Author Topic: Being Nowhere?  (Read 9759 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Being Nowhere?
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
Nullabicity or Nullibicity

1. being nowhere

2. the condition or attribute of being nowhere; non-existence
So I heard about this word today and I think it's complete crap. This word has no real meaning. It's nonsense.

You can't be nowhere. You're either somewhere or you are nothing (or everything) but either way you aren't nowhere. And if you don't exist there is no state of non-existence. You can't not exist.

Throbble disagrees.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Being Nowhere?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
Hmm interesting.  dictionary.com did not have the words to listed but it did have this one which means the same thing:

Nullibiety

In any case, I agree with you that this nonsense but I don't disagree with there being a word that explains something irrational or otherwise ridiculous.

And sure you can not exist.  That's what this thing is supposed to do to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Nullifier

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »

Nullibiety
Yeah both the links I posted list that as one alternate spelling. I think the term I used is archaic.

In any case, I agree with you that this nonsense but I don't disagree with there being a word that explains something irrational or otherwise ridiculous.
But there are words that describe those general terms, if we start naming specific types of irrationality we are all doomed!

And sure you can not exist.  That's what this thing is supposed to do to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Nullifier
No, what that thing does is make it so there never was, is or ever will be a specific being. The theoretical "you" in this case.

In fact, I have certain Marvel-based references that states that The Ultimate Nullifier is the only thing that can kill Galactus because it destroys the entire universe. But that is a discussion for another thread.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:23:45 AM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:25:01 AM »
Excellent. I don't care if you cannot but can be nowhere and everywhere at the same time that you're not even though you are. Actually I do, but I don't. Those words kick ass. It's that fucking simple.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
Things shouldn't be named until they exist?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Things shouldn't be named until they exist?
Not exactly. My point is that "being nowhere" is a meaningless concept and therefor there is no reason to invent a word for it.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »
Throbble disagrees.

I agree

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
I'm actually curious where you heard this word and under what context was it used.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »
I'm actually curious where you heard this word and under what context was it used.
Throbble says it was used in the National Spelling Bee and the speller asked for the definition but I don't know what definition/example the judges provided.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
The word was used in Round 4 as nullibicity.  Can't find a video on Youtube for round 4.