Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 12925 times)

Chard!

The Witcher
« on: October 23, 2007, 06:19:02 AM »
This game seems pretty good. Have a look at the "trailer":

link

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »
I've been watching this game being developed for a few years now. Looks interesting but why did it take so long to complete a game built on the original NWN engine?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »
I've been watching this game being developed for a few years now. Looks interesting but why did it take so long to complete a game built on the original NWN engine?

[snapback]38166[/snapback]

Long? This is no time.  I'm still waiting for Duke Nukem: Forever

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
I would say something about Starcraft 2 but its coming out next year! w00t!
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Chard!

The Witcher
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
It's built on the NWN engine? That's pretty neat info.

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
I bought the game today and all I can tell you guys it's that it RoCkS!!! i would love to post some screenies but can't lol...
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »
why can't you?

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
why can't you?
[snapback]38221[/snapback]

can't find where they are being saved it's a pitty, my laptop runs the game with everything on max settings and it runs sooooooooooooooooo smooth :D
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:24:13 PM »
Because he's a nub! :P
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:02:32 PM »
can't find where they are being saved it's a pitty, my laptop runs the game with everything on max settings and it runs sooooooooooooooooo smooth :D
[snapback]38222[/snapback]
First thing, check for a Witcher folder in your My Folders directory. It's a stupid fucking Vista convention that stores user settings, saves, screenshots and other game info in a separate directory than where the game is installed.

Because that's what we really need is to go back to the old 286 DOS days when programs installed into 5 or 6 different directories under the root.

Anyway, if you still can't find them just use Shift + Print Screen and paste it into paint or gimp2 or some other graphic program and save as a jpg.

About Witcher running so smoothly, makes you wonder why Obsidian did such a shitty job on a game that was also based on the NWN engine.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:03:40 PM by 420 »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 04:10:11 PM »
Oh i though this game was coming out one day b4 hellgate but seems i can "get" it already :0.

420 you know the answer already... because obsidian sucks, or that ramdom generated name guy wanted to mess up nwn2 on purpose lol.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:16:06 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »
First thing, check for a Witcher folder in your My Folders directory. It's a stupid fucking Vista convention that stores user settings, saves, screenshots and other game info in a separate directory than where the game is installed.

Because that's what we really need is to go back to the old 286 DOS days when programs installed into 5 or 6 different directories under the root.

Anyway, if you still can't find them just use Shift + Print Screen and paste it into paint or gimp2 or some other graphic program and save as a jpg.

About Witcher running so smoothly, makes you wonder why Obsidian did such a shitty job on a game that was also based on the NWN engine.

[snapback]38225[/snapback]

nope nothing dammit man vista sucks it's messed up ffs i mean just it wouldn't open firefox said the process was running i tried to end the proces but it didn't end so i tought WTF i shutdown pc start him up samd shit i'm thinking omfg i reboot the pc oh firefox works now WTF shutdown=no reboot=yes??? where's the fucking logic???

Oh and since I got this new laptop yesterday 7 days ago i had about let's see i don't know about 3 BSOD's while on my old pc that's like 4 years old had maybe 3 BSOD's in those whole 4 years i mean Bill my man do the fuck something lazy fucker!!!

and then the fucking resources vista is eating off your system i mean FUCK man when I start up my pc it's almost 900mb!!! then it drops to like 600mb but it's still too much on XP i can get it down to 290mb!!!!

conclusion Vista sucks donkey balls and has a LOT of improvement to do and I would so fucking remove it from my system and get XP gladly if it wasn't for DX 10 goddammit fucking world with the fucking marketing politic damn you!!!!

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:45 PM »
Razor was totally right, The Witcher runs really smoothly even with fully maxed settings on my pc, playing at 1280x1024 all settings to the max and even antialiasing and anisotropic maxed too and i dont get any spikes or fps lag, while on nwn2 that has even crappier graphics i could only run it smoothly at 1024x768 with shadows on low and of course no antialiasing or anisotropic and i still had some fps lag sometimes, HUGE difference.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »
Razor was totally right,
[snapback]38270[/snapback]

never question me young padawan...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:08:52 PM by Razor Blade »

Chard!

The Witcher
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
I have nasty lag on NWN2. Same with the old NWN... while my other games play smoothly...

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »
I have nasty lag on NWN2. Same with the old NWN... while my other games play smoothly...
[snapback]38273[/snapback]

You must use the force my young padawan and with the force i mean the force of nVidia GeForce gaming lol no seriously get a better graphics card and you won't have lag....

