Author Topic: Double Crash! Vid Card + OS  (Read 4433 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Double Crash! Vid Card + OS
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
So my nVidia GeForce 7900 video card that has been slowly dying for the past 6 months finally kicked the bucket last night and destroyed Win XP's registry in the process.

Had to reinstall the OS and I just now got internet access going. Ugh, pain in the ass!

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
So thats what happened.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »
I bet it was HGL memory leak issues what broke your graphic card... wouldnt surprise me :o

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »
I bet it was HGL memory leak issues what broke your graphic card... wouldnt surprise me :o
[snapback]38947[/snapback]
Nah it's actually the design of the Dell tower.

There is a huge open space in the back for ventilation that also lets in a TON of dust. That wouldn't be much of a problem except that their cases mount the motherboard on the opposite side of a normal computer so the video card's heatsink/fan and gpu are all facing upwards instead of downwards so all the dust just settles right into the sensitive components.

That will teach me to buy a computer that I didn't build myself.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »
Nah it's actually the design of the Dell tower.

There is a huge open space in the back for ventilation that also lets in a TON of dust. That wouldn't be much of a problem except that their cases mount the motherboard on the opposite side of a normal computer so the video card's heatsink/fan and gpu are all facing upwards instead of downwards so all the dust just settles right into the sensitive components.

That will teach me to buy a computer that I didn't build myself.

[snapback]38948[/snapback]

Interesting.  A friend of mine had multiple Vid card conk out on him too.  Geforce 7800/7900s.  His case mounted stuff upside down as well.  Thanks for helping me figure out that problem!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
Interesting.  A friend of mine had multiple Vid card conk out on him too.  Geforce 7800/7900s.  His case mounted stuff upside down as well.  Thanks for helping me figure out that problem!
[snapback]38949[/snapback]
Shit, that's something I HAVE to be constantly aware of whenever I build a pc, because there's alot of fucking dust living right off a dirt road. It's problematic, so I always keep my computer fans and design in mind.

Wish they'd just fucking pave the road, it's a bitch in winter too, because of the snow.