Author Topic: Moses was high on drugs  (Read 6499 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Moses was high on drugs
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
Alright, let's try not to let this turn into a religious discussion. Let's keep the topic limited to something sane, like ancient mind-bending psychedelic drugs and their use in the development of early societies.

Moses was high on drugs: Israeli researcher

Tue Mar 4, 7:02 AM ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) - High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Re: Moses was high on drugs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »
I *knew* there was a way to get high off of acacia trees when I was a kid, but I could never convince the neighbor kid to try smoking the leaves - looks like it wouldn't have worked.....

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:23:56 PM »
Since we'll never know for sure what happened some 3000 years ago it's always nice to speculate but truth probably will never come to light.
Personally the simplest explanation is that Moses was not high on anything.  He simply did what was necessary to free, unite and give law to a new nation.  Ancient history's broken telephone and poetic license took care of the rest of the story.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
If I was freeing a nation of people and I walked past an acacia tree you'd bet I'd grab me a handful bark. Get some of that ambrosia and make a sandwich out of it.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:35:21 AM »
I'm a little more interested in what's gunna happen tomorrow! Ooh, and Easter... food... *drools*

Oh yeah, on topic... uhh.. trees are bad! Uh, no I mean drugs. Yeah. Elves. Eugh. Tree-hugging elven piece of- yeah, just.. nevermind.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
At least this didnt happen to Moses.

[attachment deleted by admin]
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
ROFL