Author Topic: SecuROM vs. Vista and DVD R/W  (Read 4733 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
SecuROM vs. Vista and DVD R/W
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »
Quick introduction:
SecuROM is a program used by some computer game companies (especially the ones that are also released on consoles). It's sole purpose seems to be to prevent legitimate owners of the game from accessing the game itself.

The two biggest issues is that SecuROM doesn't work with Vista or with DVD drives that have write capabilities.

After extensive research, testing and support emails I finally got KotOR to run on my computer. Here is what I did.

Thank you for your email. We are sorry that you are having issues with the use of your software. The most efficient way for us to assist is to have you produce an analysis file for evaluation, for one of the games your are having problems running.

In order to generate this analysis file, please do the following:

1) Make sure the original 'play' disc is in a physical, local CD or DVD drive.
2) Re-start your computer (the reboot is to assure that there are no additional instances of the software running when generating the file).
3) With your mouse, right-click on the application's desktop shortcut, or the actual application's executable file in the installation folder, and a menu will appear.
4) Choose 'Launch Analysis' from the menu.
5) A disclaimer window may appear on your screen. To proceed click 'Yes'. Another window may appear stating that an analysis log will be generated, if so click 'OK'. If any error messages appear, click 'Cancel' to continue.
6) After a period of time, the program will generate a file named 'AnalysisLog.sr0' and place it at the root of your hard drive (usually C:). When the file has been generated, a dialog may appear stating it has finished. Click 'OK' to complete the process.To locate it go to 'My Computer' and open your hard drive (usually C:).
Note: Vista users see further instructions below.
7) Please compress the file using a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, or WinAce (to avoid email corruption), and attach it to your email to support@securom.com.

Vista Users:
Follow the steps outlined above through step 6. Using Vista the filed will be stored in the following path: 'C:\Users\?YOUR  USER?\AppData\Local\Temp\AnalysisLog.sr0'. If by chance this folder is hidden, you may have to display hidden folders. To do so, please follow these steps:
1. Go to 'Start' and left-click on 'Control Panel'.
2. Left-click on 'Appearance and Personalization'. Then select 'Folder Options'.
3. Now select the 'View' tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders'. You should now have access to the folder.

If you do not see the 'Launch Analysis' option available in the menu after you re-start your computer, you can generate it using the command line. Please follow these steps:

1) Make sure the original 'play' disc is in a physical, local CD or DVD drive.
2) Re-start your computer (the reboot is to assure that there are no additional instances of the software running when generating the file).
3) With your mouse, right-click on the application's desktop shortcut and a menu will appear.
4) Choose 'Properties', then highlight and copy everything in the 'Target' window.
5) Click 'Start' from your toolbar, then click 'Run'. Next type 'cmd' in the text box and press 'Enter'. A 'DOS' window will appear.
6) Type 'cd\' (without quotes) and press 'Enter' to get to the root of your hard drive (you may have to type 'cd ..' several times to get to C:\).
7) With your mouse, right-click in the 'DOS' window and choose 'Paste'.
8) Press the Spacebar on your keyboard once and add the text '/secuexp'. Then press 'Enter'.
9) A disclaimer window may appear on your screen. To proceed click 'Yes'. Another window may appear stating that an analysis log will be generated, if so click 'OK'. If any error messages appear, click 'Cancel' to continue.
10) After a period of time, the program will generate a file named 'AnalysisLog.sr0' and place it at the root of your hard drive (usually C:). When the file has been generated, a dialog may appear stating it has finished. Click 'OK' to complete the process.To locate it go to 'My Computer' and open your hard drive (usually C:).
Note: Vista users see notes above.
11) Please compress the file using a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, or WinAce (to avoid  email corruption), and attach it to your email to support@securom.com.

When we receive the analysis file, we will evaluate your issue and respond with a resolution.

Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team
SecuROM on  the web: http://www.securom.com
or via e-mail:  support@securom.com
NOTE: With a game like KotOR you must use the actual game launching .exe from the install directory, not the shortcut on the desktop since that just brings up a menu.

I did this and got this email the next morning:
Thank you for your e-mail. Please rename your original 'SWKOTOR.EXE', (located here  C:\PROGRAM FILES\LUCASARTS\SWKOTOR\SWKOTOR.EXE),  to 'SWKOTOR.OLD'. Then click on the link below or copy and paste it into your web browser. From the 'File Download' window click 'Open' and extract the new 'SWKOTOR.EXE' into the same folder and re-start the application.

The link for the new file is:
http://www.securom.com/support/customers/l...081/swkotor.zip

If the problem persists, please send another analysis file of the latest executable to us.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team
SecuROM on the web: http://www.securom.com
or via e-mail: support@securom.com
It worked like a charm and now I can play KotOR on my computer (it already ran without any problems on Throbble's compy).

It looks like I'll have to follow this same process for Deus Ex 2 and possibly for Bioshock.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
:blink:

.....Thank you for buying our game.  Please make sure to take the next 2 weeks off to follow out 2000 step process to getting your game working.

What did they do? Build a custom .exe file for you?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:14:24 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
What did they do? Build a custom .exe file for you?
[snapback]37137[/snapback]
Basically, I think they built a bunch of custom .exe files for each game that each address specific problems. Since the incompatibility with DVD write drives was well known they probably just linked me to a pre-existing file.

I suspect if Cuchulann does the same thing with his Vista machine they will probably link him to a different "fixed" KotOR .exe.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:50:35 PM by 420 »

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
Never had a problem installing Kotor. Cheers for the guide but, Dont have vista installed anyway. Its a peice of shit, Looks sexy but.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
Lame. Glad I don't have to worry about that shit.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:21 PM »
I got stuck with vista on my new compy. Ther was no option to get XP instead. I've often thought of wiping the hard drive and installing XP with my old disk but i dont relish the idea of spending a day re-installing everything.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »
I got stuck with vista on my new compy. Ther was no option to get XP instead. I've often thought of wiping the hard drive and installing XP with my old disk but i dont relish the idea of spending a day re-installing everything.
[snapback]37147[/snapback]

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.  XP is nice, but MS has made sure you'll be screwed soon with no DX10 on XP.  No point in hanging around XP if you don't need to.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 10:45:31 PM »
I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.  XP is nice, but MS has made sure you'll be screwed soon with no DX10 on XP.  No point in hanging around XP if you don't need to.
[snapback]37151[/snapback]
Bioshock has DX10 texture support. In fact, it's an option that you can select in-game. If it's that easy to switch between DX10 textures and DX9, then I don't see any reason why game companies wouldn't continue the practice of offering low/high res texture options. Microsoft has an obligation to support their operating systems for at least 10 years after release and the computer game industry is well aware of this.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »
Bioshock has DX10 texture support. In fact, it's an option that you can select in-game. If it's that easy to switch between DX10 textures and DX9, then I don't see any reason why game companies wouldn't continue the practice of offering low/high res texture options. Microsoft has an obligation to support their operating systems for at least 10 years after release and the computer game industry is well aware of this.

[snapback]37153[/snapback]

Sure games will still be available in DX9 for some time...but you'll be missing out.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:58:32 PM »
Sure games will still be available in DX9 for some time...but you'll be missing out.
[snapback]37154[/snapback]
Considering the vast amount of dangerous chemicals I'm on when I play computer games, I don't think it will make much of a difference.