't even be writing this...) I think it has helped modernize the americans.

And, regarding the way of speaches you talk about... I must say, I'm suprised that danish girls are even able to pass their examns, due to the directly horrid language they use in their "texts" and such. I belive that the cellular phone would have done the same to peoples typing habbits, as the internet, presumably, has.

*grumbels* Also, it might be worth mentioning that 90% of the worlds population cosists of "ignorant" people.
Silent screaming, you're on your own
Balancing on a blade
Between what's right and what is wrong
Don't loose your faith, don't sit there in silence
Show your strength, let's hail the metal Gods,
Bare your heart

EL CABAZONO

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »
*shrugs* Prehaps it's worth mentioning that AOL's goal was to make the internet a place where people could have a good time. Not everyone has the need to use the internet 10 hours a day. Although I'm not an american (and thus shouldn't even be writing this...) I think it has helped modernize the americans.

And, regarding the way of speaches you talk about... I must say, I'm suprised that danish girls are even able to pass their examns, due to the directly horrid language they use in their "texts" and such. I belive that the cellular phone would have done the same to peoples typing habbits, as the internet, presumably, has.

*grumbels* Also, it might be worth mentioning that 90% of the worlds population cosists of "ignorant" people.
No, that's just what they claim to do.  YOU try using AOL. It's so damned complicated, I bet it scares people away from the interweb.