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
The Witcher
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »
never question me young padawan...
[snapback]38272[/snapback]

I never questioned you on that.. :0

Lag on nwn1? i could already play nwn1 maxed with my old radeon 9200 :0, i have x1900gt now.

I took some screens since razor doesnt know how to :P.
(the blurry one its because i got drunk xD, and one all lighted up was because a thunder appeared when i took the pic)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Witcher
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »
So, last week I went to Best Buy to pick up a copy of Spore. While I was there I figured I should get a second new game that Throbble and I could play while the other one of us is glued to Spore. So I picked up The Witcher.

I've only played it a couple days but I'll say this one thing about it: The Witcher is what NWN2 was suppose to be! I highly recommend this game to anyone who was disappointed by NWN2.

I got a copy of the original game, but the "Enhanced Edition" was released in America today and it features a remastered version of the game, new improved models, voice overs and textures as well as some tweaks to the storyline and quests. Also, the most recent patch gives you some new mini-adventures and you can even download a toolset from their web site.

There are a couple drawbacks however, but they aren't a big problem:

The game takes forever to install (requires 8.5 Gigs of hard drive space) and the patch is just over 300 MB so it took me 1 1/2 hours between the time I opened the box to the time I started playing. This doesn't include the 30+ minutes of introductory movie and opening cut-scenes.

I also ran into a problem at the end of chapter 1 where you have to go through some 15 minutes of cut-scenes before getting your ass handed to you by the boss monster, you can't save during the battle so if you die you have to go through all those cut-scenes preceding the battle. AND even if you win the fight with the boss, depending on your choices, you may be in another battle immediately following without a chance to save or rest.

Which brings me to my last problem with the game, Throbble's compy meets the minimum system requirements but the game defaults to 1280X1024, 16X Antistropic Filtering, 8X Anti Aliasing and all the other video settings at max. Since you can only change the settings from within the game that means I had to sit through a half hour of very choppy cut-scenes before I got the option to crank the graphics down.

These are all minor complaints and they are greatly overshadowed by the amazing storyline, attention to graphical and audio detail, and compelling characters and settings. This game storyline and setting are a bit reminiscent of Planescape: Torment while the character level system reminds me of the SPECIAL system used for the Fallout series. Also, the combat is a lot of fun, you can do real time combos (and pause combat at anytime) and learn new fighting techniques when you level. If anyone has been hurting for a good CRPG story get this game.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »
I'll definitely give that a go after I finish with NWN2.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
OK, this is really cool, they have released a patch that upgrades the original Witcher game to the Enhanced Edition! How cool is that?

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Patch

Don't forget to download the two new bonus mini-adventures too.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »
Based on your post, I think I'm actually going to get that. It just won't be until after my next upgrade compy components come. I already, have a new HDD, PSU, and V-Card. Plus a motherboard I have yet to install (I want to wait for the new parts even though the old parts are compatible. Since I'm getting more RAM and a Processor)

The game looks and sounds really sweet, I just got rent coming up and insurance bills and whatnot, so I'll have to hold off a bit till I can finish upgrading my comp and buying it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 01:54:39 AM »
Check out the screen shots of the PS3 version of The Witcher.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/thewitcherriseofthewhitewolf/images.html?sid=6201882&tag=gumballs;title;3

Oh dear...too bad it's so far off still.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 03:43:03 AM »
Is it going to be the exact same game or an offshoot/parallel storyline?
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
I run nwn2 with no lag or fps spikes at 1680 x 1050 lol.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »

I think it's going to be more or less the same game, probably with some additions.

@Mercy: A bit off topic there? lol
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:59:15 PM by Mo »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »
Well, it was being discussed earlier in the posts lol. I was just replying to it. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »
It's going to be the same game but with completely new models, textures and plant life. Basically it will be an enhanced enhanced edition.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
It's going to be the same game but with completely new models, textures and plant life. Basically it will be an enhanced enhanced edition.

Sounds good, I figure Ill pick up The Witcher within the next week, im probably only a few hours playtime from the end of NWN2 singleplayer.

Im not waiting for Q3 2009 to try this game on my PS3
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »
Actually, that's a lie, I just went out and bought it. Its installing right now.
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 10:57:40 PM »
The enhanced edition is $9.99 on direct2drive. I think I'll pick it up tonight.