Author Topic: Tabula Rasa  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« on: November 10, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »
So got today Tabula Rasa together with a game card, yes again a MMORPG that's pay2play so Mo you can skip this post hehe ;)

Anyway i got the game yesterday but didn't get the gamecard so I officially played today and I gotta say i'm quite suprised with this game, I can actually say that this MMORPG is different then any others and i'm gonna explain why.
First off the story, so in short a alien force called Bane came to earth and want's to kill the human race, the humans flee to other planets to unite with other aliens and kick the Bane's ass.
So you start off creating a chr with a first and last name all other chr you create will automaticly have the same last name, and the name program won't allow you to put in numbers or the same letter twice in a row so no more names like "l33t" or "Sasukeeeee" lol.

Moving on the actually gameplay....why is this game intresting, well for starters it's played out in different planets, as you do missions you will move to other planets wich all are intresting and the graphics are great!
the class tree is intresting as well all start as a recruit at lvl 5 you can make a choice between soldier and specialst and as you level up you make more choices wich "end class" you'll be (till lvl 50 i think)
another intresting aspect is the fighting there are swords, but more intresting are the guns you get here you actually aim with your mouse to shoot the aliens (like gunz).
And the most intresting aspect of this are the Logo's.
What the hell are Logo's? well here it is, it's actually a other word for "magic" in the game, you see Logo's is a legacy that a alien race left for us and now people are born that are able to harness and use that power.
There are different Logo's in the world of Tabula Rasa and get this, there are even Rare Logo's that only strong players can get or unique Logo's that are strong etc, There are instances that have strong unique Logo's and that's the reward for people that complete the Instance.

Offcourse there's also the standard elite, unique armor and weapons like other MMORPG, another different view is that weapons deteoriate after time so if you are using the same weapon for some time there's a good chance that it will keep jamming etc and you need a new one.

Then there's the crafting system can't say much of this cuz I haven't tried it out yet, anyway i'll update this thread when I play more but here's the official website.

Richard Gariott's Tabula Rasa

Have fun!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »
I was in the closed beta of this game, it was way better in the beta though... it was fast paced and easy to lvl but they changed their mind and turned it into another long term mmorpg, turned down the xp rate to less than half and changed the xp multiplier that appears when youre killing lots of mobs, first it was xp x2,x3,x4,x5,x6 so you could get lots of xp but now its something like 20%, 30%... and there was a huge decrease on the drop rate aswell anyways its a very good game though but i really didnt like the massive nerfing on the xp and drops, and btw dont go guardian the staffs suck bad (i was lvl 36 or so guardian), but the RPG launchers own (unless they nerfed them too). Maybe ill get it someday or maybe not :P.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:47:45 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
Allright a little update on the game.

Been playing for like a hour or so, did a couple of sidequests atm, nothing of the main missions just to see how the sidequests were and I gotta say again I am suprised, the side quests are really different, nothing like kill this many, or find that guy or whatever, this one time I had to salvage medical things, now I have to kill a boss alien to get ammo for the encampment, but what I liked most was, one time I had a quest to arrest a desserter, now when I came where the desserter was I had a choice, either I arrested him or I could aid him in escaping, I choose to aid him.
The point is I never had this kind of choice in MMORPG's lol.

The leveling is a bit of long, but I like slow leveling it gives you more a acomplished feeling when you get to that level.
Also what they did for spawning the enemy was intresting too.
You'll never see the enemy spawn before you out of nowhere nope, you'll see a big alien dropship before your eyes dropping of alien enemies, or enemies willd drop off trees to try to ambush you.
Just now I was doing a quest i'm running happily with my gun in my hands when all of a sudden this big dropship comes out and drops out aliens before me and immeadiatly this other players come from the flanks aiding me and again another alien dropship and another one and another one in a short time we all were doing a heavy battlefield battle guns shooting everywhere, Logos magic everything it was really a sight to see really awesome and fun, what was fun to see the last party of aliens started to run away when we massacered all of them we all running behind them and shooting their chicken asses hehehe really fun after that we were all standing there in midst of the battlefield just talking a bit and then going all our own way.
Now that's what I like in MMORPG's lol it was really fun, the AI is also good i must say alien enemies try to move a lot or try to look for shelter like behind a rock, since you must aim yourself to shoot them they have better AI or like that last party saw we were to strong they started running in hope to survive (lol).

anyway more updates coming as I play the game!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Chard!

Tabula Rasa
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »
Jesus, how do you people gather enough money to buy all those freaking games and then manage to pay for them over a monthly schedule aswell? It's crazy. I set my focus on maybe 1 or 2 games every 3 months. I know I won't have the money to afford other great games I've seen in that time.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
Hmmm maybe because we have a job? xD, i didnt pay for tabula rasa though, i played it like 3 months or more in the closed beta (free), i loved the game and i probably would have bought it if they didnt pull off that complete xp/drop nerf, maybe ill buy it when im bored or something but that wont be any soon i think, since ive played it already hehe.

Btw, go comando at lvl 15 is the best class (unless they nerfed RPG launchers that is) and get rage to lvl 5 it owns :P, i know they nerfed lightning so dont bother too much with it... i always wanted to make a spy but rangers take like double time to lvl, since you can only hit one mob while comandos rpg launcher hits everything around, rangers do have one AoE skill but it sucks (unless it was changed from the last part of the beta).
Though they could be more balanced now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:33:32 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »
Jesus, how do you people gather enough money to buy all those freaking games and then manage to pay for them over a monthly schedule aswell? It's crazy. I set my focus on maybe 1 or 2 games every 3 months. I know I won't have the money to afford other great games I've seen in that time.
[snapback]38486[/snapback]

lol cuz of a job I get paid good for the job I do i explained what my job is in here
my job

Hmmm maybe because we have a job? xD, i didnt pay for tabula rasa though, i played it like 3 months or more in the closed beta (free), i loved the game and i probably would have bought it if they didnt pull off that complete xp/drop nerf, maybe ill buy it when im bored or something but that wont be any soon i think, since ive played it already hehe.

