GTA 4
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
Anyone get it?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GTA 4
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »
As soon as it comes out on the PC I'll get it.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
Im waiting for my next paycheck, so one more week. =(
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:13:49 PM »
Im waiting for my next paycheck, so one more week. =(

That's what credit cards are for!

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »
My roomate got it. He says the driving is harder than the series 3 ones.  Everything in it is very shiny until you start crashing into stuff.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 04:04:04 AM »
It's totally sweet, I'm addicted!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »
I think its something in the water, but once Americans get that idea in their heads it tends to end poorly for them, and well for the lenders. Its always a good thought to make sure you have the money before you spend it. I dont like the idea of paying interest.

I have seen my friend play GTA 4, and it definatly looks like the best of the series.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 03:16:44 AM »
I dont like the idea of paying interest.

Thats what interest free periods are for!

This GTA is looking like its definatly going to be the best. I hope they do port it over to the PC in the future.. But I will be buying a PS3 for Metal Gear.. so.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:11:54 AM »
Guns of the Patriots, FF XIII, and Tekken 6 make me drool!

And who knows, maybe Killzone 2, Yakuza 3, Haze, and White Knight Chronicals might turn out to be decent as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:28:51 AM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 08:03:29 PM »
Got it the day it came out and played the piss out of it. I feel as though I am one of the only people who was sorely disappointed with it. A lot of things were sweet, but I was not impressed over all.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
Got it the day it came out and played the piss out of it. I feel as though I am one of the only people who was sorely disappointed with it. A lot of things were sweet, but I was not impressed over all.
GTA 4 came in the mail yesterday and you aren't the only one disappointed.

First, I installed the game and it tells me I need to make a Rockstar Games Social Club account, which I do. Then it tells me I need to make a Windows LIVE account and "link" the two accounts. Which I just ignore because I think Windows LIVE is malware. Then I installed the newest patch.

I start the game up and I get some pretty cool opening cinematics followed by some tutorial-style missions that are meant to get me familiar with the interface. So I learn to drive, I watch some TV, figure out how the phone works, buy some new clothes and go bowling. So far so good, the only complaint i have at this point is that, even with "mouse sensitivity" turned all the way down, I am either always looking straight up or straight down, which makes driving/walking somewhat difficult.

Then I get the first mission where I actually have to learn how the fight interface works. I go into a park and fight a couple thugs, they do some damage but I beat them despite the needlessly complicated controls (hold down right-click while pressing the left-click, q,  r and space buttons). Then I have to immediately jump into a car and follow a third thug (if you don't follow him you fail the quest and have to do it over). So I follow him halfway across town to a warehouse where he stabs me in the face and I die because I'm so low on health from the first two fights.

I try the mission 3 more times with the exact same result. So, after only an hour or so of gameplay I am stuck (there is no difficulty setting). What a waste of $50.

Oh, and, when you go to save (which can only be done by using the bed and sleeping for 6 hours) the game tells me I need a Windows LIVE account in order to save. This is complete crap because you can choose to "log in offline" using the Social Club account, they are just trying to trick you into making a Windows LIVE account. And who in the fuck thought it was a good idea to require the player to log into an online service in order to save their single player game locally?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:59:40 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
Wow that Windows LIVE crap really sounds annoying.  You should complain.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
Can it really be that the PC version is even worse than the Xbox version!?

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
Can it really be that the PC version is even worse than the Xbox version!?
I'd believe it. The PC version of Vice City wouldn't draw some of the scenery sometimes, and so you were fequently crashing into invisible objects. This was with the draw distance set to maximum even.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
I'd believe it. The PC version of Vice City wouldn't draw some of the scenery sometimes, and so you were fequently crashing into invisible objects. This was with the draw distance set to maximum even.

No doubt that the PC ports are lower quality.  I do not think Rockstar is involved in porting the game.  Plus the game was developed with a console controller in mind not a mouse/keyboard.  I would expect it to be more difficult to play on a PC.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »
I would expect it to be more difficult to play on a PC.
In that case I have to disagree. At least in MY situation. As I have a PC controller and I can and do use keyboard and mouse emulators in any game of my choosing to make a control set however I want it. That means opening menu's, saving/loading games, w/e I want with my controller even in games that support controllers but still don't allow you to open menu's with them. (keyboard emulator, baby!)

So I can basically use any key for anything I want and same goes for the mouse buttons, or I can use a controller. This is why I think PC games are easier to play, because I have any number of options compared to being stuck with one thing.

The absolute toughest game I have ran across to switch the controls is GunZ. The default is the default for good reason, and while there are various flaws in it... I've not been able to find a better control set ever... not even with a PC controller... which made gameplay even more difficult to my surprise.
The only other game that challenged me was The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. While it was made for consoles as well, on PC it supports a PC controller, but you can't open certain menu's with it (such as esc menu) or control your mouse (bummer). This one is challenging not because of the menu's (ezpz), but because of the mouse. Using a mouse/controller combo is fucked. Since you have to control the mouse to click things. This is a case where I needed both emulators and had to extra-configure the controls. Mind you, I soon said, "fuck it it's easier to use the keyboard and mouse."

I've never tried using a controller with NWN though... sometimes there is an "absolutely ridiculous" point you can reach.

I personally enjoyed all of the GTA's that I have played except for one. GTA IV. That sucked fucking ass and there's no part of me that believes otherwise. It had one thing I found interesting and cool about it. The driving system. Too bad Saints Row ONE puts the game to shame. <IMO>

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 11:43:50 AM »

Yeah sure look were it got us now Economic crisis.....
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »
Yeah sure look were it got us now Economic crisis.....
Where it got us? I thought you lived in Europe and Mo lives in Canada? Are your countries in a shit-hole too!?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
Where it got us? I thought you lived in Europe and Mo lives in Canada? Are your countries in a shit-hole too!?

No.  Canada has one of the strongest banking systems in the industrialized world!