Author Topic: Ten Golden Rules of Japanese RPGs  (Read 5772 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Ten Golden Rules of Japanese RPGs
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
Ten golden rules of Japanese RPGs

2: Everybody in the main party has a sword, even if everyone else has guns:

It might not be logical, but this is a genre where steampunk robots can fight purple dragons -- sod your bloody logic! Even if the game is set in a dystopian future full of clanking death wagons and engines of wanton destruction, your main party of heroes must always be willing to match their bullets with a flash of cold, hard steel. If you don't think a skinny emo with a sword is enough to stop a ten story tall walking tank with railguns, missile launchers and a scorpion tail, then you're an idiot. They did that shit all the time in Vietnam.

For extra realism, try and make the swords ten feet tall, or at least the size of a Shetland pony. Despite their huge size, your girly-armed characters must be able to wield such meaty blades as if they were lighter than swan feathers with helium balloons tied to them. Again, see 'Nam for historical reference. 

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ten Golden Rules of Japanese RPGs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »
Soon as I read 'scorpion tail' I knew they were aiming at FF7 and sure enough, soon as i click the link I see Cloud.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »
He was referencing all the FF series in the article.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
I love sarcasm.  Thanks for the link 420.  :-)

- Mel