Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 27265 times)

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
I've gone from a cable to modem no problem and then used a router with the modem and again no problem.  You may need to setup a Windows network?

Could you take some screen shots of Vista? I'm curious.
[snapback]38086[/snapback]

you know i would have no problems with that but I can't find "paint" anywhere to past the screens or where the screenshots are saved i have no idea.... :o
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 07:19:07 PM »
BTW Hell yeah I called it "him" cuz it's my precious now and i'll shoot anyone who comes close to HIM!
[snapback]38071[/snapback]
I knew you were gay. :lol:

you know i would have no problems with that but I can't find "paint" anywhere to past the screens or where the screenshots are saved i have no idea.... :o
[snapback]38087[/snapback]
Bwahahahahaha!! That made me laugh madly for about five seconds, good job. rofl. :lol:  :lol:

Paint... lmfao.

Here. Visit this thread, and download one of those programs, they should do the trick for you. I'd suggest GIMP 2 myself. Your images will also come out better quality than if you used microsoft paint. If you need a link to something, just do a google search on the program name.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2007, 07:16:54 AM »
I have some intresting questions....

first off what's the difference between HDR and bloom and wich is better in Oblivion to turn on cuz geforce cards can't turn both on.

and second how's the deal now between dual core processors i saw NFS needs a 3Ghz processor now i have a dual core @2Ghz does that mean two processors @2Ghz=4Ghz??
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
and second how's the deal now between dual core processors i saw NFS needs a 3Ghz processor now i have a dual core @2Ghz does that mean two processors @2Ghz=4Ghz??
[snapback]38098[/snapback]
It's not really as cut and dry as 2x2Ghz = 4Ghz but a dual core 2Ghz is considered "faster" than a single core 3Ghz. Most games put down either the single core requirements or the dual core, they need to start putting both down.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »
NFS is probably requesting a 3Ghz+ P4 processor.  Which is absolute junk compared to lower clocked Core 2s.  Don't worry about it.  Besides the Extreme Editions there are no 3Ghz Core 2s, but basically all of them are faster than P4s, due to much better architectures.  Games these days still only use 1 core and won't make use of the 2nd.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2007, 01:55:55 PM »
Games these days still only use 1 core and won't make use of the 2nd.
[snapback]38111[/snapback]
*cough* Quake 4 *cough*

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
first off what's the difference between HDR and bloom and wich is better in Oblivion to turn on cuz geforce cards can't turn both on.
[snapback]38098[/snapback]
I don't know what HDR or bloom is. Hmm HDR... High Definition Rendering!? lol, it's a good guess but probably not. :D

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
*cough* Quake 4 *cough*

[snapback]38112[/snapback]

1 game and counting.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
NFS is probably requesting a 3Ghz+ P4 processor.  Which is absolute junk compared to lower clocked Core 2s.  Don't worry about it.  Besides the Extreme Editions there are no 3Ghz Core 2s, but basically all of them are faster than P4s, due to much better architectures.  Games these days still only use 1 core and won't make use of the 2nd.
[snapback]38111[/snapback]

dunno why i'm worriying lol if it can run bioshock on full detail NFS shouldn't be a problem...

but can someone give me a program to make screenies with cuz GIMP 2 doesn't work it starts loading and then stoppes in the half it never opens.....

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2007, 09:23:17 AM »
Hypersonic sells them. :D
[snapback]37877[/snapback]

Hypersonic just got bought by OCZ.  Should be a good acquisitions.   OCZ should be able to market these PCs better.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Tangentially related: I finally upgraded my OS (and by association my hard drive) in order to play Hellgate - now I have XP SP2 and a total of 750 GB of space.

Oh and technically speaking, 420 did the upgrade, because I don't like the idea of dissecting my own brain. So thank you, hon!

-Throoblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »
I got me a T61p and configured a gentoo on it.

Words just aren't enough to describe this awesome combination.

- Mel
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:44:19 PM by Tea-cup »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »
I got me a T61p and configured a gentoo on it.

- Mel
[snapback]38615[/snapback]

Ah good old Thinkpads....For some reason I just can't get along with people who loved them.  My ex-gf is obsessed with them.

I guess i can't understand all you introverted Asbergers-types who love those ugly things :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
I guess i can't understand all you introverted Asbergers-types who love those ugly things
[snapback]38616[/snapback]
What I don't understand is how do you play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars on it?

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »
I got me a T61p .

- Mel
[snapback]38615[/snapback]

zomg that thing costs over 2600â?¬ ??? wtf?

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »
What I don't understand is how do you play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars on it?

[snapback]38617[/snapback]
I don't see the problem, can you be more specific?

@Mo: People just prefer them over you. ^_^

- Mel
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:54:49 PM by Tea-cup »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
I don't see the problem, can you be more specific?

