Author Topic: Circuit City in trouble  (Read 10785 times)

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Circuit City in trouble
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:39:08 AM »
I found this article just now and was rly suprised. I didnt realize that Circuit City was that close to going bankrupt.

http://kotaku.com/5073448/sony-merch-bound-for-circuit-city-makes-u+turn-[updated]
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Circuit City in trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »
Yeah, retail electronic stores (Software Etc., Egghead, Electronics Boutique...) have been either dying off or going online due to the cost of running a non-warehouse style, local shop. I just hope the local mom and pop OEM computer store hear in SF doesn't pack up shop because of the online OEM competition. I mean, TigerDirect is cool and all but I like being able to walk down to a store and get some personal service.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »
Yeah, retail electronic stores (Software Etc., Egghead, Electronics Boutique...) have been either dying off or going online due to the cost of running a non-warehouse style, local shop. I just hope the local mom and pop OEM computer store hear in SF doesn't pack up shop because of the online OEM competition. I mean, TigerDirect is cool and all but I like being able to walk down to a store and get some personal service.

I love Newegg, been going there for years. There's no way I can deal with buying from computer stores! Never! Almost never anyway. Plus, for me anyway, there's no better option. I'd be better off paying shipping than driving to a larger nearby town just to shop for computer components, just to find they don't have what I need nor a large selection. I live rural Minnesota, 10 miles from a small town, 15 from a smaller one, and 25 from two smaller ones, I gotta go about 80 to get to the nearest city, Fargo. There's other large towns nearby, about 25 miles, for two different ones, but it's not worth going to any of them just for computer parts. Waste of gas. I'd be better off paying for shipping at Newegg.
For you though, I'm sure there's a lot more options in SF.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
For you though, I'm sure there's a lot more options in SF.
They are getting fewer every year. Comp USA just closed up at the end of last year and it sounds like the Circuit City will be gone soon, though they only carried console games anyway. Best Buy is the only location to get software now and that means taking public transportation with the sub-humans, pick pockets and junkie mutants.

This city was a pathetic shit hole when I moved here 15 years ago and it's just gotten worse. Now I have to go to Sacramento, Salinas or *shudder* San Jose to find any decent stores for any products. San Jose is closest but, as Cracker pointed out, it's not pleasant to even think about that city.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »
You don't sound like you much enjoy Cali life.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:49:33 PM »
I have always gone to Game Stop or Best Buy (both within 5 minutes form my house) for any games I buy.

There used to be a Comp USA and is a (but apparently not for long) Circuit City within a 10 minute drive in the other direction. Though I never even visit them. Also the nearby Target and Meijer carry software, though they arent worth thinking about.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »
I used to get away with buying from they stores when I worked in mall retail since EB (Later GameStop) and CompUSA were in the same mall. The best part was sometimes I actually got games a day or two before the release date. (nudge nudge, stop by my store and I'll slip you a discount) I always liked that if i bought it there i could take it home and actually intall the stuff that same day instead of waiting for delivery and paying extra for it. I ordered a game online a couple months ago that tourned out to be out of stock. It took over a month for me to finally recieve it and I was stunned when it finally showed up since I was given no clue when to expect it. A store employee could have given me an ETA.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »
Meh.  I never liked Circuit City since the whole DIVX fiasco.  Hope they burn.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 01:54:50 AM »
newegg.com?

Anyone? No? Ah, losers.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »
newegg.com?

Anyone? No? Ah, losers.

I love newegg.com

They finally opened a newegg.ca for us Canadians.  Only problem is that they are still shipping from the US.  So that means higher shipping prices and provincial taxes as it crosses the boarder here.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
And it finaly happened. Circuit City has filed for ch 11 bankruptcy

http://kotaku.com/5082302/circuit-city-files-for-bankruptcy-owes-898-million
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 12:08:26 AM »
I love newegg.com

They finally opened a newegg.ca for us Canadians.  Only problem is that they are still shipping from the US.  So that means higher shipping prices and provincial taxes as it crosses the boarder here.
Takes longer too.