Btw, go comando at lvl 15 is the best class (unless they nerfed RPG launchers that is) and get rage to lvl 5 it owns :P, i know they nerfed lightning so dont bother too much with it... i always wanted to make a spy but rangers take like double time to lvl, since you can only hit one mob while comandos rpg launcher hits everything around, rangers do have one AoE skill but it sucks (unless it was changed from the last part of the beta).
Though they could be more balanced now.
[snapback]38489[/snapback]

dunno I wanna go with spy since they can use swords as weapons :D

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »
i finally found a way to take and post screenies w00t here are two of TR

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:39:54 PM »
I had some screenshots too but i didnt post them for that NDA stuff that some closed betas have.

Staffs look cool but they sucked pretty bad in the beta, also theres an example of a comando's cannon devastation xD, RPG(rocket propelled grenades) launchers are about the same but with lowered dmg and you can shot 4 consecutive grenades b4 reloading, i leveled pretty fast hoarding mobs and killing them with rage lvl 5 + rpg launcher, lightning and the berserk xp bonus (you should have noticed that when you kill a certain number of consecutive mobs a multiplier appears between quickslots), though it was much more of a bonus before, the x6 multiplier now its like the x2 in the beta i think.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:05:43 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:39:21 AM »
nice armor you have there on your first screenie i like it.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:11:51 AM »
Its the normal ranger armor you can get at lvl 15, since each class uses different armor (you can still use the armors from your previous classes)

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 01:40:35 PM »
Last night done a instance in TR man that was intense shit, here are some screens

on my way to the instance there was apparantly a full battle between the bane and the humans wagins so I decided to join the fun

the group getting "locked and loaded" for the instance lol

sometimes you can see the dev's were inspired by starship troopers

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »
I bought the game like a week ago and im almost lvl 25 ranger now :) only 5 lvls to be able to change to spy ive seen some ppl with the blades and they look so cool, do you still play? im Benihime in TR EU server.

Chard!

Tabula Rasa
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »
I'm never ever gonna play another MMORPG in my life... Except if they make FFXI free... =D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:14:40 PM by Chard! »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
I bought the game like a week ago and im almost lvl 25 ranger now :) only 5 lvls to be able to change to spy ive seen some ppl with the blades and they look so cool, do you still play? im Benihime in TR EU server.
[snapback]38773[/snapback]

lol nope i don't play it anymore.....i'm doing LOTRO online atm....

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 07:26:21 PM »
I'm never ever gonna play another MMORPG in my life... Except if they make FFXI free... =D
[snapback]38777[/snapback]
Good for you! :lol:

But why? :huh:

Chard!

Tabula Rasa
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
Good for you! :lol:

But why? :huh:
[snapback]38784[/snapback]

Because I'm getting fucking sick of them. It's always the same story. I think you know the story.

In the end you'll always realize that all you did was a waste of time.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »
[snapback]38788[/snapback]
But all games (video or otherwise) are a waste of time. That's what we do on this shitball of a planet, fight, fuck and waste time!

Chard!

Tabula Rasa
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
Correct. But there are good ways to waste time and bad ways. Playing MMORPG's is a bad way.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
Thats is if you play free mmorpgs because in the end theyre all the same... i think thats what you played mostly because you either cant or dont want to pay a monthly fee and by that i dont mean all p2p games are worth it, but a few ones really are.

In the end its all about to our own likes and dislikes... btw i wanted to buy FFXI but a lot of ppl said that it sucks and its a waste of time though i really like final fantasy stuff so i dont know whats wrong in the game for them as i never played it and theres no trial for it :/, i watched some trailers and it seemed really cool for me but well after that lots and i mean LOTS of ppl said that it sucks so now i dont know what to do... maybe it takes ages to lvl or it has no char custumization or it lacks something?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 03:22:58 PM by tyrael084 »

Chard!

Tabula Rasa
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 01:37:52 AM »
Most P2P MMORPG's really aren't that different from the free ones. =P And I'm not talking about the graphics or anything.

I heard FFXI reeaaaaly sucked at first but they fixed it all throught patches and patches and patches, and now it rocks everyone's socks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:04:44 AM by Chard! »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tabula Rasa
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 02:37:18 AM »
Because I'm getting fucking sick of them. It's always the same story. I think you know the story.

[snapback]38788[/snapback]
Indeed.

Now you understand what I've been saying for the longest time.

I have, do, and always will find regular rpg's far more rewarding, especially the good ones. The stories and play can fill you with emotion and when all is said and done, it can be like reading a really powerful book or watching an extremely touching movie. Except I think a game has the potential to reach to a deeper level than any of them. Because you're literally in the story. You interact.

MMORPG's leave me feeling bored and wondering why I'm wasting my time. I sit there and kill shit over and over, and over. Nothing stays dead, I only kill to get certain items or experience, only so that I become more capable of doing exactly what I've been doing. The ultimate goal and reward? What goal? To be as capable of it as possible to.. keep doing it for... nothing? Reward? Nothing?

Whatever. If people want to use their time doing nothing, that's fine, but I would prefer doing nothing with a purpose at least. Though that would make it something, wouldn't it?