[snapback]38621[/snapback]
Well, for one thing, I don't think ET:QW runs on Linux. And for another, you can't get any serious W,A,S,D action done on that tiny little keyboard!

I hope you bought a larger computer to plug it in to.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »
Well, for one thing, I don't think ET:QW runs on Linux. And for another, you can't get any serious W,A,S,D action done on that tiny little keyboard!

I hope you bought a larger computer to plug it in to.

[snapback]38622[/snapback]

He probably runs in it WINE, which is a Windows emulator.  He mentioned he got Guild Wars working it in before I believe.  I wouldn't expect good 3D graphical performance in that setup however.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »
I'm very comfortable with the keyboard. From a gamers view there is one flaw, from the left, the "ctrl" key comes after the "fn". On linux I can use the "fn" as "ctrl", so this flaw is limited to windows. (i.e. who cares)

About wine; it is not a windows emulator. *shoots Mo death* It is an extra layer between the application and the system. Layers for the sake of compatibility exist in windows too, in all shapes and colours. If a program runs with wine and how, highly depends on the application and the user configuring everything. In my case it is unreasonable to use windows for anything aside from supreme commander.

- Mel
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:41:28 PM by Tea-cup »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
I'm very comfortable with the keyboard. From a gamers view there is one flaw, from the left, the "ctrl" key comes after the "fn". On linux I can use the "fn" as "ctrl", so this flaw is limited to windows. (i.e. who cares)

About wine; it is not a windows emulator. *shoots Mo death* It is an extra layer between the application and the system. Layers for the sake of compatibility exist in windows too, in all shapes and colours. If a program runs with wine and how, highly depends on the application and the user configuring everything. In my case it is unreasonable to use windows for anything aside from supreme commander.

- Mel
[snapback]38628[/snapback]

lol ok fine.  I just looked it up WINE actually stands for: Wine Is Not an Emulator.  But if you ask me the semantics just keep getting more blurred.  Emulating just means "pretending to be", as a definition of the word.  WINE is not Windows, but the software believes it is running on Windows and not Linux, so technically WINE is pretending to be Windows whether it wants to or not.  Hence it is emulating Windows.  Hey don't shoot me shoot the dictionary.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:43:29 PM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2007, 10:51:34 PM »
[snapback]38628[/snapback]

lol ok fine. I just looked it up WINE actually stands for: Wine Is Not an Emulator. But if you ask me the semantics just keep getting more blurred. Emulating just means "pretending to be", as a definition of the word. WINE is not Windows, but the software believes it is running on Windows and not Linux, so technically WINE is pretending to be Windows whether it wants to or not. Hence it is emulating Windows. Hey don't shoot me shoot the dictionary.

Rather than acting as a full emulator, Wine implements a compatibility layer, providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and processes to substitute for the Windows NT kernel.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2007, 11:21:37 PM »
Yes that's what i read.  They can't use the same DLLs as Windows as that would be illegal.  Fine, WINE isn't pretending to be anything but WINE.  Why don't you whine about it :P

Anyway, I installed WINE on my OpenSuse system and guess what the RPM description was "A Windows Emulator" hah guess someone forgot to tell who ever wrote that huh.

I wanted to run a test but WINE doens't like my framebuffer config (need to fix that one day) and it can't create windows.  So Mel why don't you run my test.  Download CPUZ, I'm sure you know what that is.  Run it using WINE, click the about tab, and let me know what it says under Windows Version, if anything.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »
I wasn't arguing with you. I was just posting your opinions plus that information just to see where it goes.

I'm evil like that.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »
@Mo
You're talking as if the whole windows operating system isn't anything more than the Application Programming Interface. Calling it "a windows emulator" is therefor an inaccurate description. There are reasons why wine stands for "WINE Is Not an Emulator". Listing it under "emulators" in a distribution tree is reasonable, but for the rpm to have a decent description, it should report "a windows API implementation". You can blame me for nitpicking if you like.

*shoots HellMasterHell death* (no particular reason)

- Mel

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Computer
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
@Mo
You're talking as if the whole windows operating system isn't anything more than the Application Programming Interface. Calling it "a windows emulator" is therefor an inaccurate description. There are reasons why wine stands for "WINE Is Not an Emulator". Listing it under "emulators" in a distribution tree is reasonable, but for the rpm to have a decent description, it should report "a windows API implementation". You can blame me for nitpicking if you like.

*shoots HellMasterHell death* (no particular reason)

- Mel
[snapback]38634[/snapback]
I think If I'd have to agree with somebody, it'd be Mel, simply because I think of an emulator as emulating a WHOLE program/application/whatthefuckever. A whole piece of software, what have you. This thing only seems to essentially "emulate" one small part of the whole. If I sound like I don't know what I am talking about, fuck you I wasn't talking to you. I'm talking to myself. Leave me alone. :lol:

Mel, why did you shoot my death? :lol: