Author Topic: AGP is Out; PCI-E is In  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
AGP is Out; PCI-E is In
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
No problem, it was 5:30 in the morning, I needed something to do. ^^ Until I went to Newegg and lost $200. lol.

How did you manage that?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:18:43 AM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mo need some expertise
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
By "lost" I meant 'made a purchase.' Finally bought a new video card and a new HDD, as well as a new PSU since it was only $20 @ 500W and I needed and update from my 300W Sparkle PSU. I stuck with ATI, but I migrated from Seagate since I found a good offer. I didn't want SATA, since my current PSU doesn't support it and I hadn't yet put the new PSU in my cart and didn't feel like dishing out extra for another sata cable and PSU Serial ATA adapter. (mostly because of added shipping cost.) So I should be expecting three packages from all over the states soon. (Cali, NJ, and TN great eh?) I needed more AC5 (thermal paste), as well as a couple of other smaller things, but I decided $200 was the limit for now. lol. Since I have a 4 yr old, aging AGP 4x/8x system, I have my limitations. However, I need no longer be forced to stay small because of my PSU. =D

Sorry for getting this off-topic. I am thoroughly excited to the possibility of my system running even half as nicely as it used to, and hopefully better! (since the video card is a definite upgrade) =)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
New video cards for AGP would be expensive I'd think.  AGP due to lack of demand should come at a premium.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »
New video cards for AGP would be expensive I'd think.  AGP due to lack of demand should come at a premium.
Actually the stores here in SF are trying to get the old AGP cards off the shelf ASAP. My friend got a GeForce 6800 (the only ones left) for $60. His GeForce 4400 burnt out and it was much cheaper than buying a new system.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:01:08 PM »
Nah. AGP is a dying standard. Some AGP cards will inevitably be expensive because they will be 'up-to-date' but these cards are no more expensive than their PCI-E equivalents.

Now PCI-E is becoming the mainstream. I built my system to use AGP about 4 years ago, so I'm looking at mostly older cards. Radeon 9250, 9550, 9800, X1650, etc. Obviously I didn't want anything less than what I have even if what I have is a broken piece of shit. So I'm going with an HIS Ati Radeon X1650 Pro card. I looked at two by Sapphire first, one reportedly had a fuck-ton of overheating issues, but was otherwise good, and the other was the same shit but had a whole new cooling unit. The second looked promising, but there were no reviews or ratings, I was going to go with that until I seen a cheap PSU and jumped on the nice looking HIS model. I was only turned away from that in the first place because of it's power needs. I don't have any PCI-E slots, so that's not much of an option, and my system is out of date, so I'm basically just getting a temporary installment to tie me over until I've got the time and money for a new gig.
My 40 GB HDD just aint doing it anymore; I find myself burning a lot of DVD's it seems... My PSU is great, it just can't support much more than what I got. I seen a good looking cheap one so I went with that so I am able to use a better card.

To be honest, there really isn't much of a selection in the AGP world anymore either. From what I seen, most of the Nvidia chipset selection was pretty crappy too. The best I could find was the ATI cards. It's not that way with PCI-E. I can only get so good a card in this system before having to upgrade the ENTIRE system. lol.

What 420 said about his friend holds true for me as well. It's just easier for me to buy an $80 dollar AGP card for an older system, than to build a whole new one. At the moment, I'll just hold off until I've got the dollars to spend on what I really want in a system. With audio being a whole new focus for me, it will probably be more expensive than the last time. I feel that if I am going to build a whole new system I might as well not feel any regret for holding off on a few things I want just to save some money and, instead, spend however much is needed for me to satisfy my needs and preferences.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »
AGP isn't dying it's dead. Long ago.

So looks like we have two topics way off topic now.  HeLL can you do some moderating please :)