Author Topic: Mo need some expertise  (Read 8530 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mo need some expertise
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »
What does it take to set up a forum like this?  I still have this Dell mail server kicking around and I'd like to use it for a forum/message board. What would I need as far as equipment and software and what does it cost monthly or weekly?  Just to tie me over I went to Free Forums and made an account there.  Would I be better off paying someone to run it?

Since I've dropped out of online gaming I've hiked 1600 miles of the Appalachian Trail and recently began volunteering at the local Audubon Center and Cooperative Extension program offered by the state university.  We're seriously lacking communication because it's all volunteer based people are on all different kinds of schedules and not everyone is from the same region so having a forum to post updates would be a great improvement.  Unfortunately they do not want a privately run website and the university requires the program to have a website through them. However no one said I couldn't do a forum.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Mo need some expertise
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »
I could host a forum for you here if you'd like.  You just need to supply the domain name and point it to this server.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:59 PM »
I was hoping you'd offer  :D  I really have no concept on how to go about doing this.  Of course purchasing a domain would be the first step and when I do that will there be an option to direct it to a website and or forum?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:28:26 AM »
All costs solely depend on you and what you're looking for. For just a forum you'd probably only need the least costly hosting package from whichever host you choose, unless you choose to be your own host or know someone willing to host for you, like Mo apparently will.

Domains are extremely cheap unless you really want one that has already been secured by some company looking to make a large profit by selling it. Usually you can find domains costing between $1-8 annually.
Also, the forum software itself may have certain costs, if you're looking for certain software in particular that just so happens to be costly. IPB, for instance, is $150, or $300 if you're interested in the extras. Otherwise, there is plenty of free software out there for forums that you wouldn't have to purchase or otherwise pirate to use.

I have personally found 1&1 to be an intriguing host, and had planned to go to them for domain name and hosting if I ever wanted to make a website. I've had this site bookmarked for quite awhile now.

Each host you find is going to have their own perks, it's really up to you what you want. Homestead, for instance, has it's own sitebuilder. A regular and lite version. Regular, for working in depth at home, or lite for making some changes while away from your personal computer. Some other hosts offer their own builder as well, and there's also software such as Microsoft FrontPage (I believe it's called Web Expression now though) which can help you build your site. (These are usually unnecessary when it comes to forums since the software for the forums itself is usually all you need to have if that is all that's going to be on your site.)

Since it sounds like Mo is going to help you out, it is probably irrelevant, but I figured I would give this info anyway, just in case you find some use for it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
lol Thanks HeLL for the explanation.  Personally I offered to host it for him to avoid having to write all that out cause I was lazy at the moment :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
I was hoping you'd offer  :D  I really have no concept on how to go about doing this.  Of course purchasing a domain would be the first step and when I do that will there be an option to direct it to a website and or forum?

Yes.  You'll just need to redirect the A record to 206.248.136.142

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
lol Thanks HeLL for the explanation.  Personally I offered to host it for him to avoid having to write all that out cause I was lazy at the moment :P
No problem, it was 5:30 in the morning, I needed something to do. ^^ Until I went to Newegg and lost $200. lol.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »
Cool I think I'll be meeting with my "boss" tomorrow and I'll run by the suggests to her.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »
For some reason I pegged you, Meclar, as a Cali person. If you live near the trail you're probably at most a few hundred miles from me, short of being on one far end or the other.

Just for curiositys sake, where do you live? Im near central Ohio.

(and maybe I just wanted to make this thread 3 ways off topic)
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
Or from me. :P If I see a guy hiking in a jacket and long pants with no boots on, I know its you!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »
Any update Meclar?

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »
No not yet.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »
We're checking to make sure the university is cool with a forum...the woman that runs the project was on vacation last week so I let her know today so I'll probably have an answer next week?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »
We're checking to make sure the university is cool with a forum...the woman that runs the project was on vacation last week so I let her know today so I'll probably have an answer next week?

Ok sounds good.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »
It looks like we're using the free forum until they decide it's ok to use a better one.  I don't think they understand that it doesn't make a difference. I should just go ahead with it anyway and if they find out that  we shouldn't have it, then shut it down.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 01:09:02 PM »
It looks like we're using the free forum until they decide it's ok to use a better one.  I don't think they understand that it doesn't make a difference. I should just go ahead with it anyway and if they find out that  we shouldn't have it, then shut it down.

Just let me know what you'd like to do.