Neverwinter Nights > NwN General

Playing HotU Multiplayer

(1/2) > >>

420:
Disclaimer: I haven't played the HotU campaign in years so this information may be a bit off.

HotU has a couple significant obstacles that prevented it from being classified as a multiplayer campaign. By far, the most prevalent problem was that a certain Preston Watamaniuk, who is strangely absent from the credits in the HotU manual, used GetFirstPC instead of GetPCSpeaker for all conversation based scripts he wrote. This means that all scripts called from conversations will affect the first PC to enter the module rather than the current speaker.

So here are a few tips to playing HotU multiplayer:

1. Pick one person to be the "main character", this person should always be the first to load/enter the game and should be the one to do all quest related dialog.

2. When starting HotU only the main character should go through the first cut-scene. Once the cut-scene is done and the main character is in the Inn room then everyone else can enter the game. If anyone else enters before the cut-scene ends they will be stuck in the cut-scene room.

3. Before killing the mimic in chapter 3 everyone, except the main character, should save the game and then individually go and load the game in single player, kill the mimic, export their character after picking up the demon hand then rejoin the multiplayer game and help the main character kill the mimic. Everyone must have a demon hand to move on from that point.

4. In Cania (chapter 3) only the PC wearing the Sleeper's Ring will see the VFX but the "Astral" objects will appear for all players.

5. The "Ragged cloak of the Worg" ports henchmen to you but not PC party members (not really a big deal).

That's about it I think.

Soul Sojourner:
Sounds like more work than it's worth.

Elessar Telrunya:
Not really....I don't even remember the Ragged Cloak of the Worg, but 3, 4, and 5 don't sound like a big deal, especially since killing the mimic isn't too hard.  The only thing that's really obnoxious is number 1....I almost wonder why no one in the community hasn't bothered going through and replacing all of the unnecessary GetFirstPC() functions....then again, that would be rather painstaking, hehe....

420:

--- Quote from: Elessar Telrunya on February 20, 2009, 05:32:28 PM ---Not really....I don't even remember the Ragged Cloak of the Worg, but 3, 4, and 5 don't sound like a big deal, especially since killing the mimic isn't too hard.  The only thing that's really obnoxious is number 1....I almost wonder why no one in the community hasn't bothered going through and replacing all of the unnecessary GetFirstPC() functions....then again, that would be rather painstaking, hehe....

--- End quote ---
NWN XP2 (HotU) Multiplayer Modification by Ceros

cuchulann:
Also the same person needs to have both the senseis amulet and the sleeping man's ring, The ammy can be given to the wrong person if you are not careful thanks to the above mentioned scripting. Since they cannot be transferred they both have to be on that FirstPC, or else you'll be stuck right at the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version