Author Topic: Pot Slows Cancer  (Read 10279 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
Original Article
Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube
Marijuana Ingredients Slow Invasion by Cervical and Lung Cancer Cells
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Dec. 26, 2007 -- THC and another marijuana-derived compound slow the spread of cervical and lung cancers, test-tube studies suggest.

The new findings add to the fast-growing number of animal and cell-culture studies showing different anticancer effects for cannabinoids, chemical compounds derived from marijuana.

Cannabinoids, and sometimes marijuana itself, are currently used to lessen the nausea and pain experienced by many cancer patients. The new findings -- yet to be proven in human studies -- suggest that cannabinoids may have a direct anticancer effect.

"Cannabinoids' ... potential therapeutic benefit in the treatment of highly invasive cancers should be addressed in clinical trials," conclude Robert Ramer, PhD, and Burkhard Hinz, PhD, of the University of Rostock, Germany.

Might cannabinoids keep dangerous tumors from spreading throughout the body? Ramer and Hinz set up an experiment in which invasive cervical and lung cancer cells had make their way through a tissue-like gel. Even at very low concentrations, the marijuana compounds THC and methanandamide (MA) significantly slowed the invading cancer cells.

Doses of THC that reduce pain in cancer patients yield blood concentrations much higher than the concentrations needed to inhibit cancer invasion.

"Thus the effects of THC on cell invasion occurred at therapeutically relevant concentrations," Ramer and Hinz note.

The researchers are quick to point out that much more study is needed to find out whether these test-tube results apply to tumor growth in animals and in humans.

Ramer and Hinz report the findings in the Jan. 2, 2008 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

SOURCES: Ramer, R, and Hinz, B. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Jan. 2, 2008; vol 100: pp. 59-69.
© 2007 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »
Just find a way to get high without inhaling too much smoke.  I hear vaporizing pot is the way to go.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNG9GDBBLK1.DTL

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
Doesn't slow anything if I don't have cancer.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
Just find a way to get high without inhaling too much smoke.  I hear vaporizing pot is the way to go.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNG9GDBBLK1.DTL
[snapback]39002[/snapback]

Vaporizing pwns. :)
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »
Hasn't this knowledge been around for years? I recall reading up about this almost two years ago. Specifically brain cancer. The consensus was... because cells are what become cancerous, smoking pot and therefore killing off tons of brain cells, prevents cancer by essentially murdering your brain... Wow. Just bang your head on a wall, multiple times, you'll slow it down all right. As for slowing it down after getting it... well I suppose killing cells would be a way of slowing it down if the cells were cancerous, huh? I bet a squirrel could figure that out. Actually, anything that kills off cells is going to be a cancer prevention/treatment... who gave these guys their jobs anyway?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:51:02 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
Hasn't this knowledge been around for years? I recall reading up about this almost two years ago. Specifically brain cancer. The consensus was... because cells are what become cancerous, smoking pot and therefore killing off tons of brain cells, prevents cancer by essentially murdering your brain... Wow. Just bang your head on a wall, multiple times, you'll slow it down all right. As for slowing it down after getting it... well I suppose killing cells would be a way of slowing it down if the cells were cancerous, huh? I bet a squirrel could figure that out. Actually, anything that kills off cells is going to be a cancer prevention/treatment... who gave these guys their jobs anyway?
[snapback]39005[/snapback]

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/healthmyths.html

Read up on things before you post retarded posts. Pot does NOT kill brain cells, that was just stupid ass government propaganda.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31:54 PM »
Read up on things before you post retarded posts. Pot does NOT kill brain cells, that was just stupid ass government propaganda.
[snapback]39006[/snapback]
Don't blame HeLL just because he believes everything he has ever been told at a D.A.R.E. rally.

Recent studies have also shown that marijuana can aggravate symptoms of mental illness in persons with schizophrenic tendencies. At least four studies - in Australia, Sweden, New Zealand and the Netherlands - have found that early, repeated use of cannabis is associated with exacerbation of schizophrenia in young patients so inclined (Source: British Medical Journal "Cannabis and Mental Health." 23 Nov 2002). Marijuana is therefore generally disrecommended for schizophrenics, though it may also occasionally be medically useful for treatment of certain schizophrenic symptoms.
Sweet, I get a free bonus for smoking it! Bet you non-schizophrenics are jealous!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:34:40 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 03:46:47 AM »
http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/healthmyths.html
[snapback]39006[/snapback]
Wait wait wait... let me get this straight...

