Author Topic: What do I have to know for a 3D engine?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
What do I have to know for a 3D engine?
« on: September 02, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »
Oke basiclly the problem is everyone who has a GeForce 6  series and higher 3d card can't run FF VIII in Direct 3D cuz of some funny reason nvidia tought these cards shouldn't support 8bit palleted textures (yeah thx alot of robbing me from my favo game you cocksuckers :aggressive:) excuse me for my language.

So anyway while FF VII runs perfectly here on 3D cuz a guy made a patch for working oke nice but no one does it for FF VIII, i've seen it on nVidia forums they moan and say make it make it wtv...no one does it lazy bum bastards.
That's why I wanna do it! I know shit about graphical engines or wtv but I wanna try it.
I'm currently unemployed since I graduated and I have lot's of free time on my hands, so i'm willing to learn it because FF 8 is my favorite game and I wanna play it in direct 3D, Sofware renderer is ugly ffs!!! where are we 1998???
and it'll keep my mind busy off some let's say....love affaires....but that's a other story.

So my questions:
-what do I need to know for letting FF 8 work in 3D on these "newer" 3d-cards?
-if it's writing codes in graphical engines wich language best to learn?? C++??
-Where is the code of graphical engines written in games can't find them in the FF folder...
-And where the heck is the .ini file of FF i mean it's not there either

So all advice is welcome!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Chard!

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »
I really don't know how to help you here... Except by telling you that you should buy a freaking PSone/PS2 for like 10 euros and order FFVIII from bol.com. =P

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
I really don't know how to help you here... Except by telling you that you should buy a freaking PSone/PS2 for like 10 euros and order FFVIII from bol.com. =P
[snapback]37215[/snapback]

Nah i wanna play it on my pc
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:30:18 PM »
Razor, download epsxe 6 and the FFVIII iso, i played FFVIII on the emulator with a radeon 9250 (thats like a geforce 5200 or less) and it looked nice, so if you have a decent graphic card, that emulator comes with a lot of graphic tweaks. Epsxe is a psone emulator so it has been long time finished, you can make games run even faster than in psone, adjusting some options. If you dl it and have any problem with it just tell me, i had a lot of experience with that emulator. But in my opinion Chrono Cross its way better than FFVIII and you know im a FF freak, so you could get that game too and play it on the emu.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
Razor, download epsxe 6 and the FFVIII iso, i played FFVIII on the emulator with a radeon 9250 (thats like a geforce 5200 or less) and it looked nice, so if you have a decent graphic card, that emulator comes with a lot of graphic tweaks. Epsxe is a psone emulator so it has been long time finished, you can make games run even faster than in psone, adjusting some options. If you dl it and have any problem with it just tell me, i had a lot of experience with that emulator. But in my opinion Chrono Cross its way better than FFVIII and you know im a FF freak, so you could get that game too and play it on the emu.
[snapback]37220[/snapback]

i'll keep that in mind as a last resort, still I would like to learn what I could do about the FF on pc, I got enough free time on my hands so why not?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 07:57:30 PM »
Oke basiclly the problem is everyone who has a GeForce 6  series and higher 3d card can't run FF VIII in Direct 3D cuz of some funny reason nvidia tought these cards shouldn't support 8bit palleted textures (yeah thx alot of robbing me from my favo game you cocksuckers :aggressive:) excuse me for my language.
[snapback]37213[/snapback]
Had the exact same problem with Planescape: Torment and it wasn't even a 3d game!

Here is what you do (at least for Windows XP):

1. Right-click on your desktop and choose "Properties" to bring op the Display Properties window.

2. Choose the "Settings" tab and then click the "Advanced" button to bring up the advanced display settings.

3. Choose the "Troubleshoot" tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the left, toward "None", until it says "Disable all Direct Draw and Direct 3D accelerators..." (Should be 3 away from the "Full" setting.)

This should allow you to play any games using 8bit textures. Don't worry about game slow-down if you have a newer computer the CPU will pick up the slack.

Remember to set the slider back to "Full" after you finish playing your ancient games!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 07:58:40 PM by 420 »

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »
Had the exact same problem with Planescape: Torment and it wasn't even a 3d game!

Here is what you do (at least for Windows XP):

1. Right-click on your desktop and choose "Properties" to bring op the Display Properties window.

2. Choose the "Settings" tab and then click the "Advanced" button to bring up the advanced display settings.

3. Choose the "Troubleshoot" tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the left, toward "None", until it says "Disable all Direct Draw and Direct 3D accelerators..." (Should be 3 away from the "Full" setting.)

This should allow you to play any games using 8bit textures. Don't worry about game slow-down if you have a newer computer the CPU will pick up the slack.

Remember to set the slider back to "Full" after you finish playing your ancient games!

[snapback]37222[/snapback]

It definetly has some improvement but are you sure? when I run the configuration tool of FF it says I fail on every direct 3D aspect and I can only choose software renderer...?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:43:28 PM »
It definetly has some improvement but are you sure? when I run the configuration tool of FF it says I fail on every direct 3D aspect and I can only choose software renderer...?
[snapback]37223[/snapback]
Whoops. That's lame. I guess it only works on old non-3d games.

There is another thing you can try. The newest nVidia drivers (162.18) has a compatibility option for specific games. I don't have it installed right now because it isn't compatible with NWN (ironic eh?) but check out the advanced options and look for a list of games where you can check boxes to make the video card run them better.