You are essentially telling me not to believe everything I read, by disproving what I've read with something you've read? Hahaha. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Retarded? Wow, fantastic word choice! :lol:

Apart from that bit of hypocrisy, I am not responsible for your assumption that my post of 'relayed' information is as simple as a lack of intellectual fore-thought. Cutting out my mockery of both pieces of information in my post, you specifically address the part of my post where I post a summary of information that came from elsewhere, and then proceed to proclaim the post itself as retarded, due to a lack of 'correct' facts and pre-reading. However, the information itself was provided to mock both sets of information and point out the contradiction between the two. As for pre-reading, I clearly stated the information *I* provided was from somewhere else approximately two years prior, and NEVER said any of it was fact. There is also no way for you to know I didn't read up on it or know other information. If someone makes a post and tells you that their car stereo is broken but don't tell you that their battery is dead, that doesn't mean they don't know their battery is dead, they simply didn't provide that information. As I said, I'm not responsible for your assumptions. ;)

Pot does NOT kill brain cells, that was just stupid ass government propaganda.
Really now? Would you be so kind as to show me your laboratory results as well as proof of the governments.. 'propaganda,' as you so humbly put it?

There are articles out there on various topics and subjects that will tell you one thing, and then other articles that will tell you that those things are not true. I'm supposed to read and agree with the same article/s you read and agreed with? It's not about facts, I have yet to see any facts on the subject. It's about what piece of persuasive writing (crap) you choose to agree with. I'm not completely persuaded that any one of them is right, and I doubt I ever will be. I don't even care enough to be, but that's what makes it fun. However, whenever I feel like it, I'm sure to point out a clear contradiction of provided 'research' (facts, opinions, what have you) between different articles and media misinformation when I see fit.

Now, with what 420 posted you'll notice how there is absolutely no mention as to HOW it slows cancer. It seems like it's about to reveal that little detail at certain points in the article, but then it just drops off and smoothes it over with more crap. They even act as if it's ability to slow cancer is in question, but then they follow that with some experiment and make it sound as though that bit of information is enough to make it true. Yet throughout the article, it notes everything is still purely a theory and not yet proven in few words.
Might cannabinoids keep dangerous tumors from spreading throughout the body? Ramer and Hinz set up an experiment in which invasive cervical and lung cancer cells had make their way through a tissue-like gel. Even at very low concentrations, the marijuana compounds THC and methanandamide (MA) significantly slowed the invading cancer cells.

Without making a clear statement outright that everything in the article is just a 'possibility' and not a certainty, so that those who do not read every detail will be fooled, the article contains several points where it says that nothing is yet certain, or proven. Just the type of thing you would see written in a newspaper to catch the eyes of readers. Studies SUGGEST.... Yet to be PROVEN... etc. etc. etc. They like to put it in a way where they can get people to be interested in it, read it and believe it, while still putting it down in a way where they don't actually say it's a fact, or that it's true.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:50:15 AM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »

You are essentially telling me not to believe everything I read, by disproving what I've read with something you've read?
[snapback]39008[/snapback]
Oh, so you read it somewhere eh? Please post a link to your information, as Mercy was so kind to do, so we can compare sources.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:00:45 PM by 420 »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »

You are essentially telling me not to believe everything I read, by disproving what I've read with something you've read? Hahaha. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Why, yes I am.

Please post a link with information like 420 said, I certainly did. IT has been said for quite a few years now that pot is harmless in small to medium doses. Now if you SMOKE a ridiculous amount of pot all the time, sure there will be bad things happening from the smoke. But, there are other ways to use marijuana.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »
Oh, so you read it somewhere eh? Please post a link to your information, as Mercy was so kind to do, so we can compare sources.

[snapback]39009[/snapback]
I believe I said it was two years ago. Nor would I care; I do not smoke it. It doesn't concern me, what concerns me is anything I can get a laugh out of, thus far I've been decently humored. I think I read the article in school, I wouldn't know where they got it either. Though they probably printed it off from the net somewhere, I don't know that for sure, and don't really care either. It was your assumption that I read it on the internet, or that I would even remember something so meaningless to me over a course of two-years in the form of a source for information it's surprising I remember in the first place. :lol: Sure, that does happen, but just because it happens doesn't mean it happens with everything or often even.

Why, yes I am.
Hypocritical statements only serve to humor me. :)

Now, I'm off to finish checking forums and when I am done, probably play Mastermind with my fiance. I'll be happy to read any other comments that might amuse me after I return but, in the event that there are no replies at all, I should state ahead of time that

and

P.S. Drugs are bad for you! :lol:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:35:10 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Though they probably printed it off from the net somewhere, I don't know that for sure, and don't really care either. It was your assumption that I read it on the internet, or that I would even remember something so meaningless to me over a course of two-years in the form of a source for information it's surprising I remember in the first place.
[snapback]39014[/snapback]
Translation: "I made it all up in my head."

P.S. Drugs are bad for you!
[snapback]39014[/snapback]
Maybe, but how do you explain how you got so fucked up?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:19:59 PM »
Translation: "I made it all up in my head."

Maybe, but how do you explain how you got so fucked up?

[snapback]39015[/snapback]
So what you're really saying is: "I've smoked myself stupid. That's why I can't understand... Hallucinations aren't hard for me, they come naturally." Ooooh! What else will you tell us about yourself?

Yeah, I can play childish games too. :lol:

My mother's side of the family. By the way, my mother, aunt, uncle, grandma, my other aunt (all aunts and uncles are half-siblings to my mother) have all tried and still use various forms of drugs... and I'm focusing mostly on the illegal kinds. Although most are frequent pot smokers, including my mother, most also no longer use the worse kinds. However, I'm sure one aunt and one uncle still use a couple of the worse kinds at least occasionally. All the drugs are including but not limited to cocaine, marijuana, heroine, acid, meth, and mushrooms. Yes, the list does go on, but those are some of the more common ones. Of course, alcohol and tobacco as well, but I did not list those for obvious reasons. This is one reason I have never done drugs, as it is likely that it is in my blood for addictions to be strong and hard to break away from.

You may assume that the drugs play a part in this entire side of my family being fucked up if you like, but I think that is only a small contributor. I think that it only contributes per individual who uses on this side of the family, it simply fucks them up more where they were already fucked up to begin with.

So now that I've explained my speculation as to why I am so fucked up, why are you?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:23:14 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:58:11 PM »
Yeah, I can play childish games too.
[snapback]39016[/snapback]
Accusing you of propagating complete fabrications by trying to pass them off as facts is hardly childish. In fact it's just another day on LM when HeLL's raving opinions are shot full of holes.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
raving opinions are shot full of holes.

[snapback]39019[/snapback]
The sock gnomes that live in my dryer mated with my neighbors rainbow lawn flamingos and with the help of a mutant fence pole have devised a way to make strawberry swimsuits out of earthworms and molasses. Hence showing that .3019 + green = a stuffed rhinoceros .
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »
The sock gnomes that live in my dryer mated with my neighbors rainbow lawn flamingos and with the help of a mutant fence pole have devised a way to make strawberry swimsuits out of earthworms and molasses. Hence showing that .3019 + green = a stuffed rhinoceros .
[snapback]39020[/snapback]

And who said pot kills brain cells?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »
Accusing you of propagating complete fabrications by trying to pass them off as facts is hardly childish. In fact it's just another day on LM when HeLL's raving opinions are shot full of holes.

[snapback]39019[/snapback]
I don't know, man... saying someone said something different than what they actually said on purpose and as a means of mockery sounds pretty childish to me. :lol:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:13:50 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Chard!

Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »

HAHA GTFO!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »
HAHA GTFO!
[snapback]39028[/snapback]
Heh, sweet! I was at a loss for responses to HeLL's insanity. Thanks for coming up with the perfect reply!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Heh, sweet! I was at a loss for responses to HeLL's insanity. Thanks for coming up with the perfect reply!

[snapback]39029[/snapback]
Genius is rarely understood. :D (Thanks for that one, Mo.)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »
Genius is rarely understood.
[snapback]39030[/snapback]
The same could be said for insanity.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
The same could be said for insanity.

[snapback]39031[/snapback]
Unless you use High-Low Method on a pickled lightbulb
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »
Unless you use High-Low Method on a pickled lightbulb
[snapback]39032[/snapback]
Of course, of course. Say, if you mix a tomato and a squirrel in a blender, how old would that make me? :huh:

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
Of course, of course. Say, if you mix a tomato and a squirrel in a blender, how old would that make me? :huh:
[snapback]39033[/snapback]
At least maybe a quarter of my laundry's liquid age in cryptograms divided by the product displacement of a field dressed cat with a dash of Pillsbury dough children on the southern diaphragm of its wandering genitals
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:48:28 PM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pot Slows Cancer
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
How many ovens are in that cat's rectum anyway?